Menu

Woot Woot! Roommates

Isn't it great? DS's school is heavily Greek and most upperclassmen are in a frat or sorority and live in Greek housing. DS is not Greek (his roommate is) so he did not have a moving group and went through the housing lottery on his own. He selected a four bedroom apt(3 singles, 1 double) with his very nice lottery number and got that apartment. I was worried that he would be in a 5 person apt all by himself.

I think this will be good for him. He has his single but will have people around on a daily basis. 

He needs a few things that he didn't need as a freshman - pots, pans, other kitchen items. So I'm going to be hitting up garage sales the next few weekends.

• Like 3

Isn't it great? DS's school is heavily Greek and most upperclassmen are in a frat or sorority and live in Greek housing. DS is not Greek (his roommate is) so he did not have a moving group and went through the housing lottery on his own. He selected a four bedroom apt(3 singles, 1 double) with his very nice lottery number and got that apartment. I was worried that he would be in a 5 person apt all by himself.

I think this will be good for him. He has his single but will have people around on a daily basis.

He needs a few things that he didn't need as a freshman - pots, pans, other kitchen items. So I'm going to be hitting up garage sales the next few weekends.

I always see amazingly good pots and pans at Goodwill. I have bought some before, on the idea that they will be DDs when she moves into a place with a kitchen.

I theorize that the pots and pans often wind up there when Grandma is moved out of her home or the estate is liquidated.

• Like 3

Around here, Goodwill and other thrift shops have plenty of quality china sets and occasionally stoneware and corningware for reasonable prices. Ds ended up with a nonflowery Mikasa stoneware set for 8 for less than a 12 piece set of low quality casual ware from a discount store. Had he not crossed out flowers, he would have done better. His group likes to cook, and often does dinner together on a weekend.

Lamps are also priced well, if they need one for a common area.

• 1 month later...

I'm laughing at how energetic I was when I found out DS had roommates; I was ready to fill his apartment then with homey touches. We leave on Saturday and have yet to do any shopping for kitchen or living room essentials. :) Thank goodness there's a Walmart in his college town.

DS has been in touch with a couple of his roommates. It appears that three of them are transfer students and one is also a non-greek sophomore who didn't have a moving group. The biggest concern thus far? There's only one microwave. Really guys?

I'm happy they seem to have developed at least a tentative cyber rapport. I hope friendships blossom within this group. (I know that doesn't sound as masculine as the guys would like but, hey, I'm a mom.)

• Like 5

I am so far thrilled at the idea of P's roommate. He is a comp sci major and foreign language minor who was in the top 10% of his graduating class from a decent high school here in Michigan so I think he and my studious boy are going to be well matched in that regard. They are both gamers, and since they care very much about grades, decided together to leave some of their game systems at home, only bring their laptops and made a rule that when one or the other is studying, no asking the other to join in, and that homework comes first...gaming only after assignments and studying are done. They came to that conclusion together which makes me happy. His roommate is bringing the microwave, and we have the fridge. Ds has a printer which is necessary because their dorm is heck and gone from the nearest print station which could be pretty inconvenient. His roommates' parents offered to pay for paper and ink in exchange for the use of the printer. That's a good set up for us.

Decorating? Ha! Ds has a set of pokemon cards and two Mech Warrior figurines for his desk. Roommate indicated something similar. That's it. Ds's towels don't match, nor anything else, and he simply doesn't care. Easy peasy.

They are also minimalists which should mean that they can share the space fairly equitably and not be overcrowded.

When i visit eldest ds's apartment near campus and see the wall to wall bookcases, the electric piano, the five guitars, the harpsichord (oh yes, he moved my harpsicord there so he'd have it to practice on so he can take lessons), and his writing desk, I know that IF he had a roommate, said person would likely have gone ballistic by now. If ever there was a NOT minimalist person, it is that boy. 

• Like 1