Menu

Math help--pre-algebra or algebra?

LAmom

My daughter took the Saxon placement test and passed the 8/7 (17 out of 20) part but not the 1/2 part (10 out of 20).  She completed CLE 7 this year and part of Saxon 8/7.

So, what does she need for 8th grade?  Pre-Algebra?  Should I have her do MM7 or do Saxon 1/2?  I was thinking she could try to do the MM7 final test and see if she passes that?

I feel this pressure that she should be in Algebra in 8th grade but don't think she is ready.  Primarily because we have jumped around too much and she is missing chunks in learning.  :(  

Other suggestions?

I would have her tested in the programs you're considering and then make a decision. Also, if you feel that there are holes in her learning she could quickly go through the key to series including the algebra and that could act as a pre algebra.

I would go with your gut feeling. Remember that you're teaching the child that you have and not the child that other people have. 

If you choose a topically oriented pre-algebra, you can compact and find gaps in learning by administering each chapter's test.

If she gets an A on the test, reteach and correct any missed problems and move on.

If she gets a B/C, I'd recommend reteaching, correcting, and working the chapter review as well. 

If she scores less than that, work the whole chapter.

If her knowledge of pre-algebra is actually sufficient to move on to algebra, she should be through the entire book in less than a month with this level of compacting, and you could start algebra. If her knowledge of pre-algebra is not sufficient, I'd much rather find it out by getting slowed down in pre-algebra than by jumping into algebra and having to quit and go back to pre-algebra after experiencing frustration and failure. 

• Like 2

I would go with your gut feeling. Remember that you're teaching the child that you have and not the child that other people have. 

If you choose a topically oriented pre-algebra, you can compact and find gaps in learning by administering each chapter's test.

If she gets an A on the test, reteach and correct any missed problems and move on.

If she gets a B/C, I'd recommend reteaching, correcting, and working the chapter review as well. 

If she scores less than that, work the whole chapter.

If her knowledge of pre-algebra is actually sufficient to move on to algebra, she should be through the entire book in less than a month with this level of compacting, and you could start algebra. If her knowledge of pre-algebra is not sufficient, I'd much rather find it out by getting slowed down in pre-algebra than by jumping into algebra and having to quit and go back to pre-algebra after experiencing frustration and failure. 

So would it work to use MM7 (which I own), giving her the test for each chapter, as you suggested, and move through that and then start Algebra I once I think she has a decent grasp on all concepts taught in MM7?

I would go with Algebra 1/2 especially since your instinct tells you she needs more time before Algebra.

Algebra 1.2 is a much more fun and interesting book that 8/7.  It's less time consuming and has more critical thinking and less boring review.  However, it does have review, just for only 2 months.  That 2 months is critical in cementing her elementary math concepts. 

I would go with Algebra 1/2 especially since your instinct tells you she needs more time before Algebra.

Algebra 1.2 is a much more fun and interesting book that 8/7.  It's less time consuming and has more critical thinking and less boring review.  However, it does have review, just for only 2 months.  That 2 months is critical in cementing her elementary math concepts. 

I'm not ruining her high school years/college years but not having her do Algebra I in 8th grade?!!!   :tongue_smilie:

So would it work to use MM7 (which I own), giving her the test for each chapter, as you suggested, and move through that and then start Algebra I once I think she has a decent grasp on all concepts taught in MM7?

It should. And if it takes her all year, then it would be obvious that she wasn't really ready for algebra.

Foundation in algebra is absolutely critical for future success in high school and college, and will stand her in better stead than by being sent ahead when she's not ready.

• Like 1

Just to reassure you, we did a whole middle school math series in grades 6-8, and my son finished course 3 in like March. He tested out of chapter 1 in algebra 1, and then we have worked through chapters 2-6 since then (taking breaks for camps and such) he will finish Alg. 1 before winter break and then start on geometry. I definitely do not regret doing a thorough coverage of pre algebra. Algebra is going smoothly since it is a small step up from the last book, not a big leap. And since we can move at his pace, he will make up any "lost" time.

• Like 1