Menu

Do you ever forget to eat?

SparklyUnicorn

Curious question for those of you who forget: do your days not have a regular structure?

I have a hard time imagining how I could forget to eat. I get up, have coffee, and know I need to eat breakfast before I leave the house; it is something that happens every day (except weekends). I have my lunch break and know I must rush home and cook lunch to feed the family; it happens every day. Stuff like this...

Our days, though busy, do not have the same schedule each day. A steady routine would definitely help with consistent meal times.

Haven't read many of the responses, but just wanted to say it's not like I forget to eat, I just don't want to eat.  I've been cooking army sized meals for a long time and I'm just tired.   

Speaking to the topic, one of the last times I forgot to eat, I was pregnant (eons ago) and at church and started getting shaky.  I actually left church so I could go to the convenience store across the street and get a Snickers.  After that I always tried to stay conscious of when I ate last so that wouldn't happen again.

Curious question for those of you who forget: do your days not have a regular structure?

I have a hard time imagining how I could forget to eat. I get up, have coffee, and know I need to eat breakfast before I leave the house; it is something that happens every day (except weekends). I have my lunch break and know I must rush home and cook lunch to feed the family; it happens every day. Stuff like this...

No, my days are very unstructured and I've never been able to stomach breakfast to get into a morning routine of eating. My DH's schedule flip flops around, so we don't even have a set evening meal time, and my kids feed themselves for breakfast & lunch, or more often brunch.

I come from a family of "huh, it's 3 p.m., maybe I should eat sometime today" types, so I come by it honestly. My DH and DD would never forget to eat, but my DS carries on the "family tradition".

The most routine I've ever had with food as an adult was when I was single and working full time. My Grandma would cook lunch for my Mom and I every day, so that was always my first meal of the day.

• Like 1

Now that I no longer get hungry, I often forget to eat when I'm by myself.  I remind hubby and whoever else is with me that they need to speak up when they want to eat.

It's kind of cute, because sometimes they will wait and wait - I guess expecting me to say something - but that only sometimes happens if I look at the time.  

I don't get cranky or sick from not eating either - another nice perk.

I do try to remember to eat breakfast at some point to always have something.  If I'm at school, I also eat lunch with teacher friends, so that's regular due to the schedule.

But now?  It's close to 7pm here and no one has said anything yet, so...  I suppose I should think about it for them - or let them fend for themselves.  We have cherries in the fridge.  I'll probably just munch on a few of those since they taste so good.

• Like 1

My days have a regular structure/routine, but my boys make their own food, and I read to them while they eat. I'm usually not hungry at traditional lunch time, so I often miss it when I get started on a project. I tend to eat when I'm hungry, and I'm not hungry in the middle of the day.

I'm always hungry and thinking about food.  When I'm done eating, I'm already thinking about the next thing I'm going to eat and how long it will be until I eat again.  This explains why I've struggled with my weight for my entire life.  

• Like 1

Never, ever, ever. If I do not eat every few hours, my body starts screaming at me that it is possible to STARVE TO DEATH and I had better EAT NOW or I will surely DIE :001_rolleyes: . (Thank you, evolution. I'm thinnish but nowhere near danger on that count. My body doesn't take chances.)

DS is the same way, although he often gets hangry without quite realizing the cause. We still joke about a time a couple of years ago when I asked him whether he'd like a snack. "NO, I'm HUNGRY," he snapped, completely oblivious about what I had asked. He was too hungry to hear the question.

DH can be "too busy" to eat lunch. I do not understand.

• Like 2

Do you not make meals to eat with your kids? 

I rarely make breakfast or lunch for the family.  The boys get up hours earlier than the girls, leaving everyone hungry on different schedules.  Wait, that didn't come out right, lol. No one is LEFT hungry!  They just need to fuel up at different times!

Most of our days don't involve leaving the house until late afternoon/evening.  We have a couple of things here and there that might start at 10 or 11, and those are the days that throw us for a loop.  During the school year, we're out by 7:30 once a week, and I'll remember to make sure all the kids have eaten and packed their lunches, but I usually forget to eat, and sometimes forget to pack my own lunch!  

I eat breakfast with my husband but then I often don't eat lunch.  It is both not remembering and not being hungry.  Sometimes I get hungry at around 3 and eat a little something.  I don't have a regular routine at all except in the morning where I make coffee, take care of the dog, and prepare breakfast and eat it.

The only true routine I have is the cat gets fed every morning - first thing.  He never forgets, so I never forget either.  Occasionally I might annoy him and "forget" how he has me trained though.  ;)

All the rest can vary based upon the day of the week and/or what we have going on.  Many mornings I'm out working in our garden and/or barn for a bit before breakfast and showering.  Today was one of those.  It's too hot to do outdoor things later in the day.  If I'm heading to school, then breakfast comes after showering.

Our family has always had a policy of fixing your own breakfast with only rare exceptions.  My boys have known how to get their own breakfast from a really young age.

Lunch and supper are eaten together with whoever is around, but not breakfast.  That's why the guys need to remind me that it's lunch or supper time if I get busy or distracted.

So often.

I eat vegan and try to limit my carbs. My kids are carb monsters.

They prepare their own breakfast and lunch and they feed Luna.

D leaves before I wake up (I was up at 5:30 this morning and he had already gone), and comes home at dinner time.

I don't always feel like cooking. We don't always have something I want. We are well stocked on bread, peanut butter, pasta, oatmeal, eggs, and other things I don't care for. We have fruit, half of which I will eat.

A lady can only eat so much toast.

Today I ate two of Luna's strawberries and had a cup of coffee. Coffee kills my appetite for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, not eating regularly is not good for my weight. I'm also going on two hours of sleep. Not ideal.

• Like 1

I have had constant nausea since pregnant with my youngest. I haven't had a hunger sensation in a very long time. I never forget to eat, because my stomach never lets me forget it's there, but I often don't eat breakfast or dinner by choice or necessity.

I seem to have two modes.  Starved like I'll pass out, or nothing.  Nothing very gradually without notice progresses into just generally feeling like crud and I realize oh I have not eaten.  Starved happens if I eat something too sugary/carby especially on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.  It's annoying.

• Like 1

I'm always hungry and thinking about food. When I'm done eating, I'm already thinking about the next thing I'm going to eat and how long it will be until I eat again. This explains why I've struggled with my weight for my entire life.

You are not alone. It has not mattered whether I have been a healthy weight or not. Whether thin or heavy I am always aware of food and when and what I will eat next. It stinks.

• Like 1