Menu

Choosing copywork passages (and disagreeing with grammar/mechanics); parent remediation

kaxy

My pal @Domestic_Engineer and I just hashed out a few things via email, and I'd like to submit the topic to the Hive.

With regard to copywork, do we yield to the book and its editor as the final say? What if we disagree with comma usage within? Do we teach alternatives, or do we emphasize the original?

For example, I chose what I thought was an innocuous passage from Little House in the Big Woods. I've triple-checked my transcription for accuracy, and it is as follows:

So as far as the little girl could see, there was only the one little house where she lived with her father and mother, her sister Mary and baby sister Carrie. (p. 2)

[...]

The little girl was named Laura and she called her father, Pa, and her mother, Ma. (p. 2)

Would you change commas in those sentences? Add some, perhaps? Or is it 100% accurate as-is? 

To my second and larger point, when choosing copywork from our books, do we teach the grammar and mechanics as we see it in the book? What if we prefer an Oxford comma? Do we change the text to meet our end goal? I had another example copywork selection from Paddle-to-the-Sea. The comma usage within was debatable. Do we even go there in that debate with our child and make edits to the original text or suggest alternates? I feel like I ought to be able to trust the grammar in classic books, and while typos exist in virtually any published work, there is strong likelihood that the book is correct.

Is it risky choosing our own copywork? Should I just use copywork selections from credible sources (WWE, BW, etc.)? 

Third point: I want to remediate my own understanding of grammar/mechanics/usage. Do you have recommendations for me? Maybe a book or three, or maybe a just-the-facts worktext.

I would change the commas to reflect the rules I was teaching.  So if I were to have my child copy those passages, I'd change them to read:

So, as far as the little girl could see, there was only the one little house where she lived with her father and mother, her sister Mary, and baby sister Carrie. (p. 2)

[...]

The little girl was named Laura, and she called her father Pa and her mother Ma. (p. 2)

• Like 2

I would too, do what EKS said.

Ha-ha, I just couldn't resist adding commas.

I've thought about this too. And we have read paddle twice ( boys love it) and I was ...hmmmm. Also, so I chose not to use that to copy.

I've just switched books and had them copy something else.

We use the copy work and pages in WWE.

I'm glad I'm not the only on e thats gone hmmm.

I've noticed it with quotations too. ...my boys even noticed and said. What's wrong. You? Or the book? Lol

So I just switch books ir stay with wwe. Usually, wwe but they so love copying, and ,tracing, and coloring the Beatrix Potter stories ( sorry, couldn't help doin the commas again lol.)

I would change the commas to reflect the rules I was teaching.  So if I were to have my child copy those passages, I'd change them to read:

So, as far as the little girl could see, there was only the one little house where she lived with her father and mother, her sister Mary, and baby sister Carrie. (p. 2)

[...]

The little girl was named Laura, and she called her father Pa and her mother Ma. (p. 2)

My gut is to lean to the original and have no comma following the "so," but I can see the argument for putting one there. I definitely prefer a comma following "Mary." I also would keep the commas to offset Pa and Ma in the 2nd example.

Ai yi yi, commas! Sometimes, there is one right answer. Sometimes, I think there are a few ways that would work.

I would go by personal preference for things like the Oxford comma. For everything else, I would use the rules of the grammar program/reference you are using. Edited to remove the Pa and Ma comment. They are not appositives, they are object complements, I think. 

This is why publishers have style guides! 

Edited by kbutton

So as far as the little girl could see, there was only the one little house, where she lived with her father and mother, her sister Mary, and [her] baby sister Carrie. 

[Comma added to make it clear that there was only the one house, not that there were lots of houses but only one where she lived with her family.  "Her" added to keep parallel construction, though it may be period appropriate to leave it out.]

The little girl was named Laura and she called her father "Pa" and her mother "Ma". 
[Or, alternately, I'd be ok with keeping the original as it is probably more period appropriate.]

I always teach the controversy when it comes to grammar.  Because I think it's the accurate way to go.  I never teach that something is right just because a book says it is.

Also, part of the fun of reading old books is that the cadence is different, and if you change the punctuation/usage you can lose that. I'd teach that too.

• Like 1

Also, part of the fun of reading old books is that the cadence is different, and if you change the punctuation/usage you can lose that. I'd teach that too.

So true on affecting the cadence! Sure, we might have a few correct ways of punctuating a sentence. But more importantly, I think we need to err on the side of the author. Sometimes incorrect grammar or usage is an intentional plot device, or is used within dialog. 

Ugh, those Eloise books come to mind! Bad writing, intentionally.  :lol:

I always teach the original. If it's something that I really disagree with or think that it will be too confusing for the kid, then I choose a different passage.

I don't belabor choosing dictation passages though. I never take more than a minute or two to pick the passage. I don't use a specific source - I just pick from our current read alouds and required reading books.

• Like 3