Menu

Where do I go for washer/dryer reviews?

I think my washer is dying. It's lived a good life -- it was "born" in 1985.

I'm thinking front loader.

I'm thinking LG or Whirlpool Duet.

Any opinions on these?

Where can I go to read reliable reviews (not hot-headed temper tantrums)?

I know this has been talked to death here (I know I don't want a Neptune), but I don't know if the old problems (smell, moldy seals, etc) have been corrected on newer models.

Thanks for any advice.

I think my washer is dying. It's lived a good life -- it was "born" in 1985.

I'm thinking front loader.

I'm thinking LG or Whirlpool Duet.

Any opinions on these?

Where can I go to read reliable reviews (not hot-headed temper tantrums)?

I know this has been talked to death here (I know I don't want a Neptune), but I don't know if the old problems (smell, moldy seals, etc) have been corrected on newer models.

Thanks for any advice.

consumer report's website but - I think - to get results of the tests you have to become a member.

I have a Frigidaire Front Loader and am very happy with it. My friend has a Whirlpool washer (front loader) & dryer stacked and they look very sleek and have an incredible choice of settings. I think, doing laundry would take me all day by the time I have the correct setting figured out.

We have had to have the gasket that seals the door replaced twice. If anything sharp gets in the wash it shreds the gasket and water leaks all over the floor. We don't know what happened to the first one, but the second one was a pin that my son had on his shirt. I didn't notice it until it was too late.

Right now it is under warrantee but when its not, it will cost $200 to fix. Not to mention the floor gets flooded!

Has anyone else had this problem?

I think one of the best websites to check is the GardenWeb Laundry Forum. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and use their search engine to look for posts on LG and Whirlpool Duet. I like the GardenWeb forums because the information comes from people who have actually used the products. Some of the posters have done a lot of research and are very knowledgeable too.

Consumer Reports is a great source of info for appliances. It's worth the price for that. You can subscribe online by the month or year, then you get the latest reviews.

We just bought an LG front-loader. I started using it at the beginning of January. Love, love, love it. Oh, and did I mention that I love it?!! :p I'm still waiting to see what impact it will have on our water usage, but I know I'll never go back to a top-loading washer.

We have had to have the gasket that seals the door replaced twice. If anything sharp gets in the wash it shreds the gasket and water leaks all over the floor. We don't know what happened to the first one, but the second one was a pin that my son had on his shirt. I didn't notice it until it was too late.

Right now it is under warrantee but when its not, it will cost $200 to fix. Not to mention the floor gets flooded!

Has anyone else had this problem?

nails in the washer drum, they have never shredded the door seal - thank God. I need to be more diligent in checking pockets. We have washed everything from nails to driver's licenses...:(

Both the LG and Duets are very good and will work fine for you. Do you anticipate any issues with vibration? Mine are on a 2nd floor, so I was told to skip the LG's. The LG's have had a few issues with people upset about lack of service or parts. The Duets are a bear to service (the way the wiring is done) and you're going to want the extended warranty. I also looked at the Bosch, spent tons of time on Gardenweb, worried and sweated. Just go for one of them, the LG or Duets. Flip a coin, chose on color. I was concerned about the vibration on the LG, but I like the coin catch on it. The Duets are amazing too. Either way you're going to be FINE, honest. If you like the color, chose based on that. You'll love either one!

Oh, and for detergent, I finally got the Charlie's powder that people here had recommended. I wanted unfragranced and powder is supposed to be the magic cure-all for mold and eliminating biofilm.

The machines are great entertainment on a Friday night, so prepare to set up chairs! :)

Thanks Elizabeth, for the pat on the head. I'm going to be okay, huh? I've never bought a washer or dryer before. My dh had this set before we met. (That was one of the things that sold me on him -- he had his own matching set of heavy duty washer and dryer! I didn't look ahead to what I would feel like after looking at them for 18 years!) :) Anyway, I love the red LGs, but my old Whirlpools have been hearty companions all these years.

It's good to have your vote of confidence. I think I'll look more closely at the extended warranties and service departments of the dealers. Thanks again.

Suzanne, I forgot to mention, I decided to go with the Duets because my preferred local appliance repair guy will service them once the warranty runs out. Buying from Lowe's I got stuck with them using the same service as Sears (not fast or of a good reputation), but at least it's not from another city. I would have had to use a totally out of town service to get repair on the LG's. So ask the dealers where your service will come from. It really is splitting hairs like that though, as they're both good. If your floor is 2nd floor (not concrete), go with the Duets. I wasted WAY more time worrying about this than I should have. The Consumer Reports thing left me thinking there was something wrong with them, that they were rough or something, but there's nothing wrong with them. You'll love whatever you chose! :)