Menu

LA for gifted that's not MCT?

My son is considered gifted in LA and he's doing very well with Writing and Rhetoric. We use Megawords for spelling (not scheduled but we do 2 pages per day and get through two books/year) and I'm debating if I'm going to start Analytical Grammar this year or next. He also reads independently 1-2 hours a day.

We have not done well with Easy Grammar, Spelling Power, Vocabulary from Classical Roots, or the Core Skills Language Arts that our charter gives us. We also have note done well with the langauge arts program our public school used in 1st and 2nd grade (Houghton muffling, I think) or anything with too much busywork.

We do use MCT, but you could also accelerate with WWE/WWS, CAP W&R, Treasured Conversations, Bravewriter, Megawords, Killgallon, Mosdos, Junior Great Books, and Athena's/OG3 classes, which is what we are doing. 

Edited by SeaConquest

I don't know how much grammar a gifted kid needs.  I think my kid is picking up enough grammar reading good books.  We did do MCT and really enjoyed it, but it didn't seem that life changing as far as grammar knowledge.

I'm going through a little homeschooling identity crisis though, and maybe I shouldn't be trusted. :lol:

• Like 2

When Ds was younger and just needed nuts and bolts, we used Easy Grammar and Sequential Spelling. They were quick, dense for the time commitment, and gave him the foundational skills for high school level foriegn language (which was what he wanted at the time). Now that he is a bit older, we are going to use Shurley's next year combined with Killgallon.

What does your kiddo want to do with the language arts? Mine wanted to learn languages, so we focused on that with Easy Grammar and SS. Then it was analysis of literature, so we used MCT. Now that he is more interested in writing, the LA program needs to shift to Shurley's and Killgallon.

• Like 1

I don't know how much grammar a gifted kid needs.  I think my kid is picking up enough grammar reading good books.  We did do MCT and really enjoyed it, but it didn't seem that life changing as far as grammar knowledge.

I'm going through a little homeschooling identity crisis though, and maybe I shouldn't be trusted. :lol:

I know what you mean. I am wondering if having my 10 year old do CLE Language Arts is a waste of time. He certainly doesn't like it and I'm not sure it's worth it anymore.

I don't know how much grammar a gifted kid needs. I think my kid is picking up enough grammar reading good books. We did do MCT and really enjoyed it, but it didn't seem that life changing as far as grammar knowledge.

We stop formal grammar at the end of 3rd grade for both kids and then just make them proofread their written assignments for grammatical errors. So the focus change from diagramming sentences to proofreading. It works so far.

Mine loves mbtp. I liked the bravewriter methods too, but there wasn't enough structure for it to work well in my home. With mbtp I have structure, but still some freedom. As a teacher, I will probably need more explicit help in giving feedback by the time we reach middle grade levels though; I'm more of a math/science person. The grammar seems right on target for us. There is instruction in mechanics, but we don't need to spend all year drilling irregular verbs, subject/verb agreement, or subject/object pronouns. Ds is capable of reading way beyond the reading level we are using, but he has still loved all but one of the books from last year. For most of them, he requested others by the same author and gobbled those up as well. The spelling is blah, but you might not need to bother with a formal spelling anyway.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 1