Menu

Help me choose...

For more $$, a glass whiteboard is prettier. The downside to whiteboards is that the marker is difficult or impossible to get out of fabric. There are washable ones but they do not erase off the board very well. 

Windows actually work as a "whiteboard" too. Sometimes I'll let my kids work their math problems on the window and they think that's pretty cool.

We have both whiteboards and chalkboards. Chalkboards work better for things you plan to leave up long term. Don't get them if you plan to erase frequently.

We have a huge magnetic whiteboard and it's awesome. No mess and erases beautifully. Plus, anything that's light enough to have a magnet glued/stuck to it can be a manipulative for any topic (for example, I used peel and stick magnet squares with two-color circular math counters so we could do ten frames and various other things). You can also buy sheets of magnet "paper" to print on with an inkjet and go crazy. We bought ours specifically for the AAR magnets, but we'll be using it for years to come. We mounted it to the wall with the Command adhesive Velcro picture hanging strips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love me a good chalkboard, one that is glazed steel, so that magnets will work on it. There is dustless chalk. Guess I'm just old. :D

I'm with you. I think better in chalk. My DH created a very nice, very large chalkboard for me that is covered with lessons and practice problems every single day.

Now, I do also have a large whiteboard, because one of my sons hates chalk and chalkboards. He's bothered by the dust and the sound.

But the rest of us are chalk people.

• Like 1

Whiteboard.  I'm allergic to dust.  Although it's probably not the same as regular dust, I know it would really get to me as well.

My plan is to use a shower board, which is much less expensive than a whiteboard.  While it's not super-attractive, we already have wood paneling in our schoolroom, so I don't  think anything will look especially beautiful.   :lol:  Our current whiteboard has a strip of cork around the edges, so I wanted to add a boarder (like you'd see in a classroom's bulletin board display), but I never got around to it.  I need a much larger board next year, so we are going with a shower board to save money.

Edited by Holly

Reversible 😀 Ours is chalk board on one side and whiteboard on the other. It isn't hung though. I slide out from behind sofa when needed, write on the side I like, and display it by leaning against a wall or cabinet for the time needed to view. If you must choose to permanently fix it to the wall, a chalkboard with Nice framing is prettier in a public space. A whiteboard is more practical. If you go with chalkboard, try the dustless chalk from Amazon and review it here so I can know whether the extra price is worth it.

Whiteboard.  And magnetic, only magnetic.  All sizes.  I'm crazy for the 17X20 size I get every year at Target during back to school.  I think they have them again for like $8.  Crazy, crazy useful, so buy several.  

This year I splurged and got a big one for my wall.  I'm setting up ds an office, so we'll see.  It's not as big as they go, but it's 3'X4', which is nice.  I dreamed of 6X8, but that wasn't reality.  It's magnetic, so it should be fun and useful lots of ways.