Menu

Am I the only one not allowing their children in on all the Pokemon Go hype?

I hope it's not just me, but I have not allowed my children to install this game on their iPods. I understand this game has two sides, some positive and some negative. But, the negative, I don't want my children to be apart of.

I have stayed away from all parks because they are now "pokestops". We went one day and everyone had their heads stuck in their phones or iPods. This is something I try to keep to a minimum at home, but now we go to a public park and you can't stay away from it there either.

I want my children to be at a park for what it is: enjoying nature, realizing the beauty around them, socializing with each other and other children, going on nature walks, getting some physical activity, playing, running around, and just enjoying everything life has to offer rather than everyone around the playground with their heads stuck in an electronic device. 

Is it just me? 

• Like 6

My kids have shown zero interest. They are happy to play the new, electronic fad when they are at friends' homes, but they have no desire to spend their own time that way. They finally reached the point where they were annoyed with their friends who were interested in nothing but Minecraft. I'm sure it will go the same with Pokemon Go.

OP, maybe you could try going to a park, let the kids do the pokemon thing for a few minutes (if they are even interested), then put the ipods away and start playing in the park the way you normally do.  Maybe some kids will join yours.  If nothing else, your kids won't lose the park as a fun place.   I don't understand why you'd skip going to the park just because other kids are doing something different there?

I've no skin in the pokemon game.  I'm the only one in my family who is interested in checking it out, but not enough to do it alone.  :-)  Plus, data use; I'm cheap.  :-)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

My brother is a police officer. Last week he had to skip going on patrol to write a public service announcement for Pokemon Go players. "Do not walk into traffic to catch Pokemon!" And it's not just kids, grown people are getting hit by cars. Ridiculous.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OP, maybe you could try going to a park, let the kids do the pokemon thing for a few minutes (if they are even interested), then put the ipods away and start playing in the park the way you normally do. Maybe some kids will join yours. If nothing else, your kids won't lose the park as a fun place. I don't understand why you'd skip going to the park just because other kids are doing something different there?

I've no skin in the pokemon game. I'm the only one in my family who is interested in checking it out, but not enough to do it alone. :-) Plus, data use; I'm cheap. :-)

My children know about it and gave no interest. They haven't asked about it at all. They thought it was crazy that everyone was playing this game at the park rather than playing on the playground. It's not even that my children need or want the other children to join them in play. They are perfectly happy hanging with each other. It's just the environment is not what you'd expect to see by visiting a park. We went to the mall last week and it was the same experience.

There were even several police officers at the park who are not normally there. This is a park we attend often. It was a whole different environment than it was just two weeks ago.

I just think it's sad that this world has become so dependent upon electronics for enjoyment. Believe me, I have nothing against video games. I'm a video gamer myself when I have time aside from my busy schedule between working and homeschooling, but there is a time and place for everything.

• Like 2

No, you aren't the only one. My kids are having fun mocking it, not playing it.

Although I have to say from what I can see in our town, there are as many adults playing it as kids . . .

Yes, adults encouraging it. I see the same thing. Two adults fell through a fence and all the way down a cliff a few days ago going after Pokémon. It's crazy.

• Like 1

Ah, OK, I got from your OP that your kids wanted it.

Well, one thing is for sure:  it will blow over.  All fads do.  If the park atmosphere is weird now, wait a couple of weeks; maybe it will be back to normal.

But..

I just think it's sad that this world has become so dependent upon electronics for enjoyment. Believe me, I have nothing against video games. I'm a video gamer myself when I have time aside from my busy schedule between working and homeschooling, but there is a time and place for everything.

Well, how is a summer afternoon at the park not an OK time and place for this game?    Not being snarky; I don't get it. 

• Like 16

We still haven't quite figured out the concept except we heard there is a Pokemon in our neighbor's bedroom, one at our church's front door, and one at the nearest park. And that's all 2nd hand reports. No Pokemon Go here. We're fine with those who are into it for fun, but it isn't our thing.

Edited by TX native

I'm always confused when people convince themselves that only one thing is possible. Sure, people can overdo it on electronics, but it isn't some big, given conclusion in overall healthy family circumstances. (Yes, I'm qualifying that.)

I do not think my kids are super special snowflakes, but they sound like superheroes in some of these conversations. The fact that they can play Pokemon Go, Minecraft, Plants v. Zombies, watch tv and movies, make silly videos, and (in some cases) use social media has NOT prevented them from herping, biking, volunteering at our environmental center, taking landscape pictures, swinging on rope swings, having water fights, doing yard work, playing ping pong, jumping on trampolines, climbing trees, doing the dishes, taking care of pets, being a junior firefighter, going to karate, taking out the trash, playing family board games, making s'mores, or doing their school work.

I understand some children (including some of mine) can be more frustrating to manage than others, but the idea that it HAS to be all or nothing is just, well... unimaginative.

I'm not saying it has to be all or nothing. My children do all those things and find the balance. I'm talking specifically about the hype of this game and the fact that there is a time and place for everything. My children have lots of different interests, Pokémon not being one of them. Pokémon is actually one of my interests and has been for years and years. I'm a 42 year old mom and still play from time to time, but it's not about that. The folks I see playing Pokémon go, are not finding balance it it. There have been robberies, assaults, injuries, etc. all from the hype of this game. If my children wanted to, "catch them all", they would have to do it with is probably now the old fashioned way.... With THEIR Nintendo DS. The hype of this game is as bad as texting and driving. Now it's Pokémon Go and drive.

I'm not saying it has to be all or nothing. My children do all those things and find the balance. I'm talking specifically about the hype of this game and the fact that there is a time and place for everything. My children have lots of different interests, Pokémon not being one of them. Pokémon is actually one of my interests and has been for years and years. I'm a 42 year old mom and still play from time to time, but it's not about that. The folks I see playing Pokémon go, are not finding balance it it. There have been robberies, assaults, injuries, etc. all from the hype of this game. If my children wanted to, "catch them all", they would have to do it with is probably now the old fashioned way.... With THEIR Nintendo DS. The hype of this game is as bad as texting and driving. Now it's Pokémon Go and drive.

Surely you don't believe that playing this game will cause your children to rob and assault people or fall off cliffs.  Anecdotally, mine haven't yet.

I want my children to be at a park for what it is: enjoying nature, realizing the beauty around them, socializing with each other and other children, going on nature walks, getting some physical activity, playing, running around, and just enjoying everything life has to offer rather than everyone around the playground with their heads stuck in an electronic device. 

No one is stopping your kids from enjoying parks for what they are.

Now, back in the 80s and 90s when people went to parks with boom boxes... THAT was a nuisance.

I would never try to convince someone to play any game (or do any other silly thing, for that matter.)  I just don't see why people have to poop all over others' fun to justify their own decisions.  Or, in this case, not even a decision but a lack of interest.

Yes, the world has stupid people in it, doing stupid things.  They weren't any smarter before downloading the game!

• Like 22

Since people are normally spending their leisure time at the park, and since parks are generally free of major hazards like high-speed roads, then they seem like an ideal time and place to play an outdoor adventure video game.

I have no interest in playing Pokemon Go, but I certainly will not judge people for playing it at the park.  Parks are intended to be used for whatever (legal) recreational activities people enjoy...soccer, disc golf, knitting, reading, bird watching, strolling, pummeling each other with boffers or playing video games in the fresh air.

Wendy

• Like 18

It got people outside the house, walking, running and climbing to play a game, something which numerous programs have been failing to do for years. 

It's fun. 

It's not violent.

It's just a silly scavenger hunt. 

And the eye-rolling and mocking and indignation about 'heads in electronic devices' is just so predictable. 

• Like 31

We have a rule that the iPad stays in the house. And he is not using up the data on my phone, so no Pokemon Go here. He can play all the Minecraft that he wants at home, plus his other games.

For my husband it's a safety issue (walking around not paying attention to your surroundings in not usually a good idea), but he's overly protective in general. However, the above was enough reason to say no.

I personally think it's annoying when someone walking in front of you looking at their phone suddenly stops, turns and sticks their hand out at a weird angle to catch a Pokemon, accidentally hitting you in the face. My bad. I steer clear of them now. :D

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 2

I don't understand the fad of announcing to the world what you and your family aren't going to do. Do you really need to know that you aren't the only one not doing a game? Of course people have different interests. There is nothing morally superior in choosing or not choosing this activity. Or in allowing it or not allowing it ( which btw sounds more controlling than simply acknowledging that they aren't interested to begin with)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 20

I don't understand the fad of announcing to the world what you and your family aren't going to do. Do you really need to know that you aren't the only one not doing a game? Of course people have different interests. There is nothing morally superior in choosing or not choosing this activity. Or in allowing it or not allowing it ( which btw sounds more controlling than simply acknowledging that they aren't interested to begin with)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno. I suspect it's as old as humanity. 

"Glug grunt grlngl, hrglkghtlsli, glug?!?!" 

"Am I the only one not letting son cover himself with this weird new 'loincloth' fashion?"

"Am I the only not letting the kids play with those newfangled "wheels"? Ridiculously dangerous IMO!" 

We're social creatures. We seek social approval. We've always been trolling for 'likes'. 

• Like 23

My son plays.  He has to play on my phone since the old no-service phone he has is too old to download it.    He hasn't run off any cliffs or into traffic but he usually stops walking and looks around when something pops up, and he rarely plays without me being around.  He can walk around our neighborhood a little bit but it's all quiet dead-end streets.    He's getting a lot more exercise and fresh air than he usually would voluntarily.  He's finally stopped complaining about having to hang out at the lake for his sisters swim team practice (they can't swim during practice) or meets.  I'm sure the 4 - 12 hour days we're going to be spending at the 4-H Fair (I'm a leader) will go better since there's a Pokestop at the fairgrounds.  I'll also have him bring a book, and they'll go on the rides (although he generally hates rides) and work our booth and go see the animals.  It will be one more thing for him to do while we are there.  If it wasn't that, it would probably be his 3DS (I don't understand why a 3DS is okay but this isn't, as you mentioned above? My son started playing Pokémon on his big sister's old Gameboy Color.  Is it more virtuous because it's old and not as realistic?)

If we go to the park to play or meet people, I don't give him my phone.  I don't care what other people are doing, I make the rules for him. 

I'm wondering how you know "The folks I see playing Pokémon go, are not finding balance it it."?  Are you following them around for hours to know they aren't doing anything else?   

It's also been out for less than 2 weeks.  I'm sure that there are some people who are binge-playing, just like people do when anything new and exciting comes out.  Give it a month or two (or cold weather if you live where that happens) and the parks will go back to being empty.

• Like 3

Gosh, I think some people are being a little hard on the OP. Maybe she should have made it a JAWM post.

Anyway, OP, you are not alone - there are a couple reasons why my kids aren't playing it, one being they don't have iPods or Smart Phones or whatever you need to play it.

I do think people mobbing Central Park to catch a Pokemon is a bit ridiculous!

• Like 2

My brother is a police officer. Last week he had to skip going on patrol to write a public service announcement for Pokemon Go players. "Do not walk into traffic to catch Pokemon!" And it's not just kids, grown people are getting hit by cars. Ridiculous.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

Our police department had to send out the same announcement this week! 

My kids aren't pushing to play. But they wouldn't be allowed to because my cell phone doesn't have a data plan, and the other cell phone in the family is my husbands work phone. 

I might be inclined to make it work IF if was available in French. We watch pokemon in french, with french subtitles (Part of our french studies). But the English and French names are different for some of the pokemon. 

We've been playing it as a family. Side funny note - my DS was looking at Pokemon Go on my phone and he was in the process of turning it off and giving the phone back to me when he fell out of the van face first. Of course I made sure he was OK, but we've all been giggling about it ever since  :laugh:

The defensive and judgemental posts are kind of humorous. Hope you just ignored them OP.

My kids haven't asked and don't seem interested. I wouldn't care if they did as long as they didn't get crazy about it to the point they were walking into traffic. I have a drink now and again but recognize some people ought to stay away from alcohol entirely. I suppose it the same with Pokeman.

• Like 2

Gosh, I think some people are being a little hard on the OP. Maybe she should have made it a JAWM post.

Anyway, OP, you are not alone - there are a couple reasons why my kids aren't playing it, one being they don't have iPods or Smart Phones or whatever you need to play it.

I do think people mobbing Central Park to catch a Pokemon is a bit ridiculous!

Thank you. I think some are reading way more into my post than what I said. Maybe that or I just have a bad way with wording. My children do have the devices to play with them but only because they are hand-me-downs from my husband and I. If your children don't have any electronic devices, I completely applaud you! I miss the days when children would go outside and play for what it is without the attachment of electronics. I say that, but we DO have electronics, play video games, watch tv, etc., but my children are limited and also encouraged to get outside and play with their friends without being distracted by an iPod in their hands. I want them alert to their surroundings at all times while playing outside no matter where they are. Of course there are many reasons for this post, but everyone is going to pull from it what they see because everyone has different views on matters such as this. I probably should have just thought this and not posted it this morning. I guess I had too much free time on my hands.

• Like 1

The defensive and judgemental posts are kind of humorous. Hope you just ignored them OP.

My kids haven't asked and don't seem interested. I wouldn't care if they did as long as they didn't get crazy about it to the point they were walking into traffic. I have a drink now and again but recognize some people ought to stay away from alcohol entirely. I suppose it the same with Pokeman.

The judgemental posts bothered me at first, but I've been on this board long enough to know better. Haha! I understand that everyone has their own views, I just posted mine. Maybe I should have kept it "hush hush". :)

• Like 1

The judgemental posts bothered me at first, but I've been on this board long enough to know better. Haha! I understand that everyone has their own views, I just posted mine. Maybe I should have kept it "hush hush". :)

But the original post is judgmental too.

• Like 15

Dd16 has gotten into it, but only because her teammates were doing it and we were all out of town together for a competition.  It was a fun bonding experience for them and it got some of the kids whose faces are always into their devices to actually go outside as well as interact with others to see how they were faring.  While they were out there looking for Pokemon, they were noticing things like a restaurant they wanted to try or a plant that we didn't have back home.  So, while I am in favor of living life without an excessive dependency on electronics for entertainment, I don't see it as bad as Minecraft.  At least this activity has people moving and being social.  I actually kind of wish this had been around with my older kids.  They might have been less isolated and they would have gotten out of the house more. 

Like with anything, there are people who take things too far (like the idiots who don't pay attention to their surroundings.)  I see this as a fad that will pass. 

• Like 4

PSA: just a note to Pokemon Go players. BBC world news reports police warn against playing Pokemon Go in mine fields. Just wanted to put that out there in case anyone is tempted to do so. 😉 Evidently some players in Bosnia need this warning. THAT is what I call not finding a balance.

• Like 8

Meh. I think it looks fun.   I also like the feeling of community it seems to be encouraging, as well as being a fun physical & family activity.

That said, I don't play and my kids won't be playing. (At least, not in the near future.)

Why?  One:  Because I don't feel like sharing my iPhone. :p  Two, I have slightly obsessive children, & I don't need one more thing for them to obsess over.

• Like 3

"We are in Despair! [Not because of politics; that all will pass. We see] ourselves out done — thrown into the shade, the background, by a newly found out old invention, to see all the world, instead of studying the Telescope, the Microscope, or the Periscope—all the world intent on nothing but—the Kaleidoscope. Surely, this is too bad! Every boy in the street studies his Kaleidoscope, though he bumps his head against a wall."

Link.

Listen, you do you, but it seems a bit silly to avoid the park because other people are enjoying themselves, whether they're doing so with kaleidoscopes (the horror!) or iPhones.

• Like 7

Sigh. Why do we have to argue about this? Why do people have to mock the other side?

I like games. Games are fun. Adults can play games too. That's not crazy. We've all been enjoying it. It's gotten my kids running around in new ways.

If you don't want to play, just don't play. If you're not interested, that's fine I'm not especially interested in opera. Or leaf identification. Or zumba. There's a million ways to spend time. No judgment.

• Like 15

What??????? We can't be friends now!!!! 

I challenge you to a cumbia/reggaeton/salsa duel to show you that zumba is the best thing evah! 

Bailando! 

Hehe. I almost said crossfit, but those people scare me. I thought they might come for me. I didn't realize zumba had a cult of defenders too! Oh no! I do sort of secretly want to try doonya though...

• Like 4

We play and have had lots of fun with it. All 6 of us will go on a walk after dinner. The kids take turns holding the phone and searching for Pokémon. While they don't have the phone they are exploring nature like they always do. If we're at the park they swing and play while dh and I walk around with the phone. We all talk about the game, our days, and our current surroundings. It hasn't prevented anyone from anything they would normally be doing.

• Like 3

My dd loves nature walks - she picks up leaves, follows every lightning bug, collects rocks. My son for the most time would rather read a book or spend the whole time planning a new and complicated Minecraft creation. Pokemon Go allows them to enjoy walks together - one searching for virtual creatures while the other searches for real. It probably will go by the wayside soon- I don't see is driving around or making tons of stops to look for Pokemon, but in the meantime it's a fun summer activity.

I wonder if it's the same as people that trash Minecraft before they really know enough about it. I would much rather my kids be crafting castles with secret doors operated by red stone, towers that have riddles hidden throughout them, Minecraft recreations of myths -- To name a few of the things my kids have done -- rather than some messy construction paper and cotton ball craft that I'm going to just throw away in a week. But then I detest crafts and think that they get a lot more hype than they deserve.

• Like 7

We live at least 100 miles away from 3G, 4G, or public WiFi. And I refuse to pay for a mobile hot spot just so my kids can play an app on their phones. So, no PokemonGo for us.

Edited by Kinsa

Our local park is a pokemon stop but only toddlers are there. School age kids are either at summer camp or playing games (agar.io/tanks online/minecraft) on the library computers. Drivers are texting as usual.

My kids tried the game on my ipad and was bored, even my screen addict. My hubby is totally disinterested but used to play PS2. The only games I like are arcade games in an arcade.

My DS10 is a screen addict so his screen time is limited. He does the weekly homework from his online class printed out a lot faster than reading the questions on the screen.

We haven't seen any kids outdoors all summer other than at our condo pool.

We haven't gotten it either. I just got a smartphone a week ago, so I contemplated getting it, because at least of my kids has asked about it, but I'm not sure how well it would work in the middle of nowhere like we are (IDK -- if you're rural, do you have to drive to places to catch things?). But also, DH read some stuff about security and data mining or something -- I didn't get to ask him for more details, but he was concerned -- so he said he would prefer if we didn't get it.

I see some definite pluses and minuses. I think it's pretty clever that there's a game that the whole family can play while getting exercise. But of course, some people will misuse and overuse it.

• Like 1

FWIW, I saw kids (including my kids) playing on the playground just fine yesterday, without any electronics. My phone isn't compatible with the app (for unknown reasons), but from what I've seen the game just isn't exciting enough to do 16 hours per day.

I told DH to download it, I'm hoping to get the kids out of the house once the temps go below 90 degrees.  DH has people walking through his office on a nightly basis, apparently there's something in the Blueprint office and IT departments. He's seen more co-workers in the last couple days then he's seen in the last 3 months (90% are men in the 25-45 age range).  It reminds me of a scavenger hunt or geocaching.... not really sure what the problem is, just because it's on a phone? 

• Like 4

We haven't gotten it either. I just got a smartphone a week ago, so I contemplated getting it, because at least of my kids has asked about it, but I'm not sure how well it would work in the middle of nowhere like we are (IDK -- if you're rural, do you have to drive to places to catch things?). But also, DH read some stuff about security and data mining or something -- I didn't get to ask him for more details, but he was concerned -- so he said he would prefer if we didn't get it.

I see some definite pluses and minuses. I think it's pretty clever that there's a game that the whole family can play while getting exercise. But of course, some people will misuse and overuse it.

Being rural you might look into geocaching as a family activity, it's what we like to do sometimes, go on a country drive and find caches. 

• Like 1

We like it. My older son (a huge Pokemon fan) is at camp with no wifi or 3g access so he hasn't played it yet, and my younger isn't into that sort of thing. DH and I have had some awesome dates the last two weeks, though, wandering through different parks in the city, seeing the sites, chatting, and being silly with the game.

As an aside, I keep hearing these stories of how the police hate this game, yet our neighborhood resource officer says this game seems to be solving an ongoing problem at our local park. Our neighborhood has been fighting an influx of crime at the large park and school nearby. Graffiti, vandalism, drug dealing, even a stabbing. The Pokemon people decided to put a gym and six pokestops in this park and there has been almost no crime since the game launched. He says it is because people are once again out in their nieghborhood. We see couples, young and old, young kids, teens, whole families, and surprisingly quite a few octogenarians or older in the park now. Everyone is also talking to each other, checking out the flowers, playing on the playground, having picnics, and doing everything a park is meant for.

It's not for everyone, but that is how it is with most hobbies. There will be stupid people in every hobby (I'm also an avid hiker. Talk to a search and rescue volunteer sometime if you really want to hear about stupid people doing stupid things). Different strokes and all that.

• Like 12