Menu

How do you mark answers correct/incorrect?

Marking poll  

129 members have voted

1. 1. How do you (most often) mark answers correct?

• With a check mark
    • With a "c"
    • With some other mark
    • I don't put marks next to correct answers
    • By indicating the points received
    • Other
    • I don't grade/mark up my student's work
  2. 2. How do you (most often) mark answers incorrect?

• With an "x"
    • With a check mark
    • With some other mark
    • By indicating points received/lost
    • I don't put marks next to incorrect answers
    • Other
    • I don't grade/mark up my student's work

I use a check mark for correct and an x for incorrect.  Usually in red, sometimes in pink.  :)  For math, however, I usually mark an incorrect problem by circling it.  It makes it easier to spot when the kids go back and do corrections.  If I am feeling generous and there was only a simple calculation error, I will sometimes just circle the one or two incorrect digits in a problem. 

I use checks for correct, partly because that's how most of my teachers did it, partly because if I'm interrupted I k ow where to pick up again. I do remember some teachers did checks for incorrect answers, but most used x for incorrect and check for correct and so it was confusing.

"Other" to both questions.

Usually, a check mark for correct answers.

For a test where point values vary, I write the number of points possible. Example below:

10 (1.) List the blah blah of the blah blah blahblahsa.

I circle incorrect answers, then check them off as they are corrected. If it goes back for a second round of corrections (usually math) I might use a marker/highlighter so it doesn't get missed with all of the extra writing. Esp. in math, I will circle or indicate where the problem went off track, so they can begin from there.

Tests with variable point values will have points earned over points possible, example,below:

6/10. (1.) Describe the blabby blahblah effect on footzerstompen.

I leave correct unmarked. I vary in how I mark incorrect answers. Sometimes I circle it. If there isn't space for circling I may put an x or check next to it. If it is a spelling error I often circle it with sp written Above it. In writing I use underlines for incorrect capitalization or tense or structure. I also add arrows with words written Above for missing words. When it has been corrected I star over my error mark.

*Ok do not know why my stupid phone insists on capitalizing the word Above....

I have never heard of using a check for correct, never, so strange lol

As a general rule I do not mark correct answers except for on a test however when I do mark a correct answer it is always with a tick (check mark), I have never seen any other way of marking an answer correct.

Wrong answers I usually put an X next to, sometimes I circle the question. In writing I usually circle the issue.

Cannot get my head around a tick meaning a wrong answer in some areas.

• Like 1

Unmarked or checkmark for correct, x (or circle or whatever) for incorrect.

Btw, my Dad was a high school math teacher, and I marked papers for him from about age of 3.... I had the key and the instructions were something like.....

If the answer is correct and the work shown looks a lot like this, put full marks. If the answer is wrong and work is shown, put in the flagged pile (he would figure out part marks.) If answer was correct but no work shown give this many marks. If answer is correct but work shown did not look anything like the key, put i the flagged pile. If there is nothing, mark as a 0. If answer wrong and no work shown, assign a 0.

I am sure he had a quick look through.....

But anyway, another reason to mark both right and wrong in a school situation.... there may be more than one person doing the marking.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I circle wrong answers so they know what to try again and if the second try is no good then we work it together. I don't mark correct answers, but my kids still like stickers so I occasionally put a sticker on well done pages. Otherwise, I don't grade work at all. I know I will have to soon, but my kids are still young.

• 2 weeks later...

I really only mark up math tests.  I put a "c" by correct answers and circle incorrect answers.  Then, once the answers have been corrected, I put a fraction above it for the amount of credit I'll give for that corrected answer (generally 3/4 if it was just a silly error and is easily corrected, 1/2 if it was a more serious error and is corrected without any help from me, and 1/4 if she needs a hint on how to correct it and then does it right).  

I really only mark up math tests.  I put a "c" by correct answers and circle incorrect answers.  Then, once the answers have been corrected, I put a fraction above it for the amount of credit I'll give for that corrected answer (generally 3/4 if it was just a silly error and is easily corrected, 1/2 if it was a more serious error and is corrected without any help from me, and 1/4 if she needs a hint on how to correct it and then does it right).  

You give credit for answers that were initially wrong? Is this common? Maybe it is different where you are but here you get 0 for a wrong answer or if showing working out was required up to 1/2 for a problem where the working out was correct but a simple error resulted in an incorrect final answer. I have never heard of giving partial credit on a test to an answer that was initially marked wrong and then re-answered.

You give credit for answers that were initially wrong? Is this common? Maybe it is different where you are but here you get 0 for a wrong answer or if showing working out was required up to 1/2 for a problem where the working out was correct but a simple error resulted in an incorrect final answer. I have never heard of giving partial credit on a test to an answer that was initially marked wrong and then re-answered.

I do.  I don't know if it's common, and I don't know if I'll continue it into middle school or high school, but for my perfectionist rising 4th grader it helps motivate her to try again without too much frustration.  :)  If she makes lots of mistakes, it clearly shows me that we need to stay on that lesson and we will not move on after the test, but she usually gets at least 90% on her tests before fixing errors, anyhow.

I do remember at least one teacher in my own grade school years giving us a chance to raise our grades by fixing our errors.  I enjoyed that.  It put less emphasis on the "test" to me and more on the learning.

If it's something where I expect the kid to keep correcting until it's perfect (something like a math worksheet with computation problems), then I put a check next to correct, and have the kid go back and correct the ones that are unmarked.  Then I check those too.  

If it's a test, then I'll use 2 different colors for the original correct answers and the test corrections.  

I had a college prof do that, iirc.

Incorrect answers get marked with a highlighter marker dot.  The first time I mark with a yellow highlighter then return the paper to the child in a pocket folder with  "please correct" labeled on one side.  The child corrects the paper and moves it to the other pocket in the same folder marked "please check."  I  check a second time and mark with green marker any answers that are still incorrect, and return the paper to the "please correct" pocket.  Any misunderstood concepts are worked on with me.  Rarely I will mark a third time in pink.  This is almost always when a child is skipping something out of laziness.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

I don't mark next to correct answers.  Next to incorrect answers I put a red X ...

At the top of the page I put the total correct answers over the total possible.  Then give a grade.  I try to add comments, stickers, smiley faces, etc... at the top depending on the work.  

My 10y/o has been on the gymnastics team since she was 4. She understood gymnastic scoring from around that same age.  The first time I graded her work and she saw 100% she cried.  She was so upset that she didn't get a 10.  A 10 is PERFECT!  I still grade her papers like that.  9.6 is a 96%.  8.4 is an 84%.  LOL!