Menu

What's with the ads?

MercyA

What I Mean When I Say Black Lives Matter

I really, really feel for this woman. I don't even have AA kids and I worry about racial tension every time I see the news these days. I, also, get worked up when people really believe there are no real racial problems in this country.

• Like 4

Some of my friends have shared similar sentiments.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. I hope that mom's blog will help at some people to see the pain who hadn't before. I know that for myself.  I had had many opportunities to discuss racial issues with black folk and had what I thought was a good level of understanding prior to becoming a foster mother to a black child. However,  it was the experience seeing things through a mother's eyes that really fully opened my eyes. It's really hard to "get it" fully as a white person because you don't personally experience it and we're all so self-referenced as human beings that unfortunately, that affects our assessment of things. 

It adds to the experience of trauma when a person shares it and others don't believe them. Think of what has happened to victims of sexual assault (you were at least somewhat responsible)  or those who have a disease that the medical profession hasn't identified yet (It's all in your head). Black people have the trauma of what happens to them on a daily basis + the retraumatization of being told that isn't true, they are misinterpreting it; or if they would only do x,y,z, it wouldn't happen. 

• Like 6