Menu

Homework planner for kids with ADD

My son attends the local PS and the planner they provide was not helpful enough last year. I'm looking for a planner that would have a page per day as he has trouble with handwriting. Anyone seen anything like this? I love the look of this one but it doesn't seem to be around anymore.

http://www.agendaworks.com/inside_page.html

Or, anyone have planner recommendations for their disorganized child?

Technology?  My dd can keep track of everything, but she has ipad, iphone, imac, all synced over icloud, and she USES them.  Screen shots, Notes, Calendars that sync, everything. She'll take a pic of blackboards for her online classes.  I've heard kids are doing the same thing in physical classes.

If paper, then does his IEP or 504 have the teacher or someone helping?  Really though, tech is good.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

My son was in 5th grade last year and he has an IEP for dysgraphia. In his IEP his teacher writes his assignments in his planner. He was writing them but they were illegible.

He still did what he could, but there was an extra paper stapled in with his teacher's handwriting. Or sometimes she would just put a swirly "no" for no homework.

It was honestly something where he needed something in his IEP. It was just not working.

If he has an IEP, maybe he could get help recording his assignments under executive functioning.

If a bigger page would be all he needs to have it work out ----- go for it, that is a great idea! That way he is more independent and responsible for himself! I am just saying, if maybe more is needed there.

If you did want to, you could staple pages into another planner. It is a little sloppy and the pages may get bent, but honestly my son is the type to want to carry around "the official school planner" "just like the other kids." He is not like that with everything, but I know he would be with the planner, b/c it is something you carry around. You can pull out old pages and staple in new ones, too. It seemed okay for us.

The other thing my son needed was to have someone copy down his spelling list, that also is part of their binder (there is a space for spelling words). I don't think he will need that next year, but there were a large number of things that were causing him a problem, and he kind-of did need it.

Edited by Lecka

You could make one for him and print it and then take it to Staples or Fedex and they'd bind it for you with a simple spiral binding for like $3-5. Ooh, and if you made one you could even include things that would specifically help him, like including an alphabet handwriting strip across the top of each page if dysgraphia is a real issue for him. 

I've been considering making one for my daughter to help her grasp the concepts of time and to help her be more independent with her schoolwork and schedule. Something with bold lines and a simple but fun-looking layout that helps manage a teen-ish schedule but with a younger mindset (my daughter has intellectual disability). Anyway, it really can be simple on Pages or Publisher and then you just make up 1-2 mock-up pages and then copy it enough times for all the weeks of school. 

I like your idea of having one that has one page per day. It could be helpful to mentally focus on the day's assignments too. Unfortunately the only pre-made ones like that I know of are super pricey and made for grown women, like the Day Designer. A student one with 180 days could be much simpler than those. 

• Like 3

I used a small spiral bound notebook, it was maybe 5x7, for my son's assignment book last year. It had a spot to fill in the date and I just drew lines to separate language arts from math and so on. It worked well because he also needed one page per day for assignments without the rest of the week's assignment clutter next to it. It was a simple system, but it was effective for us.

Thanks for all the suggestions. His school may be doing chrome books next year so I will look into that.

His IEP does have accommodations but we are working hard on independence this year so we are hoping he'll get on track and then his teacher will sign.

I'll make my own if I have to, I'd just rather not. But it may come to that.

I use the notebook method for my daughter but it just wasn't cutting it for him for some reason.

His school uses the format of that first link; the weekly planner model. It was just too distracting for him.

I wonder why the one I posted never went to print. It looks fab. Thanks for the suggestions. I just may have to do it on my own.

You could make one for him and print it and then take it to Staples or Fedex and they'd bind it for you with a simple spiral binding for like $3-5. Ooh, and if you made one you could even include things that would specifically help him, like including an alphabet handwriting strip across the top of each page if dysgraphia is a real issue for him.

I've been considering making one for my daughter to help her grasp the concepts of time and to help her be more independent with her schoolwork and schedule. Something with bold lines and a simple but fun-looking layout that helps manage a teen-ish schedule but with a younger mindset (my daughter has intellectual disability). Anyway, it really can be simple on Pages or Publisher and then you just make up 1-2 mock-up pages and then copy it enough times for all the weeks of school.

I like your idea of having one that has one page per day. It could be helpful to mentally focus on the day's assignments too. Unfortunately the only pre-made ones like that I know of are super pricey and made for grown women, like the Day Designer. A student one with 180 days could be much simpler than those.

I messed up lol. Tried to quote OhE and imagine.

I do a variation of both of these but OhE, brilliant. I don't know why I didn't think of this with my DS who anything on a computer screen he hyperfocuses on.

I've been typing and printing out n stapeling their planners. Not nearly as complete as they could or should be.

Great ideas. Love love!

I ended up getting this one. Going to see. A little simpler than I wanted but it may work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q56BSEA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is the best and cheapest I've seen. I'm going to buy 2 also.

I like how they can put in their " book report deadlines" or " projects due" section.

I think having my sons write in what they will do each day will help with their own accountability and prompt them to do more work and get the work done.

Good find dancingmama :)

• Like 1

Something I might try...you mentioned it's a little more simple that you were looking for...there are aspects of the preview options thst I like..I also NEED to add things like imagine more mentioned...things unique to your child.

I may copy the pages I like from this inexpensive planner you provided the link to, then add my own things , then...take to Staples n have them bind it for me. That way I could have the boys make their own covers for them too. If they have a part of making it and do " arts n crafts" for it (the cover ) they will definitely be excited to use it.

Wow ladies, great ideas! :)

• Like 2

Something I might try...you mentioned it's a little more simple that you were looking for...there are aspects of the preview options thst I like..I also NEED to add things like imagine more mentioned...things unique to your child.

I may copy the pages I like from this inexpensive planner you provided the link to, then add my own things , then...take to Staples n have them bind it for me. That way I could have the boys make their own covers for them too. If they have a part of making it and do " arts n crafts" for it (the cover ) they will definitely be excited to use it.

Wow ladies, great ideas! :)

Good idea!

• Like 1