Menu

How much overlap between Apologia Physical Science and Hewitts Conceptual Physics?

I really like the look of both books. But I bought both from used book store so I have to return within 7 days if not keeping. I wonder if Conceptual Physics will be redundant to Apologia Physical Science? It seems like there is a lot of overlap, but is it too much overlap? If you did the Apologia Physical Science book, would it make sense to do Conceptual Physics a few years later, or not? Would it be better to either do Physical Science and later, an honors/AP Physics class, or do Earth Science if you want to do Conceptual Physics later? Or would it be good and ok to use Physical Science first, and then a year or two later do Conceptual Physics?

Either one of those is a good choice for 8th grade.

I would not do conceptual physics after a physical science class that spent a semester on physics. Either do conceptual physics and skip physical science or do physical science and then a standard (algebra based) physics course.

Ds13 did Apologia physical science in 2015-2016. He is signed up to do Clovercreek Conceptual Physics in the fall. I wonder if it will be too redundent.

No the CloverCreek course is solid. Physical science courses tend to be a survey of topics from multiple sciences.

Have you seen www.ConceptualAcademy.com?  We were leaning toward that over Apologia because of the videos and such to go along with the textbook.  It's a self-paced course for $65, run by the textbook authors of the Conceptual series.

Edited by Love_to_Read