Menu

closed captioning for hearing impaired ?

MAIMOM

I have a friend that just asked me about curriculum with closed captioning for hearing impaired. I told her I had no idea but knew where we could ask. Do any of you know of any curriculum with closed captioning? I am thinking she is meaning an online boxed type curriculum. Thanks

• Like 1

Mystery science does not have captions. We don't use too many videos but we do use closed captioning when possible as my son is deaf. A good resource for your friend for supplemental videos could be the Described and Captioned Media Program. Their website is dcmp.org and it is totally free.

Hello, I'm deaf myself; and no, there aren't any boxed or online curriculum packages that include closed-captioning.  I have looked for one for years.  But the only way to know for sure is to contact the curriculum providers and ask them directly.  

• Like 1

I can "caption" (transcribe in real time) special events, lectures, even field trips, etc. in some situations if your friend has anything like that in mind.  The user reads on a tablet or laptop while I'm typing what's being said.  It's what I do for work. I mostly work for high schools and colleges and I've been doing it for more than seven years. Users just need a mobile device, Skype, a WiFi connection and a mic for the speaker is nice, too, although not always necessary.

I don't do captioning for videos though because, as Rosie said, it'd cost the user too much.  It takes me four times the length of a video to transcribe it word for word and then another while to put the captions on the video correctly  That'd be a *minimum* of $160-$200 for a one-hour video. 

Edited by milovany
  • Like 1