Menu

Vegetable consumption

creekland

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Us too. Which is unfortunate because I love hommus

I do too.  And now that is another thing I end up sometimes throwing out because I can't finish it.  I like it, but I don't want to eat it every day for a week.  So I eat half the tub and then usually I forget about it and then I have to get rid of it.  Wish they had smaller containers.

• Like 1

Regentrude,

Can you go in detail about  the cooked vegetables?

you mean how my grandma prepared them? This is what she usually made (we did not have the wide variety of produce available in the US; choices were very limited.):

Carrots: steamed with a little bit of water and butter, not too tender.

Kohlrabi: steamed until still firm to bit, served in white sauce with nutmeg

Green beans: boiled until still firm, then either served cold with vinaigrette and onions or sauteed in a pan with bits of bacon

Cauliflower: steamed and then served with Sauce Hollandaise, or sprinkled with cheese and bread crumbs and baked until cheese is melted

Leeks: chopped and cooked and served with creamy sauce; or boiled whole and served with bacon and roasted bread crumbs

red cabbage: shredded, boiled, with vinegar and apples

asparagus: boiled, with sauce Hollandaise or butter

Brussel sprouts: steamed, with butter and a bit of nutmeg

I also like to

roast vegetables in the oven - easy quick and delicious

stir fry veggies, whatever is in season

My mom makes a fantastic vegetable bake. All different veggies (carrots, onions, cauliflower, broccoli, leeks, potatoes) are boiled separately and then layered in a huge baking dish, cream cheese sauce is added, baked with bread crumbs and grated cheese on top. To die for. Each of us eats more than a pound of this.

• Like 1

I do too.  And now that is another thing I end up sometimes throwing out because I can't finish it.  I like it, but I don't want to eat it every day for a week.  So I eat half the tub and then usually I forget about it and then I have to get rid of it.  Wish they had smaller containers.

There are single serve containers, they come usually with some crackers to dip in.

Or you could make your own.

Or the others might like it if it is interesting hummus - my friend makes a sweet potato hummus that gets eaten by the spoon it's so good. Or edamame hummus.

Edited by regentrude

hah...so German...

My MIL makes the exact same stuff. 

you mean how my grandma prepared them? This is what she usually made (we did not have the wide variety of produce available in the US; choices were very limited.):

Carrots: steamed with a little bit of water and butter, not too tender.

Kohlrabi: steamed until still firm to bit, served in white sauce with nutmeg

Green beans: boiled until still firm, then either served cold with vinaigrette and onions or sauteed in a pan with bits of bacon

Cauliflower: steamed and then served with Sauce Hollandaise, or sprinkled with cheese and bread crumbs and baked until cheese is melted

Leeks: chopped and cooked and served with creamy sauce; or boiled whole and served with bacon and roasted bread crumbs

red cabbage: shredded, boiled, with vinegar and apples

asparagus: boiled, with sauce Hollandaise or butter

Brussel sprouts: steamed, with butter and a bit of nutmeg

I also like to

roast vegetables in the oven - easy quick and delicious

stir fry veggies, whatever is in season

My mom makes a fantastic vegetable bake. All different veggies (carrots, onions, cauliflower, broccoli, leeks, potatoes) are boiled separately and then layered in a huge baking dish, cream cheese sauce is added, baked with bread crumbs and grated cheese on top. To die for. Each of us eats more than a pound of this.

• Like 1

I'm amazed I ate the vegetables my mother served.  I didn't know they could be so good until I started eating them other ways.  She'd buy canned and then overcook them.  And I didn't mind it.  You'd think I had no taste buds or something.  Of course now I make them pretty much any other way but that.

• Like 1

I found some at the farmers Market here! There is one farmer who tries to grow it. I love it raw, if it is young an tender.

I can find it in the store here.  We grow it too.  Some years are better than others, but we have had some success with it.

Prior I wouldn't have had a clue what it even is.  Same with fennel.  I love fennel.  We tried to grow that, but that didn't work out so well. 

That's funny about nutmeg.  Someone gave us a nutmeg grinder as a gift when we were first married.  I had no clue what that thing was.  My MIL uses nutmeg in white sauces too.  So my husband wanted to buy some nutmeg.  We finally did find some. I'm referring to the whole nutmeg not the ground up stuff.  What's especially weird though is that CT is called the Nutmeg State and yet I had never really had it nor cooked with it prior to that.  And we had a heck of a time finding it!

Oh no she burned them on purpose.  She'd cut them length wise and cook until almost done and just before done burn them. 

Hm, that's awfully close to vegan carrot hot dogs. 

They need a marinading step in the middle. 

A couple variations: 

http://www.theedgyveg.com/2015/07/09/veggie-dogs-made-with-carrots/

http://blacksgoingvegan.com/the-best-vegan-carrot-dog-recipe-ever/

I think they taste best grilled and almost burnt.... 

• Like 1

That's funny about nutmeg.  Someone gave us a nutmeg grinder as a gift when we were first married.  I had no clue what that thing was.  My MIL uses nutmeg in white sauces too.  So my husband wanted to buy some nutmeg.  We finally did find some. I'm referring to the whole nutmeg not the ground up stuff.  What's especially weird though is that CT is called the Nutmeg State and yet I had never really had it nor cooked with it prior to that.  And we had a heck of a time finding it!

I have seen ground nutmeg in the stores, but I don't think I can get whole nuts locally.

I have a nutmeg grater; it cute, semi-conical, and has a little compartment with a door to store the nut.

My lazy way to cook vegetables is to thaw if frozen, then just stir fry with a few drops of sesame oil and a few drops of light soy sauce.

That's funny about nutmeg. Someone gave us a nutmeg grinder as a gift when we were first married.

I won't know how to use the grinder either. We eat the nutmeg fruit from Malaysia slightly pickled. It is sold as a snack in Asia.

I use the nutmeg spice for baking and for coffee.

I don't add sugar, or salt for that matter (for myself).  I prefer veggies raw.  Besides, there is no way I'm going to the effort of cooking a fancy side dish that nobody besides me wants to eat.

No sugar or salt on veggies here, either. And I don't bother with fancy side dishes. 

We eat a lot of steamed veggies - broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.

I love sautéed zucchini. Although I do put salt, pepper, and parmesan on it. 

We all like raw veggies and we do a lot of salads.

I also make stir fry a lot and mine typically have lots and lots of vegetables.

• Like 1

Bacon is the great equalizer. Bacon makes an awful lot of things taste better! :D

or ruins a perfectly good vegetarian dish

(I adapted my grandma's recipes to use without the occasional bacon - don't like meat in my veggies)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Bacon is the great equalizer. Bacon makes an awful lot of things taste better! :D

Maybe for some.  If it is for you, then we differ there.  

I'm really not fond of bacon flavor in things.  I can eat bacon by itself and it tastes ok.  I don't eat it often for obvious health reasons, but other than BLT's (which I leave off the T) once per year or so I can't think of anything else I like bacon or bacon flavoring in.  One restaurant had it in their house dressing once (I should have asked).  I practically gagged.  I didn't eat the salad.  They ruined it!

or ruins a perfectly good vegetarian dish

(I adapted my grandma's recipes to use without the occasional bacon - don't like meat in my veggies)

Salted ham can be ok for many things (like greens) if one must have something.  Bacon is an absolute NO for my taste buds.  I prefer my veggies without meat in general.  I even make my greens without meat.  Hubby uses ham as a carryover from his youth.  We'll both eat either - it just depends upon who's making it that day.  If he used bacon they would all be his.

A couple variations: 

I saw these on an Instant Pot facebook group.  Intriguing! 

Costco.  Box of single serve hummus cups. 

• Like 3

Maybe for some. If it is for you, then we differ there.

I'm really not fond of bacon flavor in things. I can eat bacon by itself and it tastes ok. I don't eat it often for obvious health reasons, but other than BLT's (which I leave off the T) once per year or so I can't think of anything else I like bacon or bacon flavoring in. One restaurant had it in their house dressing once (I should have asked). I practically gagged. I didn't eat the salad. They ruined it!

The grin face was meant to indicate a joke. I wasn't being serious. Guess I did not come across correctly.

I don't put bacon in anything, but know a lot of people who adore bacon everything.

• Like 1

If I had to choose between a cabbage and a box of no-name pasta, if they were 49 cents each, I'd go for neither and buy a scoop of bulk navy beans if that were possible. It may not be, I've noticed the price of dry beans has gone up a LOT and many stores (even not in food deserts) don't sell in bulk anymore. If I'm down to a box of pasta with no veg, no beans, no oil, and I have small children who are hungry, just so you know I'd be begging for help with no shame. Because that 1/2 cup serving of white flour pasta is not either filling that belly for the night.

If I can utilize a food pantry to buy a day or two's time in order to save, and then have a few dollars instead of 50 cents (or if I'm on food stamps as I should be if I have a food budget for 50 cents for a family's meal), I can buy the pasta, and the cabbage, and the beans, for 2-3 meals. Only I'd go even cheaper and buy rice instead of pasta.

I don't want to sound as if I don't have a clue what it's like to be out of grocery money. Believe me, I do. I was homeless as a child, and again as a minor (teen) who left home. I am just putting this out for information's sake, for those who do have a few dollars and not 50 cents for their family's food budget, so they can see how to extend that with nutrition instead of only empty calories.

If our society does not help people who can't afford 49 cents' worth of cabbage to feed their tiny children, then I'm for any political reform on the table. Anything. Sort it out later if we get it wrong, and feed the children. If anyone reading this has no grocery money and faced with the dilemma of white flour pasta v. cabbage, please start a thread about it and we can talk about how to find food. There is government aid available, summer servings programs with free lunch for children under 18, church food pantries...

Yes, there are options.

But really, my point was simply that veg are not so very cheap compared to meat/eggs/cheese, or carbs, as some people suggested - in order to get the same caloric punch and fats, you have to buy a lot more.

So trying to significantly up the veg quotient in a normal person's diet is not necessarily going to be cheap either.  They will probably be replacing something else, be it carbs or protein, and it may well take more veg to get the same effect.

I read an interesting study a number of years ago now - I think done in France - where they switched people from their regular diet to a plant-based diet.  They were more interested IIRC in agricultural efficiency, but I think the results are interesting.  What they found is that while the plant based diet was more efficient than the diet that most were eating before, it was less so than they had originally thought it would be, simply because the people who switched started consuming a lot more. 

What this suggests to me is that if people replace a good part of their current diet with veg, they may well need to replace with more veg than they might have thought, which is a cost.

• Like 1

Yes, there are options.

But really, my point was simply that veg are not so very cheap compared to meat/eggs/cheese, or carbs, as some people suggested - in order to get the same caloric punch and fats, you have to buy a lot more.

So trying to significantly up the veg quotient in a normal person's diet is not necessarily going to be cheap either.  They will probably be replacing something else, be it carbs or protein, and it may well take more veg to get the same effect.

I read an interesting study a number of years ago now - I think done in France - where they switched people from their regular diet to a plant-based diet.  They were more interested IIRC in agricultural efficiency, but I think the results are interesting.  What they found is that while the plant based diet was more efficient than the diet that most were eating before, it was less so than they had originally thought it would be, simply because the people who switched started consuming a lot more. 

What this suggests to me is that if people replace a good part of their current diet with veg, they may well need to replace with more veg than they might have thought, which is a cost.

I see what you're saying. I follow a plant-based diet, myself (Dr. Fuhrman's), to reverse my diabetes and keep my lupus in remission. It is extremely expensive, and it's definitely volumes of food comparatively to get all my nutrients from greens, beans, mushrooms, fruits, a tiny bit of whole grains, and nuts and seeds. I would say I can't afford it, but it's cheaper than insulin which I also can't afford, so I guess I'm affording it...

But the part where we're not seeing eye to eye is this:

Neither I, nor anyone else, is proposing that children in low-income families be raised on a plant-based diet, or (as you put it) that they "significantly up the veg quotient." Because the USDA recommended level of veg is not a significant amount. It's not swapping porridge for edamame. It's serving sizes of 1/2 cup cooked veg, 1 cup leafy veg, for adults. Children's portions are even smaller.

So we're saying that 1/4 cup of green beans, alongside the affordable  protein, complex carbohydrate, and fat servings, is not going to add significant cost and WILL add significant health. People who think they can't afford nutrition are gambling that they'll be able to afford disease. I've been there and disease is expensive. 

And again, if families can't afford the green beans and applesauce, in my experience they don't have enough money for the meat and potatoes, either. :( And this is why we need to help each other -- personally and through the government -- and to utilize the help available if we're in that circumstance.

• Like 6

Wow, you have a lot of responses for vegetables!  I haven't read all of them, but I think the two biggest reasons are tradition and lack of flavor (or lack of knowing how to prepare them so that they HAVE flavor).  I think the traditional three meal day mostly required vegetables only at dinner, and then it was only one (one meat, one starch, and one vegetable).  

I know I grew up that way, and I also grew up mostly eating frozen peas, frozen green beans, and frozen corn.  (All prepared the same way:  cooked with a little butter and salt.)  So, I grew up thinking vegetables were the most boring thing in the world, and that you just had to figure out how to swallow them once a day, like medicine.

In the last few years I've finally learned how delicious they are.  It's all in the preparation (and variety!)!  I love vegetables now and we'll often have three for dinner, each prepared differently, and they are delicious.  I'll also have a veggie smoothie for lunch.  (Sweetened with just enough fruit.)

• Like 1

A couple variations: 

Very interesting. Wish I was on tomatoes so I could try it out in chili dogs.

The grin face was meant to indicate a joke. I wasn't being serious. Guess I did not come across correctly.

I don't put bacon in anything, but know a lot of people who adore bacon everything.

Oh good.  I was beginning to think maybe we weren't as similar as we'd been thinking!  ;)

There obviously are tons of people who like bacon in everything from salad dressings to burgers.  It wouldn't be available in so much if folks didn't support it with their $$.  As is common, I tend to be unusual.  The original article and the thread shows that I'm unusual with veggies too.  I knew it about bacon.  I had no idea I was that unusual with veggies.

As is (my) usual, I've already met quota with breakfast - adding green peppers this time as they're finally ready in our garden (yum!).

Veggies in the summer are super inexpensive for us since we have the space to garden and the ready source of fertilizer from our ponies and chickens.  The only thing we buy are seeds/plants and gas for the rototiller.  Even when we need to water plants, that's free since we have our own well rather than city water. We also "gain" exercise and the relaxation gardening brings.

Wow, you have a lot of responses for vegetables!  I haven't read all of them, but I think the two biggest reasons are tradition and lack of flavor (or lack of knowing how to prepare them so that they HAVE flavor).  I think the traditional three meal day mostly required vegetables only at dinner, and then it was only one (one meat, one starch, and one vegetable).  

I know I grew up that way, and I also grew up mostly eating frozen peas, frozen green beans, and frozen corn.  (All prepared the same way:  cooked with a little butter and salt.)  So, I grew up thinking vegetables were the most boring thing in the world, and that you just had to figure out how to swallow them once a day, like medicine.

In the last few years I've finally learned how delicious they are.  It's all in the preparation (and variety!)!  I love vegetables now and we'll often have three for dinner, each prepared differently, and they are delicious.  I'll also have a veggie smoothie for lunch.  (Sweetened with just enough fruit.)

I think tradition plays a big part in it, but there have certainly been tons of posts about how many don't like the flavor.  I had no idea how many that affected.  Most veggies have always tasted good to me - as long as they didn't come from a can.  Canned (or overcooked) veggies are something I'll only eat to be polite if I'm visiting someone.  We use frozen veggies a bit in the winter - either our own excess or from the grocery store.  Some things I still buy fresh, but not as many as the flavor just doesn't match our garden's produce.

I like veggies just microwaved/steamed.  Most don't need anything added to them, but I also like them in other recipes as long as one doesn't make them sweet.

Have you all heard the old joke about how the drawer in the fridge that's the vegetable crisper should be called the vegetable rotter? It's where you put all the veg you buy when you're being pious in the store and then they rot in the fridge.... :P

That was so true at my house, and then I redid our fridge. I put all the perishables on the top shelf. We're SO MUCH better about eating fruit/veg and or waste has gone WAY down.

Edited by FriedClams

Yes. So much yes. YesYesYesYes.

Veggies in the summer are super inexpensive for us since we have the space to garden and the ready source of fertilizer from our ponies and chickens.  The only thing we buy are seeds/plants and gas for the rototiller.  Even when we need to water plants, that's free since we have our own well rather than city water. We also "gain" exercise and the relaxation gardening brings.

We love to garden.  But each tomato ends up costing us about $40.  :)  We always eat them with great joy, exclaiming how much they are worth it. And they are.  But not cheap.  

• Like 1

We love to garden.  But each tomato ends up costing us about $40.   :)  We always eat them with great joy, exclaiming how much they are worth it. And they are.  But not cheap.  

:svengo:  Ours would work out to a couple cents each with as many as we get.  We have 18 plants that cost us $10.50 total.  We'll have enough tomatoes for ourselves (summer and freezing for winter) and excess to give away to friends and church - esp from the 6 cherry tomato plants since we don't freeze those.

1050/18 is roughly 60.  I know we get at least 30 per plant (esp with cherries).  Do we get 60?  Maybe.  If so, then a penny each.  They're one of the cheapest things we grow.  (They're staked on recycled wood with recycled twine holding them - no cost on any of that.)

We'd run the rototiller even if we didn't have tomato plants, so I'm not sure how to figure in the gas costs.

We don't have Costco here.

I buy the single-serve cups at Target and Publix.

Mostly, we use the tubs (often family sized), but I keep the single-serve cups around for my son to toss in lunches.

I'm not talking here about the ones you sometimes see in delis or convenience stores that come with pretzels or something for dipping. These come in a box or multi-pack, just the little cups of hummus. It's more expensive per serving than scooping some of of the larger tub, but if you routinely waste some from the big tubs, then the price difference might be negligible.

• Like 1

I buy the single-serve cups at Target and Publix.

Mostly, we use the tubs (often family sized), but I keep the single-serve cups around for my son to toss in lunches.

I'm not talking here about the ones you sometimes see in delis or convenience stores that come with pretzels or something for dipping. These come in a box or multi-pack, just the little cups of hummus. It's more expensive per serving than scooping some of of the larger tub, but if you routinely waste some from the big tubs, then the price difference might be negligible.

I've never seen them.  We don't have those stores either.  (Just regular Target).

Just to report that thanks to this thread I actually prepared an extra serve of veg for lunch yesterday and an extra vegetable side at dinner. The only one who may not have achieved his veg portions was the four year old.

I did have more dishes to do and the biggest issue for me with it is time.

• Like 4

:svengo:  Ours would work out to a couple cents each with as many as we get.  We have 18 plants that cost us $10.50 total.  We'll have enough tomatoes for ourselves (summer and freezing for winter) and excess to give away to friends and church - esp from the 6 cherry tomato plants since we don't freeze those.

1050/18 is roughly 60.  I know we get at least 30 per plant (esp with cherries).  Do we get 60?  Maybe.  If so, then a penny each.  They're one of the cheapest things we grow.  (They're staked on recycled wood with recycled twine holding them - no cost on any of that.)

We'd run the rototiller even if we didn't have tomato plants, so I'm not sure how to figure in the gas costs.

I think our problem is a tree that has grown a lot in the last 5 years since we've lived here.  Plus squirrels that steal every tomato they can get their hands on.  But we keep trying, because we've had good years in the past (though, probably 5 years ago), and nothing beats homegrown tomatoes.

I buy tomatoes in the fall at $8/25 pounds when they come in locally.  That's highly worth it to me, because a close second to fresh homegrown tomatoes is home-canned tomatoes.  So hundreds and hundreds of pounds of those.

I love tomatoes.  :)

• Like 1

Dare I confess that hubby and I went out to Arby's for lunch today (since we were already in town and it was lunch time... and those fried mozzarella sticks they have are scrumptious!)?  So lunch had no veggies or fruit - just a regular Arby's sandwich with Horsey Sauce (there might be a wee bit of horseradish in it), mozzarella sticks, and a small Jamocha shake...

At least I got my veggie quota at breakfast, and with a large lunch like that, supper consisted of just green peas and cherries.  When one is empty nesting, one can get away with meals like that for supper. :closedeyes:

So even on a cheatin' day we still met quota - even though I never thought I actually had a quota.  I think that all goes back to what folks consider their normal meals.

• Like 1

Hollaindaise sauce is so good on vegetables. OH MY WORD

Good thing it's kind of a pain to make. Otherwise I'd make it often. LOL

Have you tried making blender hollaindaise? It takes less than a minute. It's more dangerous than mug cake.

It says it's four servings but that's a misprint. I'm pretty sure it's only one.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/blender-hollandaise-recipe.html

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2