Menu

Do you ever forget to eat?

SparklyUnicorn

This happens to me quite often.  I'm sitting here right now thinking man do I feel like crud.  Well duh, it's now 3 and I have not eaten anything.  I forgot!

It can happen especially when one is so happy about one's new hairdo. Satisfaction just fills the tummy.... :lol:

I sometimes forget when things get busy but not often enough. :)

Yes! I have a friend who thinks that it is crazy and impossible and gives me a hard time about it. But, then I found that forgetting to eat was actually part of the description of my personality type, and I felt a little less crazy then. The description says it has something to do with disconnecting from your body.  :lol:

Yep, all the time. It's happened to me more frequently since the whole thyroid mess started a few years ago and is a regular occurence nowadays.

My usual pattern is to forget to eat or remember but not be able to think of anything I care enough to prepare or seek out, ignore the whole issue until I feel sick or am ready to pass out, then scarf far too much of whatever the closest, easiest foodstuff might be.

Which probably explains why I manage to maintain my (being kind to myself) ample physique despite rarely eating a recognizable meal.

• Like 3

I do, which is hilarious given how fluffy I am and how most of the time is a struggle against food. I plan to grab something and get sidetracked by a kid needing something or have to run, then I think I'm just hungry because hello, breathing, but no, I'm hungry because I never did grab those eggs.

Curious question for those of you who forget: do your days not have a regular structure?

I have a hard time imagining how I could forget to eat. I get up, have coffee, and know I need to eat breakfast before I leave the house; it is something that happens every day (except weekends). I have my lunch break and know I must rush home and cook lunch to feed the family; it happens every day. Stuff like this...

Edited by regentrude

Curious question for those of you who forget: do your days not have a regular structure?

I have a hard time imagining how I could forget to eat. I get up, have coffee, and know I need to eat breakfast before I leave the house. I have my lunch break and know I must rush home and cook lunch to feed the family. Stuff like this...

Many of my days have no structure for me.  For one thing, there are many days I don't have to be anywhere specific or I might not have to leave the house until 5 pm (for activities for the kids).  

I tend to wake up absolutely not feeling like eating.  I always have coffee.  I often don't eat until lunch time.  But if I then get busy or preoccupied with something, I might not eat then either.

Yes, especially if I don't eat breakfast.  It might be 2 or 3 in the afternoon before I eat.

If I eat breakfast, I'm hungry again in 3 hours, and I eat again.  

That happens to me and I'm baffled by that.  If I eat breakfast I'm hungry soon after.  If not, I might not eat until dinner.

I have a hard time imagining how I could forget to eat. I get up, have coffee, and know I need to eat breakfast before I leave the house; it is something that happens every day (except weekends). I have my lunch break and know I must rush home and cook lunch to feed the family; it happens every day. Stuff like this...

They don't but they probably should. If I ate lunch every day I'm sure it would become routine, but in order to set the routine I need to remember to do it. 

Of course this varies.  Right now, I have no routine at all.  During the school year there is more routine.  The more I have going on the more I have to carefully plan details.  Most still I don't have specific times for a lot of things I do regularly. 

Although, I still forget to eat even with planning/routine.  A lot of times I cook for other people, but don't for myself.  I often eat other foods or at that moment I'm not hungry.  For some reason the more work a meal is, often the less I'm hungry when I'm done making it.  I have gotten better about that over the years, but geesh holiday meals used to be the worst because by the time I sat down I could not eat a bite.  No clue why.  (And no this is not because I was picking at the meal while making it.) 

• Like 1

Yes! I have a friend who thinks that it is crazy and impossible and gives me a hard time about it. But, then I found that forgetting to eat was actually part of the description of my personality type, and I felt a little less crazy then. The description says it has something to do with disconnecting from your body. :lol:

Personality type, how so? Are you talking M-B? What personality type are you?

• Like 1

I often forget to eat.  I'm the only one in my family who is gluten-free, so I often can't eat what the kids are having for lunch (sandwiches, pizza, w/e).  I have begun to use this time for read-alouds or flash cards and then I eat afterward.  Except sometimes I forget that I haven't eaten because I watched everyone else eat.

I usually figure it out about 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

Edited by Junie

My schedule and responsibilities vary from day to day.

Mondays, I work my primary job from 11:00 - 8:00, which means I am out of the house from 10:15 until 8:45-ish (depending on traffic). Sometimes, I have to leave earlier to drop my son at work before driving downtown. If not, I often use the couple of hours between when I finish doing the regular morning stuff (walking the dog, cleaning the cat's litter box, feeding both animals, packing a "lunch" to take to work with me, showering, dressing, etc.) to knock a few things off my running to-do list. I might toss a load of laundry in the washer, log on and pay some bills, reply to a couple of e-mails, refill the bird feeders . . . I'm rarely interested in eating or even thinking about food when I first get up, and invariably, by the time I take care of whatever chores I'm doing, it's time to run out the door.

I do usually eat one meal on Mondays, often in the late afternoon. However, by the time I get home it's too late to eat again. So, while I might grab a snack (usually something quick and unhealthy), that's about it.

On Tuesdays, I work from 9:00 - 2:30. I have to leave the house earlier to compensate for rush hour traffic, and I frequently have to drop my son at work on my way. So, we are out the door by 7:30. I still have to take care of the basic pet and self-care before I leave. Because it is a shorter shift at work, I don't get a lunch break. Some days, like today, I realize I'm hungry and do prepare and eat something when I get home a little after 3:00. However, having eaten that late in the afternoon, I won't be interested in dinner at all. So, I sometimes opt not to eat when I get home, thinking I'll wait for dinner time  . . . only to find out that my husband had a late lunch, himself, or had a stressful day at work and doesn't want dinner.

For most of this summer, my son has been in rehearsals for a show four or five evenings a week. He carpools to rehearsals most of the time, but my contribution is to pick up both my son and his girlfriend when rehearsal ends at about 10:00 p.m. and drive both of them home. We usually get back to our house shortly after 11:00.

Today, though, my son needs me to collect him from work at 6:00 and drive him straight to rehearsal, meaning the only person home at "dinner time" is my husband, who will likely fend for himself while I'm on the road with our son because he won't want to wait until I get back home after 7:00 to eat.

Wednesdays are extremely variable. I have full-day availability for one of my other jobs, but my actual schedule changes every week. 

Thursdays, I don't leave the house for work until 1:45, although I often schedule online tutoring hours in the morning. This is another day on which it is common for me to have to drive my son to work, too. Sometimes I make the effort to prepare and eat lunch before I leave, but sometimes I get busy or forget until it's too late. I work until 8:00 and, as with Tuesdays, do not get a meal-length break.

Fridays and Saturdays are my "weekend," although since that doesn't fully synch up with either my husband's or my son's regular schedule, that doesn't necessarily equate to any meaningfully large chunks of free time.

On Sundays, I usually tutor online for an hour or two before leaving shortly after noon to head to work (1:00 - 5:00).

So, while there is a "regular structure" in that the pattern repeats from week to week, no two of my days in a row involve the same schedule or routine. And these days I just don't care enough about food to make it a priority.

I don't think I forget to eat. I'm just not hungry at the same times every day. My hunger is very tied to my activity level. If I've had a few sedentary days in a row I need less food. Also, now that I'm approaching my mid-forties my appetite has dropped a bit. I just don't need three full meals in my average day. I had chipotle for lunch. I'm done for the day. I might have cereal around 10 p.m. after my dance class, but that's not a given. I'll have tea for breakfast as usual and my next real meal will be lunch tomorrow. I DO tend to have my bigger meal at lunch. DH works from home so I can get away with it.

I don't think I forget to eat. I'm just not hungry at the same times every day. My hunger is very tied to my activity level. If I've had a few sedentary days in a row I need less food. Also, now that I'm approaching my mid-forties my appetite has dropped a bit. I just don't need three full meals in my average day.

^This is how I FEEL about eating.

However, my body responds best when I get up and get some protein in early in the day. Otherwise I can have coffee then I am not hungry til 8pm, when it's too late to eat unless I plan to stay up past midnight.

Edited by Seasider

I used to do this very often, when I was working FT. I often got dizzy and then would realize in was afternoon and I had not eaten a thing. when I did it, it was less likely to be substantial. I ate a lot of crappy carbs before I had a family to feed. Bagles: not just for breakfast anymore! ;)