Menu

Why has flying gotten SO expensive??

PeacefulChaos

Is it fuel?  Or what?

I remember in 2002 (yeah, it was a long time ago, but still), I could fly from one not-huge-airport to another for less than $300 round trip for one person.  It was last minute because it was for a funeral, so it's not like I booked it way in advance or anything.

Now, though, every flight I look at is at least $600 round trip.  I don't feel like the cost of anything else in the US has doubled in the last 14 years - why has flying?!  

Ugh.  I HATE it.  Because there's just no way I can go somewhere last minute for a funeral or anything else at that price, especially if I take the kids with me.  

Ridiculous.  :(  :cursing:

• Like 1

Actually it is really cheap right now. 

We have been able to go on a lot of flying trips because the prices are crazy cheap.  $70 tickets  on United.  This deal has been going on for over a year.  It usually is for these cities

Chicago

dallas

atlanta

dc

new york

la

san diego

san fran

denver

orlando

and more

Where are you flying out of and to? 

That makes a difference.  That and if your dates are not flexible.

I don't fly frontier or spirit but you can get cheap airfare there

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3

Yes, in 14 years, costs for goods and services (labor, etc.)  the airlines pay have increased.  And, the population of the USA has increased. It is supply and demand. Occasionally, one can get very low fares, at the last minute, but that is highly unusual.  Usually, as the departure date is closer, the fares increase. Supply and Demand.  We went from Cali, Colombia to Orlando, FL, USA,   at the end of April, for less than USD$301 per person, but that was "off season".  I am sure that if I looked at the fare, for the same flights for next week, when the kids here are out of school, it would be several times that amount.  From what I have read (and seen on U.S. TV) the lowest airline fares in the USA are typically available 30 to 75 days before departure.  I try to book our flights at least 35 days in advance of departure.  I look on the web sites of 2 OTAs (Online Travel Agencies, like Travelocity) and sometimes on the web site(s) of the airline(s) I am interested in.  Some airlines are nicer about making low fares available a long time in advance (Avianca, the largest Colombian airline   is in that group) and occasionally to my surprise/astonishment, Avianca will open up very low fares very close to departure.  There are very few seats available, the closer to the departure date and the airline reservation pricing system tries to maximize the revenue the flight will produce. There are a mix of   fares, among the people on board. Some people may be paying USD$150 one way, and others may be paying $600 one way.  

The flight in 2002 was last minute lol... for a funeral, like I said.  

It's just a headache.  Whatever, I understand how to get cheaper flights when I know in advance - but like I said in the OP, this isn't about a leisure trip or something that's planned in advance!!!  

It literally keeps me from going to funerals of family members.  I can't exactly plan those in advance.  :banghead:

Certain airports are cheap and the rest of us are screwed. I'm flying twice in the next three weeks. Both are round-trip with layovers. Both are at least $600 each. It sucks.

When we lived in FL we always chose to drive the two hours to fly out of Orlando because it was so cheap.

• Like 3

I think we got spoiled by the few post-9/11 years where many factors led to very low fares. Fuel prices were low, airlines wanted to get people back on planes, TSA (and the resulting fees) was only just being ramped up, labor costs were lower as pilots were laid off and not negotiating contracts at the time. After those few years of low fares, many large airlines went through bankruptcy and smaller ones completely went out of business or were absorbed by larger carriers.

We are in a different economic climate now. Legacy airlines (Delta, United, and American) have all majorly restructured since that time and are profitable now. As they expand routes, update planes, negotiate labor costs, pay higher fuel costs, etc, that is definitely going to get passed on to the consumer. Add to that the higher government fees to pay for TSA, airport maintenance and improvements, and fares get even higher.

Have you priced out train tickets or driving costs recently? That will make flying seem like a relative bargain.

• Like 2

I didn't see this one was last minute too.

Can you drive?

bus

train?

I feel like I heard some place that you can sometimes get deals on last minute tickets. 

Driving is what we usually do when we travel, but it's ~20 hours each way.  I could do it by myself with the kids, but I have to admit that I don't really want to.

I don't know about the bus.  I have no idea.

Train is around $800 one way from what I saw earlier.  It is cheaper than the flights, for sure, but still pricey.

Back in the day I called the airline directly and asked about tickets for a funeral.  I don't think they do that anymore, nor do I have any idea how much of a discount it was, if any.  

Idk.  I'm just whining.  Sorry.  

The flight in 2002 was last minute lol... for a funeral, like I said.  

It's just a headache.  Whatever, I understand how to get cheaper flights when I know in advance - but like I said in the OP, this isn't about a leisure trip or something that's planned in advance!!!  

It literally keeps me from going to funerals of family members.  I can't exactly plan those in advance.   :banghead:

I don't think that flying is any more expensive than it used to be, it may be that you just got a better deal on that flight in 2002.  I remember paying $450 to fly from Oregon to Texas in 1989.  And that was a common price at that time. I used to fly a couple times per year back then.  Fuel was under $2 a gallon, so it wasn't like that was a factor. 

Sometimes you can get a sweet spot on pricing the last minute, if the airlines need to fill a plane.  Sometimes they leave the price high, if the flight is near full.  You can often get better prices through the airline itself if you call them with short notice tickets.  Even back when I used to fly a lot, I remember calling day after day to check ticket prices because they would flucuate, sometimes by $100 or more. 

Lots of things have nearly doubled in price the past 12 years.  I used to pay $4,50 for a gallon of organic milk back then, now it is $7.50. Not double, but close to it. 

• Like 1

20 each way.  wowzers.  You are much braver than I.  I am sure it is cheaper, but then you have to factor in hotels, gas, wear and tear.

Feel free to whine.  It stinks.

I am sorry about your loss.

Are there any other airports?

Maybe set up a watch at airfarewatchdog

Do you have any miles you could use?

have you looked at the no frills airlines?  Fronteir or spirit?

Edited by mommyoffive

There has been a lot of consolidation in the airline industry in recent decades. There are so many airlines that no longer exist because they either went under (like Pan Am) or got bought out (TWA, Continental, America West, etc). Less competition = higher prices.

• Like 3

Well, prices were really low in 2002 still after 9/11. People avoided airplanes. Fuel costs increased after that, and airlines have added all kinds of fees. They're still charging fuel premiums but costs have reduced, so...profit?

Airlines used to try to directly pass on any increased cost of fuel to the passengers, but these days it's more common for them to "hedge their bets" when it comes to purchasing fuel. They pretty much gamble on the price of jet fuel and crude oil, then lock in a contract at a specified price for a specified length of time.

As with any bet, sometimes you come out ahead (lock in below-market) and sometimes you end up under water (pay above-market).

I think they have went up in price. My mom has been flying from Tampa to Portland Oregon every year for the last 19 years. It used to be that she could find a flight for under $200. Now she is lucky if she can find a flight for under $400. 

My grandmother lives out there and I know when she dies I will probably end up in coach on the the train. With 2-3 kids with me, there will be NO way I could even fly into Seattle from NYC or Philly to be out there for the funeral. I guess I should start saving my pennies now. :(

I live in VA - most VA airports aren't very big, and the cost at them is usually higher, so I generally fly out of DC.  DH and I have flown out of Raleigh, too.

I guess it must depend on where you where you're going. I paid $225 recently for a roundtrip in and out of Richmond, VA. So it's not necessarily VA that's the issue but where you are going and what airlines service both places. Flying overall has actually not kept up with inflation or it would be a whole lot more than even the higher prices mentioned in this thread.

• Like 2

It has become quite expensive. Most people I know do not fly home for funerals anymore. It is just beyond the financial means of most families to fly last minute.

Off season is where the best deals are for many locations. However, some airports no matter what are expensive to fly out of because there isn't enough air traffic at that location to make airlines compete with one another.

Back in the day I called the airline directly and asked about tickets for a funeral.  I don't think they do that anymore, nor do I have any idea how much of a discount it was, if any.  

Idk.  I'm just whining.  Sorry.  

It's one of those times where whining is acceptable. :grouphug: I hope you can find a way to make the trip.

Some airlines still offer a bereavement fare, but it's not much and it's fairly restrictive. Many times they require proof, which can be awkward to ask for, depending on whose funeral you're flying out for. The airline I use no longer offers these fares, because I think so many other venues for affordable last-minute fares became available.

Many of the legacy carriers are now showing profits, but they've been in bankruptcy for so long they're still a bit "hungry" - if that makes sense? A lot of the merged carriers are also now headed by "new blood" who, having seen their predecessors ousted when they couldn't turn a profit post-9/11, are focused on prioritizing profit. I mean, any corporation wants to prioritize profit LOL, but it's more important now than ever for those reporting to airline boards and shareholders. They have LOTS of ground to make up.

This may be one of those times where it's beneficial to hire a travel agent. They'll know the ins and outs of each airline, tricks to finding the cheapest fare, etc. It may cost a bit upfront, but will probably cost less than the cost of a last-minute fare. I used the one my company paid for, so it was free for me, but I think that they only earned a commission if they booked your flight. So it may not even cost anything to inquire and the travel agent would have incentive to find a fare in your acceptable range. Double-check that, though!

It's expensive here because we're no longer a hub for anything, so we have relatively few flights, and almost all of them are connecting unless you're going to a hub. They are closing an entire terminal of our local airport because there simply aren't enough flights in/out anymore.

And what annoys me more-we've done three flying trips this year. Every single flight to Memphis has been horrifically delayed, so even if you get a decent connecting schedule, it is to the point that you have to assume that you'll be stuck in an airport somewhere for hours on end. As a Fed Ex employee put it, if THEY had that many delays, heads would roll-because the company would be refunding shipping for the entire planeload of packages. Yet apparently American, United, and even Southwest just have to get you to your destination, sometime...

And what annoys me more-we've done three flying trips this year. Every single flight to Memphis has been horrifically delayed, so even if you get a decent connecting schedule, it is to the point that you have to assume that you'll be stuck in an airport somewhere for hours on end. As a Fed Ex employee put it, if THEY had that many delays, heads would roll-because the company would be refunding shipping for the entire planeload of packages. Yet apparently American, United, and even Southwest just have to get you to your destination, sometime...

So basically Amazon packages > people

Got it. :)

It's expensive here because we're no longer a hub for anything, so we have relatively few flights, and almost all of them are connecting unless you're going to a hub. They are closing an entire terminal of our local airport because there simply aren't enough flights in/out anymore.

Not to argue too much with your FedEx friend, but generally speaking they only have to get a package from point A to point B by a set date, sometimes set hour if it is overnight delivery. Even with set time delivery, though, they are free to route their packages and/or flights around weather, varying the flight plan as needed to get to point B, so if weather is bad in Dallas, they can route through Houston, etc. Or, they can wait out a storm for a few hours and the package will still make it from A to B by the designated day.

People, on the other hand, usually can't as easily be rerouted, and are asking for hourly on-time arrival, and if we are 30 mins late or an hour late, or even more, it backs up the rest of the flights, and is now late instead of on time.

I imagine if FedEx didn't generally have 24+ hours to get their package from one place to the next, they'd likely have more late packages too. Few of us are willing to say "Sure, 24 hours, via whatever route you want, as long as sometime tomorrow I end up in City B, that is fine..." but that is what we do (of course, understandably) with our packages.

Apples and oranges, not a fair comparison at all.

• Like 1

Compared to all other cost of living that has increased over the years, flying has actually not become more expensive.

Finding inexpensive flights takes some skill and effort. You should play around with the dates, some weekdays are better than others, and with the duration off your stay. You should try to vary airports; sometimes an airport nearby can be significantly cheaper.

But it takes several hours of searching to find the best deal.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Flight prices vary so much, that part is what I don't understand. Airline one, airline two, airline three....same routes, different prices. Or, same airline, but today, next week, three days after that....different prices, and wildly so. That is annoying. That is ridiculous.

That said, we have lucked out recently. Southwest lets you search by map, which is a great way if you need to find the best price -- we were able to pull up their map, choose our starting city and then click/hover on each other city near where we were heading to see the price to that city (one way pricing), and then once we chose the one with the lowest fare, do the same reverse to find the lowest fare back.

If you have multiple airports in driving vicinity, at the start or end of the trip, you might consider searching that way. Or, we have also driven up to 4 hours away -- we flew from Houston to Phoenix, rented a car and drove to San Diego. It was much, much cheaper to do it that way, even renting a car for a week. Just takes really creative searching, sometimes.

I hope you are able to find an affordable way to get where you need to go.

I don't think it's really that expensive, especially if you book your flight out far enough ahead. I thought it would be, but really it isn't. I have a flight in September from Texas to Jersey that only cost me less than $200.

Last minute is always going to cost more, unfortunately.

Flight prices vary so much, that part is what I don't understand. Airline one, airline two, airline three....same routes, different prices. Or, same airline, but today, next week, three days after that....different prices, and wildly so. That is annoying. That is ridiculous.

supply and demand

Airlines use algorithms to determine supply and demand......... different days of the week attract more flyers than others, which also varies by month and season, as well as holidays.

No kidding.  Nearly 20 years ago I could fly to Germany in the dead of winter for around $325 round trip all inclusive.  Now we are lucky to find flights that cost $800. 

Wow. Are you sure you remember that right?

I have never been able to find flights that cheap, and we fly overseas every year. I lived in CA in the 1990s, and going home usually involved something in the $800 range. My flights to see my DH in OR were always between 200 and 350 round trip - from CA.

OTOH, my DD is flying to Europe in September for under $600.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

supply and demand

Airlines use algorithms to determine supply and demand......... different days of the week attract more flyers than others, which also varies by month and season, as well as holidays.

I understand high season/low season, and buying in advance vs. buying very last minute, but I still find mind boggling how much variance there can be in cost of the same exact flight within a week or two time span of watching the price, especially when doing so well in advance. Having to clear your cache every time you search, so the price doesn't artificially inflate...having to know not only which day of the week to travel (which makes sense as impacted by supply/demand), but also which day of the week to hit purchase on that same flight....I accept it as "the way things are" but I must admit, that aspect does not make sense to me.

Wow. Are you sure you remember that right?

I have never been able to find flights that cheap, and we fly overseas every year. I lived in CA in the 1990s, and going home usually involved something in the $800 range. My flights to see my DH in OR were always between 200 and 350 round trip - from CA.

OTOH, my DD is flying to Europe in September for under $600.

yes

it's possible I still have some of the tickets (my husband saves weird things)

Now granted that was a super duper deal and in the dead of winter when few people travel.

I don't go every year, but I've been there about 15 times. 

Now granted that was a super duper deal and in the dead of winter when few people travel.

And probably big hub to big hub, right?

what adds for us is that we always fly from a not-hub. final destination is another not-hub; sometimes we get a good flight there, sometimes we fly into hub and drive. But leaving from a not-hub limits options and adds price

Edited by regentrude

And probably big hub to big hub, right?

what adds for us is that we always fly from a not-hub. final destination is another not-hub; sometimes we get a good flight there, sometimes we fly into hub and drive. But leaving from a not-hub limits options and adds price

When my husband was traveling to Germany 6 times a year in the 90's, it was much more than $325. He was flying out of a big hub, but flying into a not-hub. He always had to change planes. It was not that cheap.

I just got tickets for my son to fly to Chicago and back next week for $150 round trip. ATL to ORD prices varied from $150 (American Airlines) to $350 (Delta, but much better time slots.) he is flying Wednesday to Thursday.

When my husband was traveling to Germany 6 times a year in the 90's, it was much more than $325. He was flying out of a big hub, but flying into a not-hub. He always had to change planes. It was not that cheap.

I just got tickets for my son to fly to Chicago and back next week for $150 round trip. ATL to ORD prices varied from $150 (American Airlines) to $350 (Delta, but much better time slots.) he is flying Wednesday to Thursday.

Don't know if this is the case for him, but when my husband has to buy tickets for work trips, he is required to use the employer's travel service.  The tickets are always more than what we could get privately, but they can be cancelled or changed (which always costs more). 

• Like 1

Don't know if this is the case for him, but when my husband has to buy tickets for work trips, he is required to use the employer's travel service. The tickets are always more than what we could get privately, but they can be cancelled or changed (which always costs more).

Nope. He was on a private contract for Airbus, so it was essentially our money so he went as cheap as possible. I just looked it up and it would be $1300 to make that trip in two weeks. I'm guessing Bremen is not a hub.

Nope. He was on a private contract for Airbus, so it was essentially our money so he went as cheap as possible. I just looked it up and it would be $1300 to make that trip in two weeks. I'm guessing Bremen is not a hub.

No definitely not a hub.  A great place to visit though.  I went there before when they had their big carnival. 

But the Bremen Town Musicians were a bit of a let down.  My husband laughed hysterically over my reaction and said he had the same reaction when he saw it.  LOL  Fun place though.

• Like 1

No definitely not a hub. A great place to visit though. I went there before when they had their big carnival.

But the Bremen Town Musicians were a bit of a let down. My husband laughed hysterically over my reaction and said he had the same reaction when he saw it. LOL Fun place though.

My husband went there like 6 times a year for a couple of weeks while working on the A380 design. He enjoyed it.

• Like 1

I fly often, at least 3 times a month, for work, and I book my own travel.  Ticket prices vary wildly, but generally speaking if you're flying a route with a lot of competition, the flight will be cheaper.  

I'm about to book a flight from Atlanta to Pensacola to Jacksonville to Atlanta.  Cost?  $1100.  You read that right.  It's just that hardly anyone flies into Pensacola, so that's the big kicker for me.  

I'm also looking at flights from Atlanta to Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  It's not until next June, so I'm not booking, just looking.  I have to buy 5 of them, and it's about $1100 each or so right now, because there aren't a ton of flights into Jackson Hole.  That one hurts, because it's on my own dime instead of company money!  

Anyway, I can also go today and buy a flight to Los Angeles for less than $300.  Major hub to major hub is what makes the difference.

• Like 2

IF you have time to play around with dates and start 30-60 days out planning, you can find some good deals.  I stalked Southwest for months and finally got Chicago-Orlando for $74/ticket one way(nonstop) at reasonably times during the day.  So, $1000 for my family roundtrip.  I was super happy.

Last minute flights are expensive.  We have a couple smaller airlines that are under $100 one way for most flights even last minute.  They fly into tiny local airports.  Even carry-ons cost extra.  EVERYTHING is extra.

• Like 1

I fly often, at least 3 times a month, for work, and I book my own travel.  Ticket prices vary wildly, but generally speaking if you're flying a route with a lot of competition, the flight will be cheaper.  

I'm about to book a flight from Atlanta to Pensacola to Jacksonville to Atlanta.  Cost?  $1100.  You read that right.  It's just that hardly anyone flies into Pensacola, so that's the big kicker for me.  

I'm also looking at flights from Atlanta to Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  It's not until next June, so I'm not booking, just looking.  I have to buy 5 of them, and it's about $1100 each or so right now, because there aren't a ton of flights into Jackson Hole.  That one hurts, because it's on my own dime instead of company money!  

Anyway, I can also go today and buy a flight to Los Angeles for less than $300.  Major hub to major hub is what makes the difference.

I'm not sure how near the next nearest airport is (for Jackson Hole, WY) but you might seriously look at how far you're willing to drive in order to save money, then price those. We did 5 of us to San Diego, by going to Phoenix and driving the rest of the way, and even adding in the car rental, for the week, it was still cheaper than flying direct. Toss in that we were going to rent a car anyway, and the savings increases even more. Just a thought.

I was just reading this article.  I think they upped the fees when fuel charges were up, but of course they aren't going back DOWN when fuel charges went down.  Then it became the "norm" to charge all kinds of add-ons, and they just keep adding more.

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/07/11/are-you-ready-for-this-latest-mean-spirited-airline-fee/21430086/

It says:

Last year, airlines made $26 billion profit (after taxes, that is). That's up from $2.3 billion in 2010. Guess how much they made out of baggage fees in 2015? $3.8 billion.

• Like 1

This one is good also.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/opinion/memorial-day-weekend-ranting.html?_r=0

The airlines have maximized profits by making travel as miserable as possible. The Boeing Company found a way to cram 14 more seats into its largest twin-engine jetliner by reducing the size of the lavatories.Bloomberg quoted a Boeing official as reporting that “the market reaction has been good — really positive.†We presume the market in question does not involve the actual passengers.