Menu

Nature is trying to kill me.

Kinsa

Yesterday:

Woke up to kill a scorpion by the back door.

Chased away a coyote in the mid-morning.

Hit a deer and totally wrecked my car in the afternoon.  (UPDATE:  The collision center has deemed the car a total loss.)

Desert wind caught my storm door and ripped off the pneumatic tube in the evening.

My new ice cream maker can't get here fast enough.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

The scorpion thing would make me lose my mind!

I'm really sorry about the car.  Dh's front bumper is still all messed up from a few weeks back, but we're lucky that's all it is.  Actually, we've been very lucky that we've only (:::knock on wood:::) had, combined, 3 minor deer accidents in 11 years.  Those rats with hooves are no joke!

Glad you werent hurt in the deer collision. They are all over the place here and people are finding humor...one neighbor ended up with the deer spread out between passenger seat and hood. Lots of people sharing info on how to splint ribs in case of coughing. Its so dry the critters are eating everything in the uncaged gardens and the field mice have headed indoors.i will probably watch Mosquito Coast during the weekend heat wave.

Oh my goodness!  You'll have to write a book someday. 

I'm really glad you weren't hurt when you hit the deer!

When we lived in Central America, we discovered we had a nest of scorpions under our kitchen counter.  I didn't mind the tiny babies, but when the big mamma came out of hiding one day, I was very freaked out!

IS there a body repair shop in Alpine?  Or will you have to travel further to get the car fixed?

This. I was wondering where the nearest car lot is and how you get there without a working car!

I bet triple AAA doesn't like servicing your area, eh?

Yikes!! Glad you are ok after the deer incident! Hope your car can get fixed too.

And sorry about the scorpion and coyote. I was going to suggest to become friends with nature, but I'm not sure scorpions and I could ever have a good relationship.

Hope prime delivers your ice cream maker quickly!

So sorry!  I used to live in Texas and scorpions scare the crap out of me!  

Sorry about the deer/car.  We just had to get another car because my husband's died at 304,000 miles.  I hate spending money on cars.

:grouphug:

oh no!  So dangerous to hit deer. I hope you weren't hurt. 

Ds and I actually saw a buck eating by the side of the road just a few km from my house yesterday. They always make me nervous because you never know which way they'll leap. 

IS there a body repair shop in Alpine? Or will you have to travel further to get the car fixed?

I've been on the phone all morning trying to figure things out...

The car was towed to Marathon last night and put into storage so we could have some time to figure out what to do.

After talking with the insurance company today, the car is going to be towed from Marathon to an in-network collision center in Odessa. Odessa is about a 3.5 hour drive from us.

So now we just sit and wait for the estimate to happen.

Forgot to mention...

We were traveling about 75mph when we hit the deer. Somehow it didn't die right away. The local game warden came and shot the deer as we waited for the tow truck.

SOOO lucky to have had cell service in that spot.

That totally stinks about the car!  But let me tell you how to turn that frown upside down.  :)

You get to go to Odessa.  And when you go to Odessa, eat at Taco Villa.  Everything is better after Taco Villa.  :)

Bean burrito with red sauce and extra cheese.  Apple burrito.  Large coke.  Back in the day, they had GREAT ice.  :)

Best food ever from my youth!  DH says it wasn't as good as I made it out to be.  He's nuts.  Best.Food.Ever.  You know that spacey, far-off, contented look that a cat gets when being pet and purring?  Yep, that's me on Taco Villa.   :lol:

I have even conveyed large bags of Taco Villa back to hungry, homesick college students at A&M via Southwest Airlines/Austin (smelled awesome on the plane--lol).  In elementary school, I remember Taco Villa changed the recipes because supposedly the original recipes got caught up in litigation when the owner died?/sold?/something.  It was a happy, happy, day when the recipes came back!   :drool:

I am so very rarely in west Texas anymore, but when I go there (or anywhere with a Taco Villa), I eat it for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner.  In fact, I was pregnant with my third child passing through Amarillo in a Taco Villa when I heard on the radio that Michael Jackson died.  Where were you when Michael Jackson died?  Taco Villa.  :)

So while you chase away scorpions and coyotes, batten down the hatches, and wait on insurance, just think ahead to Taco Villa!  :)

hugs.

dh missed the deer who jumped in front of us when we were coming back from canada - though he zigged, so did the deer, so he had to zag as well.  kept my heart rate up for awhile.  he said it was all his years of playing flag-football.  (I had a doe in my yard last week.)

he also saw a coyote this morning.  (I'm hoping it will make lunch out of the mutt across the street.  I loath that dog. obnoxious thing.  it wouldn't be so bad if they owners were responsible.  but small dogs "don't need obedience training".)

and we're in the city - so it's not becasue you live in a national park.  nature will follow you.

When we lived in Abilene, Texas, I vacuumed up the smaller scorpions and left the vacuum in the garage until my husband could empty it. I told all the wives on my block, they loved the idea and spread the word. We also had agreements to watch each other's children who were staying at home if any scorpions or snakes or other critters invaded while they were home alone.

During my daughter's home alone class, she said the only thing she learned that she did not know was that if a rattlesnake was in your house or yard, you could call 911 and they would not be mad at you, they would just call the proper authorities for you.

Did you at least get to keep the deer?

The game warden asked if I wanted it. I said no. She drove into town to try to find someone who would want it. I don't care for venison.

Dang.

I feel so bad for you that I googled and found some shelf stable half and half options for you:

https://www.organicvalley.coop/products/half-half/half-half/half-half-ultra-pasteurized-quart/

We've also used this brand of whipping cream:

http://www.gossner.com/uht-milk/

Also, Gossner brand whole milk comes in 1 quart containers at DOLLAR TREE!!!!!! https://www.dollartree.com/Gossner-Foods-Premium-Whole-Milk-1-Quart/p305011/index.pro

You'll get used to the scorpions, just be careful of what you pick up off the floor, because there might be one under it. They can also climb bedclothes, so no dust ruffles.

I am sorry that deer wrecked your car, and glad you are okay.

It's also fun to name the tarantulas.

The game warden asked if I wanted it. I said no. She drove into town to try to find someone who would want it. I don't care for venison.

Honey, this is standard procedure. Most people around here would have taken it and processed it into their enormous chest freezers. ;)

It's all in how you look at it. Maybe God was providing food...

I know it's scary, especially at that speed, to hit something. Seems like you are being initiated into RAL (remote area living) in one single day. Very glad nobody got hurt.

The scorpions would scare me more...

oh no!  So dangerous to hit deer. I hope you weren't hurt. 

Ds and I actually saw a buck eating by the side of the road just a few km from my house yesterday. They always make me nervous because you never know which way they'll leap. 

And there is rarely just one.

Forgot to mention...

We were traveling about 75mph when we hit the deer. Somehow it didn't die right away. The local game warden came and shot the deer as we waited for the tow truck.

SOOO lucky to have had cell service in that spot.

Yikes.  Time to start carrying. 

UPDATE:  The collision center says the car is a total loss.  Ugh.

Will your insurance replace the car, or just give you a lower than reality check for it?  Hoping for the former, but usually it's the latter.  It can be really frustrating when that happens as replacements at their values can be tough to find.

So... wishing you best of luck with car shopping now as well as hoping you get a decent check to shop with.   :grouphug:

Will your insurance replace the car, or just give you a lower than reality check for it?  Hoping for the former, but usually it's the latter.  It can be really frustrating when that happens as replacements at their values can be tough to find.

So... wishing you best of luck with car shopping now as well as hoping you get a decent check to shop with.   :grouphug:

I"m not totally sure, but I think we get the current value of the car.  It's a 2015 Ford Fiesta, so while it's a new-ish car, it's not an expensive car.  I'm thinking we'll get somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000.

The bigger issue is... WHERE do I buy a new car out here in Boonie-land?  (LOL)

The more amazing thing to me is that the car is totaled, and yet the three of us who were in the car walked away without so much as a scratch on ourselves.  My son who was driving got a rug-burn type of injury on his right knee from when the lower air bag deployed, but otherwise we're all fine.

I"m not totally sure, but I think we get the current value of the car.  It's a 2015 Ford Fiesta, so while it's a new-ish car, it's not an expensive car.  I'm thinking we'll get somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000.

The bigger issue is... WHERE do I buy a new car out here in Boonie-land?  (LOL)

Amazon Prime?   :lol:

The more amazing thing to me is that the car is totaled, and yet the three of us who were in the car walked away without so much as a scratch on ourselves.  My son who was driving got a rug-burn type of injury on his right knee from when the lower air bag deployed, but otherwise we're all fine.

And this is the important thing.

New(er) cars are designed to take the hit in crashes so the occupants don't.  Old cars were "built to last" and hardly saw scratches in accidents, but their occupants were often severely injured or died because the car didn't crumple up slowing down the sudden stop (what actually kills) - then air bags, etc.

Each year in our 9th grade science classes we show a video highlighting crash tests and things that make a difference in the survival of the occupants.  Having watched that video numerous times, I'm never buying a car without a decent crash test rating.  This includes many old "classics."  It's way too risky.  I'm happy to have a car that will give its life trying to save its occupants.

I'm glad your car did that for you.

Exactly. A coworker had her car labeled "totaled" by insurance yet a mechanic and body shop fixed it completely for less than a new (used) one would have cost. This may turn into the most frustrating part of your collision with nature.

And this is the important thing.

New(er) cars are designed to take the hit in crashes so the occupants don't. Old cars were "built to last" and hardly saw scratches in accidents, but their occupants were often severely injured or died because the car didn't crumple up slowing down the sudden stop (what actually kills) - then air bags, etc.

Each year in our 9th grade science classes we show a video highlighting crash tests and things that make a difference in the survival of the occupants. Having watched that video numerous times, I'm never buying a car without a decent crash test rating. This includes many old "classics." It's way too risky. I'm happy to have a car that will give its life trying to save its occupants.

I'm glad your car did that for you.

Exactly! Since our toyota sienna performed admirably in our car accident - the only reason we survived - I am loyal to the brand and model so long as those safety ratings remain high. She crumpled like a trooper - before dh saw either C or me he saw the van and began crying because from the look of it he felt no one could have survived - but we came through. The driver of the other van did eventually die of her injuries. Her van did not look too bad despite hitting us at about 65 miles per hour, but it didn't crumple properly to absorb the impact. We found out from her neighbor that she had surgery, after sugery, after surgery to correct issues, and about four weeks after the accident passed away following a two week coma.

I cannot say enough that of all the things in life you spend good money on, it is important that you splurge for a vehicle with a high safety rating.

OP, I am so glad you were not injured. The scorpion? I would be murdering that bugger with wild, crazy abandon!

So apparently the cost of repairs is around $9000, and the current value of the car is $12,000.  Since the cost of repair exceeds a certain percentage of the value of the car, the insurance company considers it a loss.

Never a dull moment!  So sorry for all the craziness going on, Karen, but so glad no one was hurt!  I'm pretty sure I'm not made of sturdy enough stock to live where you do!

You'll get used to the scorpions, just be careful of what you pick up off the floor, because there might be one under it. They can also climb bedclothes, so no dust ruffles.

This made me shiver IRL.   :svengo:

No one told me before I moved to South Carolina that there might one day be a scorpion in my oven drawer!   :w00t:

Archived