Menu

Biblical Greek or Hebrew

Has anyone studied either of these languages and used it for high school language credit?  Any recommendations?  DD is interested in studying one or both but probably not going to seminary.  I tried to do a search but didn't come up with anything.  Thank you! 

I'm using Basics of Biblical Greek as an adult. I got the whole $120 kit with the DVD lectures and I use a pre-made Anki deck with the 1,000 most common words that appear in Scripture. I have other resources I will link when I'm not on my phone if you're interested. The author also has a Basics of Biblical Hebrew text but there aren't as many supplemental items available.

• Like 2

I have the Teaching Company's new Greek 101.  It is Ancient Greek but it also covers Koine so you do translate a bit of the New Testament too.  Everything I've heard says to study Ancient Greek first and then transition to Koine.  It is $99 for the video download and you might be able to catch a sale to get it cheaper, perhaps. http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/greek-101-learning-an-ancient-language.html

I bought it and got about 3 lessons in before my chaotic life took over.  But I vow that next summer I will be able to really start it.

I don't know about Hebrew, but I found this on line: https://billmounce.com/hebrew

And I remember seeing an older version of this one that a friend had: http://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/foreign-language/other-languages-and-supplements/biblical-hebrew-a-homeschool-primer

• Like 1

I'm using Basics of Biblical Greek as an adult. I got the whole $120 kit with the DVD lectures and I use a pre-made Anki deck with the 1,000 most common words that appear in Scripture. I have other resources I will link when I'm not on my phone if you're interested. The author also has a Basics of Biblical Hebrew text but there aren't as many supplemental items available.

Yes, please, send links.! I don't know enough to know what would be good resources.  And if we do this I want it to be credit worthy but also useful for Bible study. 

I didn't study it in high school, but my first college class was ancient Greek.  I had to make the same decision myself and decided on ancient Greek to study the Bible rather than Hebrew and would choose Greek over Hebrew again if I were to study one again.  First, I think it's easier, but neither is easy.  Second, I think there are more issues of importance in the New Testament vs. the Old Testament for Christians.  Third, there's a lot more you can learn about English from Greek rather than Hebrew for most folks, and IMO some other interesting writings in Greek, like the "early Church Fathers" and Greek philosophers. 

I wouldn't recommend the text I used, but there are two-three great resources to go along with learning Biblical Greek.  If your DC studies Biblical Greek/classical Greek, the American Bible Society and International Bible Societies put out relatively inexpensive and high-quality Greek New Testaments, such as this one and FYI the vinyl-covered ones are inexpensive and durable; they also put out a New Testament-specific dictionary.  I also recommend the book The Text of the New Testament as an English read along; IMO you can go with an earlier edition -- a few details may be updated but your DC will get the general background.

• Like 1

I chose Basics of Biblical Greek because I only cared to be able to read scripture and it seemed like the fasted way to do so. I regret not using CAP’s Greek Alphabet Code Cracker first as I didn’t realize what a hang up the alphabet would be for me in the beginning. I hear it can be completed in a month. I use the free ANKI deck which is quite well done, as well as a Greek New Testament that I try to read from every day. Other supplemental materials I haven’t tried include a reader, audiobook, and audio vocabulary review. Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics is supposedly an excellent follow up to BBG, but I have yet to hold it in my hands so I have no opinion. Mounce’s site is difficult to navigate at first but is a plethora of free resources.

Things unrelated to BBG:

Reading Koine (workbook, looks fantastic!)

The Potter’s School (Greek & Hebrew)

Greek 101 from TGC (more than just Koine)

Athenaze (more than just Koine, popular on the hive)

A Reading Course in Homeric Greek (not Koine, but deserves an honorable mention)

Free resources 1 & 2

I’m recommending:

CAP’s Greek Alphabet Code Cracker

Basics of Biblical Greek

ANKI deck

• Like 3

We initially focused on Latin. When we introduced Koine Greek in middle school, Latin got pushed aside. My dd completed Elementary Greek 1-2. I feel like we started a little late. My dd definitely had an affinity for Greek and I wish I had started earlier. Once you reach high school, time is premium. I have Greek 3 but now dd has more pressing obligations.

Following... My fil, who was an E-Free church minister and Navy Chaplain, studied both in college and knew Hebrew the best. It was his passion for both languages that inspired me to want to learn them. He told me to start with Greek and then work on Hebrew, which is a bit more difficult. I have some of the texts he used to learn the languages but they are a bit more difficult than maybe some of what we have access to thru the web.

• Like 1

I have studied Koine Greek a few times, once with a class using Basics of Biblical Greek (Mounce) and then taking my two youngest through Elementary Greek 1 & 2. I would say that if your daughter has studied inflected languages before, she could go right into Mounce. It is a seminary-level course, but there are many resources online, as outlined in a previous post. If language study is new for her, I would go ahead and start with Elementary Greek. She can go through level 1 at a quicker pace if she chooses. It is a good course. I never did get to level 3. I awarded one h.s. credit for levels 1 & 2.

ETA: We did not find the alphabet a challenge at all. We did have some fun practicing it by spelling English words with Greek letters.

Edited by cam1706
  • Like 2

I have studied Koine Greek a few times, once with a class using Basics of Biblical Greek (Mounce) and then taking my two youngest through Elementary Greek 1 & 2. I would say that if your daughter has studied inflected languages before, she could go right into Mounce. It is a seminary-level course, but there are many resources online, as outlined in a previous post. If language study is new for her, I would go ahead and start with Elementary Greek. She can go through level 1 at a quicker pace if she chooses. It is a good course. I never did get to level 3. I awarded one h.s. credit for levels 1 & 2.

ETA: We did not find the alphabet a challenge at all. We did have some fun practicing it by spelling English words with Greek letters.

That is helpful to know what credit you gave for what work.  No language study except a bit of Elementrary Greek, part of year 1, in elementary school.  She got tired(?), bored (?) working through the book on her own and I didn't push it.  But now that she is older I will have to pull it out again to see if she is interested in it or maybe I need to go another route.

The consensus seems to be Greek first.  DD likes that idea too.  Another question - do colleges care if student doesn't speak the language?  I assumed that colleges want some speaking of a foreign language as part of language high school credit.  Sort of like science needs to have some labs.  Studying something like Greek, Latin may not be spoken.  Hebrew could be it depends...