Menu

How would you implement a dress code?

Aura

Also, I hate the whole idea anyway. When you are a kid is the only time you will probably ever be able to wear weird clothes, have blue spiked hair, and crazy make up. When you are an adult and in the business world, then you can dress like you are in the business world. Kids shouldn't have to dress and act like adults.

I like uniforms. Strict ones. At my school, I had no idea who was on a scholarship and who had tons of money. We met as equals without brands to display, and proved ourselves academically.

There's plenty of time in the evenings and at weekends to wear crazy clothes, and one can express oneself just fine in a uniform.

• Like 5

I like uniforms. Strict ones. At my school, I had no idea who was on a scholarship and who had tons of money. We met as equals without brands to display, and proved ourselves academically.

There's plenty of time in the evenings and at weekends to wear crazy clothes, and one can express oneself just fine in a uniform.

This is assuming people don't know each other in town and don't see what they drive to school/if they have a car. There are just so many occasions where people already know something about each other. Oh your last name sounds familiar... isn't your dad the local dentist? Etc.

• Like 3

I disagree. Kids see what the parents are wearing, who drives a crappy car, who has worn out shoes, etc. Schools should focus on teaching respectful behavior to everyone not trying to make everyone look equal.

• Like 2

This is assuming people don't know each other in town and don't see what they drive to school/if they have a car. There are just so many occasions where people already know something about each other. Oh your last name sounds familiar... isn't your dad the local dentist? Etc.

It was a big city and we all came to school on the public bus

I had no idea about my schoolmates' families.

Yeah, I think people will often still know.  It just takes clothing off the table as a big issue during school.  Some kids are never that into clothes, but a lot are, and some social groups make it a big deal.  So the aspect of having whatever is the in thing for school every day, or disagreements about what is appropriate, are minimized, including at home.

• Like 1

My nieces attend a uniform school. It's

pretty straight forwards:

Choice of bottoms: khaki or navy twill slacks, khaki or navy twill shorts, khaki or navy twill skorts or skirts. If you wear a skirt, you need to wear white or navy tights.

Choice of tops: white or navy polo shirts or button down white shirt with sleeves.

Optional: school sweat shirt or white or navy sweater (shirt must still be worn.)

Underwear needs to be covered and belly and backs covered.

Most people just get it from the uniforms sales at Target, WalMart or Lands End. My older son needed some dress pants and a decent shirt for a presentation and is in "The growing too fast to invest in anything" stage. I got him a navy polo and khakis at Target for $15. He wore a colorful striped button down over it but if I were needing to outfit him for the uniforms at my nieces schools I could have been out of there with 5 polos and 2 pairs of pants for $40 with the displayed coupon.

There's a uniform closet at the school if someone shows up in booty shorts or low riders or shirts with words/language on them.

On Fridays they can wear jeans IF they wear a college tshirt or sweatshirt too. I asked my brother about why college shirts and he said it was so kids would get the idea that college is an option (this is a low income school which my brother voluntarily sends his kids too because of their diversity and strong staff. The uniforms were also a selling point for him. He says those on free/reduced lunch get a gift card or something to buy uniforms.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2