Menu

TT and the SAT

Okay, I can make my SAT and Teaching Textbooks report now. Ds, who did Jacobs Algebra followed by Teaching Textbooks Geom, Alg 2 (brief foray with Forester until it didn't work for us at that time), Pre-calc, and a bit of Kahn practice, got a 680 on the math SAT in June. I know that for many of you, that is not high enough, but for those who are worried about TT not being "enough" that should be an encouragement. It was also his very first attempt in a new venue.Even more encouraging was his bf, who did AOPS for Alg 1 followed by TT for geom, Alg 2 and pre-calc. He also used Kahn (more prep than ds) and he got a 790. So, I'm not trying to start a huge discussions of the merits of TT. There are plenty threads like that already. I just wanted to put the scores out there for those, like me, who needed to use TT and were concerned a bit about whether it would "get the job done". It does.

• Like 10

I agree. I would add that, if possible, they should get through the first third of precalc before taking the PSAT. My dd did well on the PSAT but was flummoxed by some of the math only to encounter it in TT precalc within a month or two of taking the PSAT. That made SAT prep much easier. She went on to score well on the SAT as well.

• Like 2

TT is not a bad curriculum. It's a bit behind other programs, but it does a good job along the way. Stick with it through the end, and you'll do fine. I'll take it over Saxon any day, and we all know Saxon can produce high scores, too.

The AoPS to TT switch is worth noting: THIS TYPE OF REPETITION IS A GOOD THING! AoPS intro covers much of TT algebra 2, but doesn't have enough practice for most students. TT has plenty of practice at appropriate depth (just a bit delayed). Starting hard and coming back from another perspective develops VERY strong students.

• Like 2