Menu

For those who eat no, or very little, sugar...

StaceyinLA

I generally don't eat much sugar with the exception of sweetening with dates, or maybe having a few dried figs with my nuts, and a little local honey in my yogurt (though this is not a regular thing). I gave up my weakness (coke) about 5 months back, and even though I consumed it, I never purchased it to have at home.

FF to this week when I got my espresso maker. Prior to that I was making cold coffee, putting some homemade almond milk in it and sweetening that with a little (very little) local honey.

Well, now I'm drinking (and absolutely enjoying) one double-shot cappuccino each morning with about 1/2 teaspoon sugar in it, and whatever is in the grass-fed organic half-in-half.

If I am eating a pretty clean diet otherwise, should I be beating myself up over this? I mean I want to be as healthy as I can be, but I don't know if that means I need to give up every, single thing I ever enjoyed in my life.

If you eat little or no sugar, what do you think? Do you have one daily splurge in your life?

**I HATE artificial sweeteners so going that route is just not an option. I think a little organic sugar is better for me than a chemical concoction (I also can't stand the taste of stevia).

As someone who eats little sugar for a different reason (diabetic), I firmly believe that if you are going to eat it, choose the best natiral sugars you can find and avoid the chemical products if at all possible.

Enjoy your coffee.

• Like 2

I think it's fine.  That said, it was no big deal at all for me to get used to unsweetened coffee and now I much prefer it that way.  That said, I cheat in other ways.  ;)  I prefer as minimally processed as possible too.

• Like 1

I don't know a polite way to say this, so I'm just going to say it and hope you take it in the spirit it's meant: if you're seriously beating yourself up over half a teaspoon of sugar every day, you may need to re-evaluate what you're doing and whether or not it's actually doing you any good. It does no good to eat a healthy diet, even a very healthy diet, if it's leading you to unhealthy thoughts and attitudes regarding food. Your mental health is at least as important as your physical health. Worrying over tiny choices is not healthy.

I don't know if you were being serious or hyperbolic. If you were kidding around and exaggerating a bit, then I apologize for coming off a bit strong there.

• Like 15

I don't build sugar cheats into my diet on a regular basis, but I don't beat myself up when I do decide to have something sweet. For me personally, it is almost impossible to moderate sugar. I either have too much, or cut it out completely. You sound like someone who is able to have a bit of sugar with no harm to the overall eating plan. Don't beat yourself up! :-)

I feel best when I am completely "clean" of sugar.  it requires a lot of commitment.  that said  . . I now allow myself an occasionally 'sweet' on special occasions.

I agree about no artifical sweeteners - they're still artifical and have their own issues.

speaking as someone who just changed thyroid meds and had them wreck utter havoc on my eating habits.  (adrenal support has been very helpful.)

If I am eating a pretty clean diet otherwise, should I be beating myself up over this? I mean I want to be as healthy as I can be, but I don't know if that means I need to give up every, single thing I ever enjoyed in my life.

I really don't think that giving up every single thing that you enjoy or beating yourself up over dietary choices is conducive to good health either. 

• Like 8

I don't know a polite way to say this, so I'm just going to say it and hope you take it in the spirit it's meant: if you're seriously beating yourself up over half a teaspoon of sugar every day, you may need to re-evaluate what you're doing and whether or not it's actually doing you any good. It does no good to eat a healthy diet, even a very healthy diet, if it's leading you to unhealthy thoughts and attitudes regarding food. Your mental health is at least as important as your physical health. Worrying over tiny choices is not healthy.

I don't know if you were being serious or hyperbolic. If you were kidding around and exaggerating a bit, then I apologize for coming off a bit strong there.

It's totally okay - I understand. I'm not really beating myself up over it, but I also know that letting a little in here and there generally leads to letting more in, etc. It's an addiction; I truly believe that. Of course I DO know that giving up the 16 teaspoon a serving cokes goes a LONG way in making up for my 1/2 teaspoon a day coffee!

I don't think I have unhealthy attitudes about food. I eat pretty balanced (and I cheat with other goodies; just not usually with a lot of sugar). I'm really just curious as to whether others feel like that one little thing a day is okay when you are generally doing everything else as right as you can.

I had gotten myself to having a super small amount of honey in my cold coffee with my homemade almond milk, but in my cappuccino, I MUST have real dairy and a little sugar. ;-p

• Like 2

FWIW, I wanted to also add that my reasons for trying to eat the way I do are because of family history of a lot of different health issues. My mom was diabetic with high cholesterol, high BP and heart disease. My dad died of congestive heart failure. My brother has congestive heart failure as well as the high cholesterol and blockages my mom had.

I know diet can't cure everything, and I want to enjoy my life, but I also want to be realistic in controlling what I can. I do not have a weight problem and certainly don't have issues with eating things I shouldn't here and there (Mexican food ADDICT over here), but I just don't know if "allowing" something in my diet daily is something I should try to avoid.

• Like 1

I honestly think that one little thing a day is ok. I understand where you're coming from as I've had similar issues with trying to cut out carbonated beverages. I can't really have a 12-pack around and drink one can a day -- it turns into 2, 3, then back to a 12 a day pretty quickly. But you seem to be having one a day just fine, and I really wouldn't beat yourself up over it. 

I consume very little sugar. I use a bit of organic brown sugar in my oats every morning. If I want to sweeten something, I use Stevia. I don't do treat myself sometimes with maybe some dark chocolate or Justin's peanut butter cups. I haven't done that in quite some time though. I used to be obese and have lost 170 pounds. Sugar was my addiction and what kept me obese my entire life. If I start consuming it again, it is too easy to go back there. With that being said, I now eat a whole foods based, low fat, high carb vegan diet now. I feel best when I don't include sugar in my diet other than the very little bit (maybe a teaspoon) of brown sugar in my oats.

My paternal aunts who have geriatric diabetes stop sugar and they do not like artificial sweeteners. They watch their diet even though they have a sweet tooth so my extended family don't bring treats when visiting my diabetic aunts.

My dad stop sugar at home because he is worried about geriatric diabetes but he is not counting sugar content when eating out even though he would still order coffee black. Now he is not use to sweet stuff anymore.

I tend to be one that can't do something like that daily without it loosening me up to crave more sugar, but that doesn't mean it will be a problem for you. I used to drink my coffee black or heavily sweetened/creamed for a special treat once in a while. I finally learned to like my coffee with just cream, and now I prefer it that way.

I think you are fine to continue as you are, and if you feel it's contributing to a problem, you can worry about it then. Just be honest with yourself if it does happen.

Every body is different, and every person's habit forming is different. 

• Like 1

I certainly wouldn't beat yourself up over it. That said giving up sugar in coffee was really easy for me and I'm a major sweet tooth. It took about a week to adjust and now I don't like sweetened coffee at all. I do have loads of other sugar craving weaknesses though.

I too understand the creeping thing. For me it seems to be all or nothing I'm either extremely healthy or ... Not. If I have even a little sugar I find myself craving stuff. I think sugar is added to so many foods that you almost have to be a bit extreme just to keep your levels down.

• Like 1