Menu

If you bake from scratch regularly...

Tell me about how you schedule it. Do you pick certain days of the week and make whatever you feel the need for on those days?

Or always make certain items on the same day (e.g. tortilla Tuesdays)?

Or pick a frequency for regularly used items and squeeze it around the rest of your schedule?

ETA: I am looking to stop buying anything sold in plastic packaging, so references to other foods you make are fine as well. I do make yogurt when our jar is getting low and I have enough milk.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1

When I'm baking bread I squeeze it in where I can. It's only good for about 3 days, so I try to keep some fresh stuff on hand.   One way I decide which day I'm actually going to bake bread is to look at my menu plan and see if I have any soup or stew on the menu that would be an ideal pairing for fresh bread.   Then I work a second baking of bread for another day in the week 2-3 days away from soup night.

It's far from perfect.  

For awhile before I went back to work I was using Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. The method uses a low amount of yeast for slow rising, and the dough is refrigerated so it's more flexible to use. We didn't like the regular loaves quite as much as my usual recipe, but we liked it way better than store bought.

As needed and as convenient for my schedule. Which often ended up to be a specific day of the week for baking bread, because it had to be a day where I was home long enough from work.

Also weather; I don't bake in summer.

"Frivolous" baking - cupcakes, cakes, muffins,brownies - as the mood strikes or occasion arises.

I guess it depends on what you include in baking.  I make bread regularly, except during the summer. It's just too hot, and we seem to eat less bread then as well.  So, I'm not baking bread now and will pick back up in September.  When I am baking bread I make it at least once a week. Some weeks more, depending on what people eat. Again, we don't seem to eat as much bread as some, so weekly is ok sometimes. I make pizza once a week. Do you consider that baking?

I often make a simple cake, like a pound cake, Madeira, or a Victoria sponge on Friday afternoons, but again, not always.

Every couple months I spend a weekend baking large number of muffins, which I freeze. The kids pull them out as needed. I also make calzones in volume for my older son to take to school for lunch. I also make spanikopita and a few other things. I usually do that one weekend a month and rotate through what I make to keep the stocks up. I don't know if you consider that baking.

I don't really want to have baked treats around, so I only make those when the situation calls for it. I will almost always bake something fancy for a party or a gathering. I can absolutely bake pastry etc, but I don't see a need to have cream puffs and croissants on a regular basis, lol. Again, for something like that the weather needs to be cool and dry, so no pastry in the summer. 

Edited by redsquirrel

I bake as needed. I don't make our sandwich bread--that would be one thing I might try to schedule. As others mentioned, I plan the dinner menu based on how busy our afternoon/evening schedule is. I schedule tortilla-based dishes for a day I have time to make tortillas midday (for burritos or taquitos that I can assemble ahead) or before dinner. I'll make breadsticks or a dinner-type bread for certain meals, again on a day I have time to make it. I try to always make muffins the day before or day of physical activity for my youngest (soccer game, cross country meet, etc). So no regular schedule, but I do plan ahead and know which days of the current week I'll be baking (breadsticks yesterday, birthday cake today, muffins on Thursday).

• Like 1

For awhile before I went back to work I was using Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. The method uses a low amount of yeast for slow rising, and the dough is refrigerated so it's more flexible to use. We didn't like the regular loaves quite as much as my usual recipe, but we liked it way better than store bought.

We used the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes basic recipe (although half whole wheat) for about two years. I made so many things with that basic dough.... loaf bread, pita bread, cinnamon rolls, pizza, etc.  It was such a useful recipe. :)

• Like 1