Menu

Staying fit and healthy in college: track and fitness rooms

TwoEdgedSword

I assume that most if not all of the college weight rooms and cardio rooms are also open to students who are not on an athletic team. Maybe this isn't always true, bc I did see one college where the weight room was only open to varsity athletes and they had another one for JVers. Not sure what that college offered to non-athletes.

Anyway, what about indoor and outdoor tracks? Are they open to non track team members when the team is not practicing/training?

Thank you

We visited the largest college in my state last week, and their indoor track is available for general use during certain hours. Same with the competition pool.

They have a separate weight and cardio facility for college athletes, and three others for staff and students. One is open 24/7.

• Like 1

Maybe it's my state, but I've toured several state universities here and the fitness facilities for ordinary students are amazing. And most of the schools also have fitness classes just like those offered at typical gyms (zumba, tabata, cycling, yoga, pilates, interval training group fitness, etc). If you ask at the student facilities, they probably have a posting of when facilities like the outdoor track are available and also maps of local trail runs. 

• Like 3

None of the universities that my kids looked at allowed non-athletes to use the athlete weight rooms. However, they all had fitness centers available for student use. Pools, tracks, and gyms all had some open hours when students could use them, but of course those work around athlete training times.

Fitness centers are a very popular selling point. Most colleges have them or have them in the plans. 

Edited by Momto2Ns
  • Like 1

At my dc's universities, fitness rooms, pools, etc. were open to all students. Now there may have been special rooms for athletes only, I'm not sure. But there seemed to be ample facilities for everyone. DC's have never complained about lack of access.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

None of the universities that my kids looked at allowed non-athletes to use the athlete weight rooms. However, they all had fitness centers available for student use. Pools, tracks, and gyms all had some open hours when students could use them, but of course those work around athlete training times.

Fitness centers are a very popular selling point. Most colleges have them or have them in the plans. 

Yes but did the fitness centers have a full complement of weight machines, free weights as well as treadmills, exercise bikes, etc?

• Like 1

Yes but did the fitness centers have a full complement of weight machines, free weights as well as treadmills, exercise bikes, etc?

c

The schools we have looked at have the most beautiful workout facilities for all the students, not just athletes.

Weights, bikes, ellipticals and machines I don't even know how to describe. Dozens of each machine. Pool, whirlpool, lazy river. Exercise classes that rival the nicest gyms.

They were open from early AM till late at night for all students to use.

My kids go to gym regularly so this was something we quizzed them about.

My kids are not student athletes so I have no idea if the student athletes have separate facilities.

Edited by gingersmom
  • Like 1

The local university track is open to all students as well as the public for several hours per day. My ds 11 is in a program that meets there once per week. The upper track and stairs to the football stadium are also open to the public for free. The weight/fitness rooms are free and open to all students but closed to the public. Student athletes have separate facilities.

• Like 1