Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

*cry* I'm trying to adjust to rural living...

I'm trying.  Really, I am.

But I placed an order off Amazon on Monday.  I am a Prime member, which is supposed to be 2-day delivery.  I knew that because I'm now living rurally that it would likely take more than 2 days... maybe 3 days?  4 days? 

I got notified by Amazon that my stuff should arrive today, Friday.  Okay.  So, 5 days.  Okay.

But then I went into the post office, where our PO box is, and asked the lady at the counter if today's shipments arrived.  She said they had, but there was nothing for me. 

I must have audibly whimpered.

She asked me if I ordered from Amazon, as apparently lots of people here do frequently.  I said yes, and she said that I can add a day or two to whatever day Amazon says it will arrive on. 

Okay, so... 6 days?  7 days?

No, it'll be 8 days, because the PO window isn't open on Saturdays or Sundays.  It's only open M-F from 9-3, with an hour off for lunch.  And if she's sick, the window is closed.

And this, after living where I could get TWO HOUR Amazon delivery.

*cry*

• Like 3

:( That would be hard. On the other hand it would probably save me a massive amount of money! Maybe you should just order huge amounts at once. ;)

Besides Amazon, how are you settling into the new place? Do you have a fantastic view?!

• Like 1

Might an e-reader help? I know that in some areas the internet isn't the best (dial-up or satellite), but they do eliminate shipping times on books.

I'm so sorry, Karen.  :grouphug:  I live very rurally, as in 20 miles from the nearest grocery store and 45 miles from the nearest discount/department store (Walmart), and I don't experience anything like what you're experiencing with Amazon. At one point, I had a lot of trouble with FedEx deliveries from Amazon, so I called Amazon and complained. They put a flag on my account to never use FedEx to ship to me anymore. I wonder what would happen if you called Amazon. Does UPS deliver to your area?

• Like 4

:( That would be hard. On the other hand it would probably save me a massive amount of money! Maybe you should just order huge amounts at once. ;)

Besides Amazon, how are you settling into the new place? Do you have a fantastic view?!

I DO have an fantastic view.  I can see the mountains right out my kitchen window, and they glow golden at sunrise each morning.  Spectacular.

My kids are aching to meet other kids, so I found out about a free art class being held once a week near Lajitas (that's the town famous for its goat mayor), so I decided to take the kids to it.

Well, it takes an entire hour to get to Lajitas (and it's one of the closest places to us).  I drove the kids there, then drove home again.  Then a few hours later, drove back to pick them up, then home again.  FOUR HOURS in the car. Four.

And my kids doubled the size of the class.  (LOL)

At least I got to stop at the general store in Terlingua to pick up a few (overpriced) groceries along the way.  I had to chuckle a little bit at that experience.  There were two store employees and two other customers (who weren't together)... and they all four knew each other, calling each other by first names, asking how this-or-that was, etc.  I'm sure my appearance caused quite a stir.  (LOL)  Anyway, I thought it was... quaint... how each item I bought had literal price tags on them, and the cashier had to type in each price into the cash register... I haven't seen that since the late 1980's.  (LOL)

And I still haven't figured out how to treat the water in my rain barrel.  I have someone coming over on Monday to teach me.  I'm such a city girl.  (LOL)

Edited by Kinsa
  • Like 5

I'm so sorry, Karen.  :grouphug:  I live very rurally, as in 20 miles from the nearest grocery store and 45 miles from the nearest discount/department store (Walmart), and I don't experience anything like what you're experiencing with Amazon. At one point, I had a lot of trouble with FedEx deliveries from Amazon, so I called Amazon and complained. They put a flag on my account to never use FedEx to ship to me anymore. I wonder what would happen if you called Amazon. Does UPS deliver to your area?

I'm 30 miles from a small mom-and-pop general store, and several HOURS away from a Walmart.  And FedEx doesn't deliver to my area.  At all.  (But UPS does, so I'm told???)

There is a goat mayor?  What is that?  An actual goat is the mayor?  Probably not..but...what?!

Yes.  The mayor of Lajitas is a goat.  A real, live, goat.  His name is Clay Henry, or something like that.

Here ya go:  http://www.texashighways.com/blog/item/7528-lajitas-gets-its-goat

Edited by Kinsa
  • Like 10

I'm 30 miles from a small mom-and-pop general store, and several HOURS away from a Walmart.  And FedEx doesn't deliver to my area.  At all.  (But UPS does, so I'm told???)

That's not rural.  That's another planet.  :scared:

• Like 12

I don't think I could hack living rurally.

Which is incredibly odd given how introverted I am.

I'm sorry. : (

You never know! I actually like that I could (not that *I* have ever done this ;) ) walk out in my pasture in non matching boxers and a tshirt and huge rubber boots, or even better- a swimsuit and rubber boots- and know that only one neighbor could possibly see me and I would not be embarrassed because even odds she's dressed the same way. I regularly take my trash out in flannel pants and curlers too. Or carry my rooster around while talking to the neighbor. We are still close enough to a town though to get some delivery though. So KInsa definitely has me beat on rural. I have my own mailbox. I feeling practically citified in comparison.

• Like 1

I DO have an fantastic view. I can see the mountains right out my kitchen window, and they glow golden at sunrise each morning. Spectacular.

My kids are aching to meet other kids, so I found out about a free art class being held once a week near Lajitas (that's the town famous for its goat mayor), so I decided to take the kids to it.

Well, it takes an entire hour to get to Lajitas (and it's one of the closest places to us). I drove the kids there, then drove home again. Then a few hours later, drove back to pick them up, then home again. FOUR HOURS in the car. Four.

And my kids doubled the size of the class. (LOL)

At least I got to stop at the general store in Terlingua to pick up a few (overpriced) groceries along the way. I had to chuckle a little bit at that experience. There were two store employees and two other customers (who weren't together)... and they all four knew each other, calling each other by first names, asking how this-or-that was, etc. I'm sure my appearance caused quite a stir. (LOL) Anyway, I thought it was... quaint... how each item I bought had literal price tags on them, and the cashier had to type in each price into the cash register... I haven't seen that since the late 1980's. (LOL)

And I still haven't figured out how to treat the water in my rain barrel. I have someone coming over on Monday to teach me. I'm such a city girl. (LOL)

I think you're past rural. Perhaps desolation is a better descriptor. Sound like we need to ship you a care package!! You need to post some pics of your view after you're all settled in though.

• Like 3

Karen living in BBNP is not "rural".   That is severely isolated.   I hope you get the stuff you ordered, ASAP.  Do UPS and FedEx deliver in BBNP?

Kinsa, I don't think you can live more rural than we do.  We have 2 hours to the nearest Walmart.  2 hours to the nearest stop light.  2 hours to the the nearest pretty much anything.

And yet, our Amazon 2-day shipping is amazing.  Pretty much always works, although sometimes it might take 3 days.  

I am spending way too much money because it is just so darned handy.  

I wonder if it would do anything to call?

You never know! I actually like that I could (not that *I* have ever done this ;) ) walk out in my pasture in non matching boxers and a tshirt and huge rubber boots, or even better- a swimsuit and rubber boots- and know that only one neighbor could possibly see me and I would not be embarrassed because even odds she's dressed the same way. I regularly take my trash out in flannel pants and curlers too. Or carry my rooster around while talking to the neighbor. We are still close enough to a town though to get some delivery though. So KInsa definitely has me beat on rural. I have my own mailbox. I feeling practically citified in comparison.

I'd do all of that here.  LOL

There is so much going on nobody would bat a lash.

• Like 1

Are you my new neighbor?

Our PO Box is where most of my orders go. They are not open on weekends. They close 1-1.5 hours for lunch. And they close for the day at 2:30. I have just ordered ds some school uniforms and they are sitting at the PO but I can't get them because when I looked at the clock it was closing time. Our box is too small for most items so I have to wait til someone is physically present to get my stuff. They will bring my packages to me if one of the employees is physically present and the window is closed if I just ask. Like, if I show up 5 minutes late and they are still working they will walk my packages around from the back for me. Basically me hollering to them (politely) through the wall of boxes LOL

Sometimes I have packages sent directly to the house (like a large bag of kitty litter), but I don't think UPS or FedEx deliver on Saturday. They may have a handful of times, but even the school near me confirmed that FedEx dose not.

I wonder if 8 days is a fluke. I go to my order history and click track package usually before I go to the PO. Though, in my case, I'm usually so slow about getting there at the right time that the package has been sitting there for days.

It's annoying, but you will maybe get used to it. I'm sorry. It does suck.

• Like 1

Got it. That is VERY rural. 

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

That sucks.  I'm sorry.

Karen living in BBNP is not "rural".   That is severely isolated.   I hope you get the stuff you ordered, ASAP.  Do UPS and FedEx deliver in BBNP?

Well, I was trying to be politically correct by saying "rural" instead of saying "I'm at the freakin' end of the earth".  LOL

I'm told that FedEx doesn't deliver into my area at all.  I hear that they will deliver stuff into Alpine, and you have to go pick it up there (which is an hour and a half away).  I'm told that UPS will come here, but I think they group deliveries so they only have to come out a couple times a week.  But I don't know.  I'm still trying to figure all of this out.

I really need that Amazon order.  It has new sneakers for one of my sons.  On Wednesday, two days AFTER I made the order, the soles of his shoes separated from the uppers.  He needs new shoes, like, two days ago. 

• Like 3

Don't order dvds. The biggest collection of dvds I had ever seen belonged to a guy who works there in the park. I can try to give you a virtual "hello" if you find yourself in need of entertainment done weekend. Although, as rural as you are, I bet you have already met.

• Like 2

Don't order dvds. The biggest collection of dvds I had ever seen belonged to a guy who works there in the park. I can try to give you a virtual "hello" if you find yourself in need of entertainment done weekend. Although, as rural as you are, I bet you have already met.

LOL - that's hilarious!  I don't know if we've met yet.  I've been busy unpacking and trying to set up house, and I haven't met too many folks yet.

Oh boy! Sounds like you are literally in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure it's beautiful, but what an adjustment!! Hope your shipment comes soon.

And about the goat? No way, just no way. I was laughing hard while reading the article. Hmmm... let's have the goat run for president! I might actually give him my vote 😂

ETA: As far as Amazon... I'd contact them. You are paying for prime, but that's definitely not working. They either deliver quickly or return your money for that membership. You are paying for a service the company is not fulfilling :(

Edited by mamiof5
  • Like 1

Except for the fact that BBNP is too hot for me half of the year, I am insanely jealous of your adventure.

At least the Amazon stuff finds you and doesn't have to go through customs and you don't have to pay international shipping. The people at the post office speak English. The roads are good for those four hours of driving. You can drink the water (I hope). You have Internet access. And it's because you're so isolated that your new home is so amazing. You are so lucky!

• Like 3

You have my deepest sympathies. I'd ship you tissues, but they wouldn't get there in time.  :crying:

• Like 5

I live in an area that I would consider semi rural, especially compared to what you describe.  Actually, the area I live in is probably the closest area for grocery stores/walmart/etc for at least an hour of rural area surrounding us.  And I can't stand it.  If I had to deal with an area like that...I would go insane.  I don't consider myself a city girl by any stretch of the imagination.  But, totally rural like that?  no thank you.

You have my sympathies. 

Bummer.

We live in a pretty rural area, too.  Hours and hours of driving for activities, shopping, medical appts, etc.  I've learned to have my bag of things to do packed & ready to go, so that I can hang out in my car and read or plan school or whatever during my kids' activities instead of spending the time going back and forth between home.

Another funny thing about my area, if the UPS driver sees you at the store or Post Office and you make eye contact, he'll flag you down and give you packages for people in your neighborhood so he doesn't have to drive all the way out here. 

Ha!

Edited by Random
  • Like 7

For you, SparklyUnicorn:

If I did this right, here are some pictures from when I visited the Lajitas "city hall" back in December.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqcuvb9sgfzk95a/20151228_164141.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5i1plfdvkaw3g3/20151228_164157.jpg?dl=0

Is that you, Karen?  You are so pretty! 

• Like 18

For you, SparklyUnicorn:

If I did this right, here are some pictures from when I visited the Lajitas "city hall" back in December.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqcuvb9sgfzk95a/20151228_164141.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5i1plfdvkaw3g3/20151228_164157.jpg?dl=0

You have to wonder how many other places are envious that they get to keep their local politician in a pen. :)

• Like 27

Now that it seems I figured out how to link a picture...

View from kitchen window:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4wq5zx20off15l/20150923_074821.jpg?dl=0

The general store I drove 30 miles to get to:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcgq22j4z1pvosy/20150922_115128.jpg?dl=0

That's a gorgeous view!!!

Your general store reminds me of the town my grandparents had a ranch in while I was growing up. It was called Dime Box (in TX) not near as isolated as yours though. Had one stop sign. No stop lights. Had to run your own water from the highway to your own place- miles of water pipe to run- or dig a well. Our general store was smaller though than the one in your pic, and for some reason kept their tampons and pads hidden behind the glass counter. Talk about humiliation at 16!!! But it was that or drive at least 20 miles to the next decent town! That was my big memory of our general store. :)

You and my sister could commiserate, although she isn't as isolated as you are. Frequently the gravel roads in her county wash out, or have giant snow drifts and the rancher that lives on that road hasn't plowed. So, her mail lady will leave the mail somewhere. It may be at a neighbor's house, the corner store, my sister never knows. She does get a phone call telling her where it is though.

Yes, beautiful views.  I have the snow-capped Rockies out my window.  They feed my soul.

I would love to trade places with you for awhile, though.  

I keep laughing at the goat/mayor.  That's hilarious.  I have to ask, though.  Is he like an honorary mayor and then they have a real mayor?  Or is Clay all they got?

• Like 1

Well, it takes an entire hour to get to Lajitas (and it's one of the closest places to us).  I drove the kids there, then drove home again.  Then a few hours later, drove back to pick them up, then home again.  FOUR HOURS in the car. Four.

Um. Why did you go back home?

Yes, beautiful views. I have the snow-capped Rockies out my window. They feed my soul.

I would love to trade places with you for awhile, though.

I keep laughing at the goat/mayor. That's hilarious. I have to ask, though. Is he like an honorary mayor and then they have a real mayor? Or is Clay all they got?

Clay is all they got.

• Like 3

Because the activity was four hours long (9am-1pm). What was I supposed to do for four hours? I needed groceries, so I took care of that while they were there.

• Like 1

Clay is all they got.

Ok, that's just plain crazy.  But funny.  I think I would like living where you are, funky Amazon shipping and all.

• Like 1

I was wondering this also. I would have found something to do in Lajitas while you waited. 

Your location makes the rez town where I work sound like a major metropolis. 

• Like 3

I was wondering this also. I would have found something to do in Lajitas while you waited.

Your location makes the rez town where I work sound like a major metropolis.

Except that there's really nothing to "do" in Lajitas. It isn't a real town, like what you would think.

Except that there's really nothing to "do" in Lajitas. It isn't a real town, like what you would think.

You could have sat on the porch or in a corner where the art class was being taught and hung out on the forums or written on your blog or whatever.

Although I do see the merits in grocery shopping.

I am still adjusting to living with a budget that is not so tight that an extra trip back and forth would make or break an outing.

• Like 2

That's a gorgeous view!!!

Your general store reminds me of the town my grandparents had a ranch in while I was growing up. It was called Dime Box (in TX) not near as isolated as yours though. Had one stop sign. No stop lights. Had to run your own water from the highway to your own place- miles of water pipe to run- or dig a well. Our general store was smaller though than the one in your pic, and for some reason kept their tampons and pads hidden behind the glass counter. Talk about humiliation at 16!!! But it was that or drive at least 20 miles to the next decent town! That was my big memory of our general store. :)

My best friend's granny and half her relatives lived in Dime Box back in the 70's. I used to spend weekends at their house. I loved the way everyone said "dime". It wasn't exactly the long i sound, and it stretched into 2 syllables!