Menu

What's with the ads?

Paradox5

Cloth Diaper Detergent

I am going nuts trying to pick one.

I have the silly expensive list from the diaper site I want to buy {Thirsties AIO microfiber}. http://www.thirstiesbaby.com/customer-center/cloth-diaper-care

I have poured over Fluff Love University's list. They say all but one of those on Thirsties list actually works and its crazy $$$ for us.

This is what I need:

A free and clear, no optical brighteners {and the rest of their 'no' list stuff}, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, easy to find brand that I can use for everyone's laundry, too. I have a front loader Samsung HE machine {only a year old} that seems to only do pods well. The little bins where soap would normally go 90% of the time still have water in them when I check. I have never used anything but pods. Oh, and we have hard water.

If I cannot find a reasonable solution, I'm going to have to give up! The idea is cloth saves you money, right?

Please help!

Edited by Paradox5

Tide Free

Kirkland Free

Kirkland Environmentally Friendly

• Like 1

If it makes you feel any better, I never even gave thought to the idea of buying a special or different detergent when I was cloth diapering. I used the same stuff I already used on the rest of my laundry. I tend to buy the "natural" stuff, because I buy only products that are cruelty free (do not contain animal ingredients and aren't tested on animals), but that and price are my only criteria for such purchases.

My inexpensive cloth diapers looked and smelled clean and held up long enough to be used by two kids. The only times either of my kids had diaper rash or any similar issues were when we used disposables because we were away from home for an extended time.

So, I am unconvinced that the brand of detergent actually makes a huge difference.

• Like 2

I cloth diapered 5 kids.....we used microfiber with the first four kids and organic bamboo with the last.  Use Tide Free pods.  Once or twice a year, run your diapers through a hot cycle, no soap, double rinse. If you see bubbles in the rinse cycle, repeat. 

• Like 1

I don't know anything about pods. I used All Free and Clear or my store brand Free and Clear (Publix).

You don't need special detergent. Just use whatever works on your clothes. I've cloth diapered 3 kids. I promise.

Edited to add: Diapers are just REALLY dirty clothes. Think how you would wash a shirt that got poop on it, and do that. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

I used cloth from 2010(ish) to last year, only used Tide. Any other detergent I tried, including the free sample sent with a newly purchased set of dipes just didn't clean well enough. They would look clean, but stink as soon as a kid peed in it. So, even now that we are done with dipes, Tide for us.

• Like 2

I used All free and clear as well. My cloth diapers didn't hold up as well as people bragged that they would, but I don't know if that was the detergent or my method or that nothing is ever as good as people say it is. ;)

We used Charlies Soap.  They've started carrying it at B&M stores (you can check their websites for which ones) but it's cheap, gets the diapers clean, and we could use it for everyone's laundry.  That last was important because my oldest can't tolerate most detergents.  Charlies, All F&C, and an off brand (also F&C) are about it.

• Like 1

You don't need special detergent. Just use whatever works on your clothes. I've cloth diapered 3 kids. I promise.

Edited to add: Diapers are just REALLY dirty clothes. Think how you would wash a shirt that got poop on it, and do that. 

Except that clothes are much thinner and easier to rinse thoroughly.  Additives easily build up in the thick, absorbent diaper layers and cause problems.  Some detergents even have a "touch of Downy", and introducing even a touch of waxy, greasy fabric softener into the cloth diaper mix is a bad idea.

I've had good luck with various cheap, generic, free and clear detergents.  Plus, as prairiewindmomma mentioned, occasional extra-thorough rinses with hot water, no soap and some white vinegar in the rinse to help strip out any build up.

Wendy

• Like 1

I've used Charlie's and CountrySave. Right now I'm using Persil. Just use less than you think you need and check the final rinse cycle for suds.

I've used Charlie's and CountrySave. Right now I'm using Persil. Just use less than you think you need and check the final rinse cycle for suds.

Yes, leftover soap can really irritate sensitive bottoms.

I cloth diapered for years and had issues with all of the natural detergents. I grabbed Tide Original powder, and voila! All diaper funk and issues were over. 

Edited by NoseInABook
  • Like 3

I'm going to have to echo that I really, really tried to use eco-friendly detergent but it just isn't powerful enough. At the recommendation of Fluff Love University, I doubled the dosage used in each load ($$$) and that helped some, but not entirely. I finally made the switch to original Tide and BOOM, I had zero problems with smell or stains.

You don't get build-up with regular detergent, so long as you choose one without an added softener.

Except that clothes are much thinner and easier to rinse thoroughly.  Additives easily build up in the thick, absorbent diaper layers and cause problems.  Some detergents even have a "touch of Downy", and introducing even a touch of waxy, greasy fabric softener into the cloth diaper mix is a bad idea.

I've had good luck with various cheap, generic, free and clear detergents.  Plus, as prairiewindmomma mentioned, occasional extra-thorough rinses with hot water, no soap and some white vinegar in the rinse to help strip out any build up.

Wendy

Ok, true, I wasn't thinking of softeners and such. I don't buy detergents with that in it because I don't want that stuff on my towels or dishtowels, for the same reason, it repels water. 

And I do an extra rinse, to be sure the detergent is out. But I use real detergent, whatever works best with the water and machine you have. (but no softeners and such)

I found Tide worked better than most thinks, All was probably second best. 

My best friend (the one who got me into cloth diapers) has really, really, really hard water. She only ever used CountrySave. She ordered it through Amazon by the case to save on shipping.

I have used all the fancy, 'cloth-diaper specific' detergents (I owned a small cloth diaper store for a few years - I tried them all) and I settled on the giant tub of powdered Arm & Hammer detergent you can get from the local club store (that would be BJs here). I use it for everything, diapers and clothes.

In a pinch, you can just wash with a squirt or two of the original blue Dawn dishsoap, with extra rinses to get rid of the suds.

Good luck!

Edited to add: My cloth diaper stash doesn't have any microfiber; it's all cotton & PUL. My mama cloth does have microfiber in it - if it starts to get a little stinky, I just throw a splash of bleach into the next load of wash. YMMV.

Edited by Noreen Claire

I've always read that you should never use dish soap in your washing machine because it creates a lot of suds, doesn't actually do much in the way of cleaning (you'd have to use a lot more than people use to get diapers clean), and the de-greasing properties of dish soap can potentially wear down your washer because it can erode the oiled mechanics inside the drum.

• Like 2

Another vote for Charlie's soap. I used it while cloth diapering 2 kids. It works, and it's really affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If it makes you feel any better, I never even gave thought to the idea of buying a special or different detergent when I was cloth diapering. I used the same stuff I already used on the rest of my laundry. I tend to buy the "natural" stuff, because I buy only products that are cruelty free (do not contain animal ingredients and aren't tested on animals), but that and price are my only criteria for such purchases.

My inexpensive cloth diapers looked and smelled clean and held up long enough to be used by two kids. The only times either of my kids had diaper rash or any similar issues were when we used disposables because we were away from home for an extended time.

So, I am unconvinced that the brand of detergent actually makes a huge difference.

This.

I think I used the baby detergent when they were newborns and then switched. I also threw in some Borax:

https://www.amazon.com/20-Mule-Team-Laundry-Booster/dp/B003Y5AQGQ/ref=pd_lpo_121_tr_t_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VF168H1Z821WKMSCG3WN

That's all.

I have used Country Save for years. I've never had any problems, but I use prefolds which I think wash up easier than some diapers. I also put a few drops of TTO in the wash.

I have always used Amway's laundry products, on diapers and everything else. Although you have to buy it from someone rather than going into your local grocery store, it fits all your other criteria.

I used powdered tide in my HE washer, it worked great and is still my go to solution for DH's yucky work clothes.

Tide.  It was the only thing that really worked for cloth diapers.  Everything else - and I tried nearly everything available - had issues with stinkiness.  I was ready to switch back to disposables until I started using Tide and ta-da!  No more stinkies, no rashes, no build-up or repelling.  

Do the optical brightners in Tide cause repelling? 

We have used Tide Free and Clear for years. I switched to normal Tide pods because the F&C was making the clothes smell funky. 

Thank you Hive!

Do the optical brightners in Tide cause repelling? 

We have used Tide Free and Clear for years. I switched to normal Tide pods because the F&C was making the clothes smell funky. 

Thank you Hive!

Not that I ever experienced. Now, I used mostly cotton diapers...prefolds and fitted, but lots of people use Tide on microfiber too. 

For a F&C on Pockets I used All Free and Clear powder and it does not have optical brightners. Also Arm and Hammer sensitive skin is recommended on Fluff love. They are usually really inexpensive. Also Tide Free and Gentle is as well. That should be fairly easy to find.

• Like 1