Menu

Course Descriptions

We have completed our first year of high school! Whoo!

Can I share my course descriptions with someone for some feedback? It took me quite a while to do them, but I'm happy with results. Just want to make sure they look okay and if I'm leaving anything out. I can message them to you if you are willing to help!

Thanks!

• Like 2

I just pasted here instead of uploading....so book titles are not italic now....they will be on final copy.

Most of these are from co-op... I just dressed it up a bit.

Thank you for looking at them for me!!

(I also have her name at the top right on the pdf)

**Edited (Nevermind the formatting..... I will format my final copy)

9th Grade Course Summary 

Course: English I: Intro to Literature & Composition (1 credit)

Grade Percentages: 50% Compositions, 20% Vocabulary, 20% Grammar, 10% Daily

assignments & reading

Course Overview: This course is an introduction to literary analysis teaching students how to read, infer, analyze, and write about literature. Course topics include analytical techniques, literary elements, literary devices, writing genres, and the form of essay writing with additional work on vocabulary, grammar and mechanics. Works read include Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury), Animal Farm (George Orwell), Return of the Native (Thomas Hardy), The Queen of Water (Laura Resau and Maria Farinango), In a Sunburned Country (Bill Bryson), 1984 (George Orwell), and poetry and short stories by Longfellow, Kipling, Tolstoy, and Thayer.

Materials: Teaching the Classics: A Socratic Method for Literary Education by Adam & Missy Andrews (The Center for Literary Education, 2004), The Elegant Essay Writing Lessons: Building Blocks for Analytical Writing by Lesha Myers, M.Ed. (Institute For Excellence in Writing, Third Edition, 2011), Fix It Grammar Student Books 1 and 2 by Pamela White (Institute For Excellence in Writing, Third Edition, 2014)

Course: Algebra I (1 credit)

Grade Percentages: 60% Chapter Tests, 20% Final Exam, 15% Homework, 5% Notes

Course Overview: This course is designed for those students entering a high school level/college prep math track. The first part of Algebra 1 is focused on real numbers, absolute value, equations/formulas, graphing and writing linear equations to including graphing absolute value functions, solving quadratic equations, and linear systems. The last half of the course focuses on polynomial operations and factoring techniques. Additionally powers and exponents are covered along with and methods to simplify various radical and rational expressions/equations.

Materials: TabletClass Math , (TabletClass.com, LLC, Copyright 2016)

Course: Honors Earth and Environmental Science with Lab (1 credit)

Grade Percentages: 60% Exams, 20% Labs, 20% Homework

Course Overview: This course introduces fundamental ecological concepts and explores the interactions within ecosystems. Students learn about the biosphere, geosphere, atmosphere, hydrosphere, major biomes, ecosystems, chemical cycles, and the role of living things in ecosystems. In addition to learning about environmental problems such as land, water and air pollution, overpopulation, and habitat destruction, students explore practical alternatives for protecting the environment and moving toward a sustainable future. The Earth science course is designed to interpret and understand the world around you and will also explore how current actions of man interact and affect Earth’s spheres leading to local and global changes. More topics to be addressed include, the scientific method, mapping Earth’s surface, minerals, rocks, plate tectonics, earthquakes, volcanoes, geologic time, and meteorology. Students will participate in laboratory exercises, web based investigations, discussions, online lecture videos, projects, and research.

Materials: Environmental Science by Karen Arms (Holt, 2008), Oak Meadow Environmental Science Student Syllabus (Oak Meadow, Inc. 2013), DIVE Earth Science Laboratory Workbook by David E. Shormann, PhD. (Digital Interactive Video Education, 2011), Planet Earth: The Complete Series (BBC Video)

Course: World Geography (1 credit)

Grade Percentages: 50% Homework, 30% Project Notebook, 20% Exam

Course Overview: This course provides a clear and comprehensive coverage of geography and introduces the tools and technologies used by geographers. and stimulates active learning. The text Glencoe World Geography is arranged in eleven units by geographic region and presents individual chapters on each region’s physical and cultural geography as well as its place in the modern world. In addition to the textbook

work, this course lends opportunities for outside study, research, hands-on projects, and notebooking. exercising one’s creativity.

Materials: Glencoe World Geography (Glencoe/McGrawHill 2005; ISBN0078606993), Oak Meadow Syllabus (Oak Meadow, Inc. 2006), Ultimate World Guide Globe Trekker; The Complete Globe Trekker Guide to the World (2012 Pilot Film), Hungry Planet: What the World Eats by Peter Menzel and Faith D’Aluisio (Ten Speed Press)

Course: Spanish I (1 credit)

Grade Percentages: 40% Quiz/Tests, 30% Homework, 20% Vocab, 10% Participation

Course Overview: This course will follow a high school credit Spanish I model, using Avancemos textbook as a guide, as an introduction to the language. Spanish I introduces the fundamentals of the language through grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation. Class time includes the introduction of new concepts and vocabulary, written and verbal practice, as well as fun cultural enrichment through the discovery of

short stories, music, and cultural research. As the pace of the course is increased, students are introduced to more complex language forms. and are expected to demonstrate a greater degree of autonomy.

Materials: Avancemos! (McDougal Littell, ISBN 061859406X)

Course: Fitness I (½ credit)

Grade Percentages: 70% Participation, 20% Teacher Assessment, 10% Homework

Course Overview: This 90 hour year-long YMCA course is designed to provide students with opportunities to develop knowledge, skills, and necessary attitudes for a lifetime of personal fitness and activity. This class is conceptually based and promotes the development and maintenance of personal fitness. and problem solving throughout life. Activities include fitness runs, stations, circuit training, fitnessgram, core exercises, free weights, cardio machines, and swimming. Grading points will be earned according to the following criteria: cooperation, sportsmanship/teamwork, leadership, ability to follow instructions, responsibility, knowledge of the rules, strategies, and techniques of various sports and activities as well as skill level.

Course: Intermediate Strings & Musical Theory (1 credit)

Completion of activity hours: 150 +/- hours

Course Overview: This class is for intermediate level guitar and fiddle students involving advanced string techniques, music notation, music theory, and performance skills will be studied. Additionally, this course will delve into composition, improvisation, and the history of stringed instruments. This class will have two performances, one each semester. Students are required to practice at home daily.

Materials: 4/4 fiddle, acoustic guitar, tuner, capo clamp

Course: Cartography (½ credit)

Grade Percentages: 40% Homework, 20% Class Participation,

20% Presentation/Maps, 20% Tests

Course Overview: This class is a physical geography course where they will be challenged to draw a detailed map of the world from memory. Students learn to draw and label continents, countries, mountain ranges, rivers, oceans, and other geographical features. In addition, students learn basic mapping skills such a how to read maps, the different types and projections of maps, and how to use an atlas. They

will learn about latitude and longitude, and become aware of the relationship of geography to cultures, global issues and themselves. Students will be required to participate in a “World’s Fair†project at the end of the year.

Materials: Mapping the World by Heart by David J. Smith (Fablevision Learning),World Atlas (DK Fifth Edition, 2012)

Course: Crankin’ Engines: 4Stroke Engines (¼ credit Applied Science)

Grade Percentages: 60% Teamwork/Participation, 20% Vocab, 20% Final Project

Course Overview: This 25 hour course is mostly hands-on, and covers the disassembly and reassembly of a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine. Students will be paired with a classmate, tool box, and an engine, to learn the four-stroke cycle, parts and tool identification and functionality, mechanical concepts, advanced mathematical applications, and more diagnostics. Take home work will include vocabulary and parts review, and alternative applications for introduced concepts. A final project is required.

Materials:  Safety Glasses 

Edited by Murrayshire

On first glance, the one thing I noticed is that they are too wordy.

This course is designed for those students entering a high school level/college prep math track.

is unnecessary in an algebra 1 description.

Algebra 1 is a standard course. I would list main topics covered and that's it; nobody will read the course description of a standard math course.

Phrases like this

As the pace of the course is increased, students are introduced to more complex language forms and are expected to demonstrate a greater degree of autonomy.

are flowery and not very meaningful; it is unclear what this is supposed to mean and does not add needed information.

I would go through them and ruthlessly cut out any verbiage that does not add actual information.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

I agree with regentrude.  You want to simplify this so they can glance at it and get the needed info.  Besides cutting out excess words in all descriptions, I suggest you adjust the formatting so that it's easier for evaluators to see the titles of the courses and read the descriptions right away.  

English I: Intro to Literature & Composition (1 credit)

This course is an introduction to literary analysis teaching students
how to read, infer, analyze, and write about literature. Course topics include analytical
techniques, literary elements, literary devices, writing genres, and the form of essay

writing with additional work on vocabulary, grammar and mechanics.

Grade Percentages: 50% Compositions, 20% Vocabulary, 20% Grammar, 10% Daily assignments & reading

Reading List: Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury), Animal Farm (George Orwell), Return of
the Native (Thomas Hardy), The Queen of Water (Laura Resau and Maria Farinango),
In a Sunburned Country (Bill Bryson), 1984 (George Orwell), “Paul Revere’s Rideâ€
(Longfellow), “RikkiTikkiTavi†(Kipling), “Martin Cobbler†(Tolstoy), “Casey at the Batâ€
(Thayer)

Materials: Teaching the Classics: A Socratic Method for Literary Education by Adam &
Missy Andrews (The Center for Literary Education, 2004), The Elegant Essay Writing
Lessons: Building Blocks for Analytical Writing by Lesha Myers, M.Ed. (Institute For
Excellence in Writing, Third Edition, 2011), Fix It Grammar Student Books 1 and 2 by
Pamela White (Institute For Excellence in Writing, Third Edition, 2014)

You might also consider listing the longer works read right in the course description so there aren't two lists at the end.   Poetry and short stories could be listed by author, rather than title.  Something like this:  Works read include Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury), Animal Farm (George Orwell), Return of the Native (Thomas Hardy), The Queen of Water (Laura Resau and Maria Farinango), In a Sunburned Country (Bill Bryson), 1984 (George Orwell),  and poetry and short stories by Longfellow, Kipling, Tolstoy, and Thayer.

• Like 1