Menu

Puppy with D?

Ann.without.an.e

We are babysitting a 5 week old puppy for ten days.  He has very watery diarrhea.  I gave him pumpkin with probiotic and that seems to have helped some?  Any other thoughts?  Thanks :)

ETA:  I know that a puppy isn't supposed to be adopted until 8 weeks.  This is a rescue puppy that was surrendered at 3 weeks to a friend who is a foster mommy for the rescue.  The mom had an unusually large litter and this little guy was the runt.  He never had a chance to eat and he wasn't thriving.  

Edited by Attolia

Was he de-wormed right before you got him? That sounds like typical 5-week-old puppy diarrhea after de-wormimg. If so, I'm mot sure if there's anything you can (or should?) do about it.

????

a 5 week old puppy should not be away from its mom yet.

This could also be parvo which is deadly.

I was wondering about that too. I'm not a dog expert, but isn't 6 weeks the minimum weaning age?

I will say, however, that we got our puppy from the shelter. They claimed she was 2 months old, but there was NO WAY she was that old. I personally think she was pre-weaning age, but we got her anyway.

????

Its illegal in my state to sell a dog younger than 8 weeks. You can give it away for free before then, or adopt, but not buy. NO dog should be taken from the mother before 6 weeks MINIMUM, and really, 7 to 8 weeks is better. 5 weeks is way way way too young. And fragile. Parvo is a definite possibility, as the dog is too young to have been vaccinated, and was obviously separated from mom early so may not have the proper maternal antibodies. This dog needs a vet, ASAP. 

• Like 1

????

The mama had a huge litter, he was the runt, and he wasn't thriving.  We are actually watching him for a foster mom for the rescue that he was surrendered to.  He was surrendered at 3 weeks and she bottle fed him at first.

What kind of puppy is it? Smaller breeds can get critical even faster than normal. A small breed 5 week old puppy with diarrhea is an emergency for sure. Larger breed, I might wait until tomorrow. 

He's a mutt.  We think he may have some pit or boxer in him.  Not sure?  

I don't think it is parvo because his appetite is HUGE - he seems super hungry all the time.  They sent him with the cheap, corn based dog food (Pedigree?). I did switch him today to fresh chicken and veggie food and pumpkin.  He seems to be doing a lot better tonight.  His poop looks like pumpkin  :ack2:   Seriously, I will never eat pumpkin again, haha.  But last night and this morning it was completely watery so this is progress.

Ok, gotcha. So, no need to be angry at a breeder somewhere, lol. 

Bottle fed means his digestive system may be not up to par, the probiotics should help. honestly, some plain chicken, rice, pumpkin, and probiotics would be easiest on his tummy. 

• Like 1

Mine is a small breed (rescue) and was probably younger than the 8 weeks they "estimated".  The day after we brought him home, he had diarrhea, and we went straight to the emergency vet.  After a round of de-worming and IV fluids, he was much better.

I would not flirt with dehydration in any puppy, let alone one that's that young AND a runt.

• Like 2