Menu

need outsourcing ideas for writing

free is affordable... :lol:

I want good value.  I know that is vague.  I'm open to various price ranges, but I have to feel like it is worth the money.

I don't really know how to gauge level.  I really am just tired of dealing with writing, and I think my life would be easier if my kid could take an outside something or other for this.  There is the CC, but I think that's probably too fast paced for him at this time with all he has going on. 

I haven't looked at the book choices for Oak Meadow English 9, but we started on 8 at the end of last year and my (writing phobic) son really--REALLY--likes it. OM isn't exactly in the low cost category, but I think I've seen you've used their program for another subject?

• Like 1

I haven't looked at the book choices for Oak Meadow English 9, but we started on 8 at the end of last year and my (writing phobic) son really--REALLY--likes it. OM isn't exactly in the low cost category, but I think I've seen you've used their program for another subject?

We are using Oak Meadow 9 now.  First assignment was a narrative about how someone helped me with something important in my life.  I had to modify it to work because really there wasn't anything to say about that.  That's what I'm having trouble with.  A lot of these assignments are so dumb.  Which is why I like IEW, but he complains about that one too.  He complains about all of it so I would like some outside thing where I can say, well that's the assignment...I can suggest stuff, help you out, but that's the assignment.  KWIM?

I'm hoping the next writing is better and more based on the reading instead.

If you want him writing about literature, then I suggest Lightning Literature. I know some people say it's too light, but it does have the student writing about their reading. It sounds like you have pretty much covered all the writing skills your son needs, and now it's just about application. If you keep rehashing the same instruction, he's bound to get bored (sounds like he already is).

You can also have him write across the curriculum. Assign him one paper each semester in each of literature, history, and science (and any electives he may be taking, like philosophy or psychology).

Or have him take a technical writing class for a different approach to writing.

We are using Oak Meadow 9 now. First assignment was a narrative about how someone helped me with something important in my life. I had to modify it to work because really there wasn't anything to say about that. That's what I'm having trouble with. A lot of these assignments are so dumb. Which is why I like IEW, but he complains about that one too. He complains about all of it so I would like some outside thing where I can say, well that's the assignment...I can suggest stuff, help you out, but that's the assignment. KWIM?

I'm hoping the next writing is better and more based on the reading instead.

Yeah, I get that. Maybe 8 is different, it seems very much based on the reading, but then there's other stuff too. It's the most "in the box" program we've used, and what you need is exactly why I like it. "Well dude, you have to do this way because that's the assignment. I'm not the boss of that". I totally get to blame it on the book. :)

I really, really need that this year since he'll be off to the HS next year. It'll be a year long preparatory lesson in how NOT to be flexible. Lol.

Gah, I hate assignments like the one you described. They never apply to him and seem really arbitrary.

Good luck. Finding the right program can feel so unattainable. :(

Edited by MEmama

If you want him writing about literature, then I suggest Lightning Literature. I know some people say it's too light, but it does have the student writing about their reading. It sounds like you have pretty much covered all the writing skills your son needs, and now it's just about application. If you keep rehashing the same instruction, he's bound to get bored (sounds like he already is).

You can also have him write across the curriculum. Assign him one paper each semester in each of literature, history, and science (and any electives he may be taking, like philosophy or psychology).

Or have him take a technical writing class for a different approach to writing.

I looked at that, but you know I think the reading selections are actually quite heavy.  He has a pretty intense load heavy on the science/math so I don't want to have other stuff that is way too much. 

I like the idea of the technical writing.  I think he would really like that.

Following.  I really need something for writing for my kid too.  And I'd pay possibly an unreasonable amount to outsource it at this point in time because we didn't do nearly enough last year.  We've tried pieces of a bunch of curriculum, but so much of it does seem dumb and arbitrary.   He'll probably do DE/PSEO next year so I really want to make sure fundamentals of writing are solid. 

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

First assignment was a narrative about how someone helped me with something important in my life.  I had to modify it to work because really there wasn't anything to say about that.  

My dd wasn't thrilled with that one, either, and tried to get out of it. I just told her, "When you go to college, you will have to complete the assignments you are given whether you like them or not. Start practicing now." :sneaky2:

• Like 2

My dd wasn't thrilled with that one, either, and tried to get out of it. I just told her, "When you go to college, you will have to complete the assignments you are given whether you like them or not. Start practicing now." :sneaky2:

I do make him do that too.  Another thing I tell him is it's ok to make stuff up.  I wish someone would have told me that!

I just don't understand these assignments. 

I like Home2teach at the paragraph level class.  The writing assignments in this class are submitted daily prior to 1:00 pm .  My DD would sometimes submit before 9:30, get it back and submit again. She did IEW prior to this.  DD placed into paragraph class, but I have other kids in some of the other classes.   Classes prior to paragraph are good for the younger crowd but feedback is limited to "good job" or please correct this one item.  I am not sure if that would be what you are looking for . 

The daily revisions with feedback made all of the difference.  It is $85 for a six week course with a writing sample required.  Next class starts soon. hth

• Like 1

I just don't understand these assignments. 

Well, that particular assignment is directly related to the book the students are reading. Matt (the main character) has several mentors, who may or may not be positive role models for him, and to me, the assignment was meant to get students thinking about how they are influenced by the people around them, not for them to just give a cute and pat report about someone who helped them. How Matt is influenced and how that influence helps him develop his identity is a central theme in the book.

• Like 3

Well, that particular assignment is directly related to the book the students are reading. Matt (the main character) has several mentors, who may or may not be positive role models for him, and to me, the assignment was meant to get students thinking about how they are influenced by the people around them, not for them to just give a cute and pat report about someone who helped them. How Matt is influenced and how that influence helps him develop his identity is a central theme in the book.

Then again I don't think it's outrageous that a 14 year old wouldn't have anything to say about that.

Is this referring to the scorpion book?

Then again I don't think it's outrageous that a 14 year old wouldn't have anything to say about that.

Is this referring to the scorpion book?

Yes. My dd had trouble thinking of what to write, so I just talked to her about people she's known in her life that she enjoyed spending time with, took a class from, or learned something from. She ended up selecting two sports coaches and a children's librarian.

• Like 1

Shannon absolutely loves BW classes.  I didn't think they were affordable, but once I saw how much she thrives from the peer interaction and the great feedback from the teachers, I realize that they are worth every penny.

Of course, that assumes that the pennies are there to be spent in that direction.  A couple of years ago, I never would have been able to swing it financially, so I get it if they are out of reach.  But I'm feeling very lucky to be able to afford them at this point, because they've been well worth it.

• Like 1

Yes. My dd had trouble thinking of what to write, so I just talked to her about people she's known in her life that she enjoyed spending time with, took a class from, or learned something from. She ended up selecting two sports coaches and a children's librarian.

Yeah it's kinda like those assignments "what did you do on your summer vacation" and whatever it is you did was so dull it wasn't worth writing about.  I would know now how to deal with such an assignment, but not as a kid.  It was only painful!  I told him I didn't care if he wrote about the guy who taught him how to find unicorns.  LOL 

I liked that book.  But the ending felt abrupt to me.  There was so much going on and it was like someone just pulled the plug and it was over. 

• Like 1

Yeah it's kinda like those assignments "what did you do on your summer vacation" and whatever it is you did was so dull it wasn't worth writing about.  I would know now how to deal with such an assignment, but not as a kid.  It was only painful!  I told him I didn't care if he wrote about the guy who taught him how to find unicorns.  LOL 

I don't know. I guess I see it more as a way to get the kids connected to a theme of the book. I don't see it as busywork like a summer vacation paper would be. Perhaps I was at an advantage because I had already read the book when dd got to that assignment, so I knew where they were going with it. If you'd only read as far as they'd gotten in the story by then, I can see how it would have a random feel to it. I talked to dd about how Matt's identify formation is a key theme in the book, so she had a little more context.

I liked that book.  But the ending felt abrupt to me.  There was so much going on and it was like someone just pulled the plug and it was over.

I really liked it, too. There is a sequel called The Lord of Opium. It's on hold for me at the library. 

My dd doesn't like the book because she claims she doesn't like anything dystopian. However, when I look at what she likes to watch on tv, I think she's fooling herself. ;)

Aside from not liking this book, she's enjoying the course. She loves the main lesson book.

Edited by Haiku
  • Like 1

I don't know. I guess I see it more as a way to get the kids connected to a theme of the book. I don't see it as busywork like a summer vacation paper would be. Perhaps I was at an advantage because I had already read the book when dd got to that assignment, so I knew where they were going with it. If you'd only read as far as they'd gotten in the story by then, I can see how it would have a random feel to it. I talked to dd about how Matt's identify formation is a key theme in the book, so she had a little more context.

I really liked it, too. There is a sequel called The Lord of Opium. It's on hold for me at the library. 

My dd doesn't like the book because she claims she doesn't like anything dystopian. However, when I look at what she likes to watch on tv, I think she's fooling herself. ;)

Aside from not liking this book, she's enjoying the course. She loves the main lesson book.

I read it before he started the program.  That didn't stand out to me as much as other aspects.  I can see that as a theme too, but for some reason, it didn't jump out at me so much.  I was more struck by the idea of cloning for that purpose and how that was taken to the extreme. 

I love dystopian books. 

Not busy work, but just not everyone by age 14 has encountered a lot of influential people.  I have probably been his most influential person and I can totally see why he might not want to write about that for me to read.  Too many people have come and gone quickly in his life and there just has not (yet) been anyone he has gotten to know well enough to have those thoughts about.  I would have had a tough time with that assignment myself at 14.  We are both major introverts too so I suspect it's just harder for us to feel that sense of connection to people so easily. 

I was more struck by the idea of cloning for that purpose and how that was taken to the extreme. 

That was what made the identify formation theme some prominent for me. How do you form an identity when you do not consider yourself human/a person?

I'm generally not a fan of dystopian stuff. For example, I have absolutely zero interest in The Hunger Games. My son has now listened to three dystopian series in a row (Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Divergent). He's really into it.

• Like 1

My daughter ended up using her pets for the assignment.  I told her she could write about anything/anyone she wanted as long as she provided support for why she used them.  She chose parents and pets, and I thought she did a nice job.  

Edited by ebh87
  • Like 1

I used Write at Home last year for the first time. I have always avoided it because it seemed too light and the price too high for what was taught. I wish I'd used it sooner. It was a perfect fit for dd who needed to spend more time on each assignment, revising and perfecting each, rather than just rushing through and producing mediocre work which was what she typically did in writing. 

WAH does two revisions of each assignment with lots of feedback on each draft. For us it was a good value.

• Like 3

That was what made the identify formation theme some prominent for me. How do you form an identity when you do not consider yourself human/a person?

I'm generally not a fan of dystopian stuff. For example, I have absolutely zero interest in The Hunger Games. My son has now listened to three dystopian series in a row (Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Divergent). He's really into it.

I liked The Hunger Games.  A bit of brain candy, but yes I enjoyed those.

In high school I took a course that was all about dystopia, science fiction, fantasy, etc.  I loved that course. 

• Like 1