Menu

I'm planning on doing AP Microeconomics and Macroeconomics with my senior this year.  I've been spinning my wheels a bit over the textbook, what exercises to assign and how to teach something that is on the edge of my comfort zone.

I just got the AP Economics Teacher Resource Manual and Student Manual from CEE delivered today.  http://store.councilforeconed.org/t/categories/advanced-placement/s/ascend_by_name

Wow!  No wonder they seem to be on every AP Econ syllabus I looked at.  The student manual especially seems very straightforward.  It explains the necessary graphs in real detail and gives lots of practice.

This feels so much more doable now.

I joined one of the CEE teacher email lists and got a code for 20% off products in the store.  

• Like 2

Syllabus 3 (off the top of my head) has both Macro and Micro and utilizes the McConnell text, as well as the CEE Activities book for Microecon.  It's really straight-forward and does the job.

I adopted that syllabus for Micro.  For Macro, I think it uses a different McConnell text.  I haven't decided if I'm going to straight adopt that one or write my own that is close but aligned for my text.

You might take a look at Krugman's Economics for AP as well. It is a very popular option in schools and I'm sure you can find syllabi with this text. It takes a modular approach - breaking up a typical chapter into a number of shorter (5-6 page) modules which each cover one concept. In this way it's more incremental than a typical college book and is therefore a bit more accessible to younger students.  Most teachers seem to cover each module over 2 days.

Besides the modular approach, the chief advantage of this book is the review following each module which is all done in the AP format for multiple choice and FRQs. They also have a mock exam after each major unit and two full practice exams in the back. The main disadvantage of this text is the cost $$$$. I was able to get one for about $40 on ebay but they generally run $100 or so.  There are also two companion workbooks (Macro & Micro) under the title Strive for a Five. I did not find these as helpful as the CEE activities book but it does have some nice exercises and unit tests and is worth buying used.

If you'd like to preview the Krugman book, you can see an earlier edition pdf (warning: long load, entire book) by clicking here.  If you click on the Look Inside feature on the Amazon link for the current edition, you can also see an AP concordance chart.

• Like 1

The sample syllabi use two different McConnell texts: Economics 15e (2002) and Macroeconomics 19e (2011).

I gave up trying to match chapters with my $10 copy of Economics 19e (2012). I'm using the topic outline from Jacob Clifford (Mr. Clifford from ACDCLeadership and Crash Course Economics on youtube; he's a long-time econ teacher, reader, and leads econ APSIs around the country) to make sure I don't miss anything important. His videos are all short-----concept review, much graph manipulation, and many, many problems to be worked.

Why did I never take econ? It all makes so much sense to me! I think dd will "get it" right away--logic expressed graphically.

Edited by Luckymama
  • Like 1

The sample syllabi use two different McConnell texts: Economics 15e (2002) and Macroeconomics 19e (2011).

I gave up trying to match chapters with my $10 copy of Economics 19e (2012). I'm using the topic outline from Jacob Clifford (Mr. Clifford from ACDCLeadership and Crash Course Economics on youtube; he's a long-time econ teacher, reader, and leads econ APSIs around the country) to make sure I don't miss anything important. His videos are all short-----concept review, much graph manipulation, and many, many problems to be worked.

Why did I never take econ? It all makes so much sense to me! I think dd will "get it" right away--logic expressed graphically.

Funny you say that.  DS3 was working an especially complicated inequalities problem in AoPS Algebra yesterday.  I glanced at the problem and realized that it was pretty much asking about marginal benefit and cost.

• Like 1

Do you have a link to the topic outline?  I'm not seeing the right thing when I search.  I did find his YouTube channel, which is excellent.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCQEbqDL8i40d83Au55lYMQ

I found this cache of notes from a different AP teacher that seems like it may be useful.  http://apeconkelly.blogspot.com/

• Like 1

For other McConnell users, I just received the study guide for the 19th edition of the full Economics text ($.65 plus shipping in perfect condition!). I bought it purely for additional problems :D but each chapter also has a very brief outline, hints and tips, important terms, fill-in-the-blank questions, t/f questions, multiple choice, and short answer/essay questions with all answers (the essay answers are the page numbers in the textbook).

For other McConnell users, I just received the study guide for the 19th edition of the full Economics text ($.65 plus shipping in perfect condition!). I bought it purely for additional problems :D but each chapter also has a very brief outline, hints and tips, important terms, fill-in-the-blank questions, t/f questions, multiple choice, and short answer/essay questions with all answers (the essay answers are the page numbers in the textbook).

I think I have the 18ed.  I was thrilled to score a copy of the study guide at a library sale for about $1.

• Like 1