Menu

Third Grade Cursive

I am going to start my daughter on cursive this year. She is a rising 3rd grader. I have looked at HWT and LOE Rhythm of Hand Writing. Has anyone used both of either of these? Which did you have more success with? 

She is a bit of a reluctant writer but interested in cursive (I think just because it's something new). 

I looked at hWT but I do not like the appearance of the cursive, and how you have to use their special paper, which is not like traditional handwriting paper and makes other workbooks with preprinted lines difficult. I use rhythm of handwriting and it's worked well for us.

I've used both. I didn't care for the look of HWT when my oldest used it and I'm not sure she thought it was that great either. I started my youngest with LOE Rhythm... and it's much prettier. I don't think one is harder or easier than the other. Pick whichever you like and be consistent.

ETA: My oldest has changed over to a more traditional style and really prefers it.

Edited by ZaraBellesMom

I haven't use those books you mention, but I do use A reason for Handwriting for my girls, mainly because my oldest liked the look of cursive in that book. 

A new copy of the cursive book has just arrived today, so I will begin that with my 7 year old. 

Some letters are a little different and often illegible, so after practicing writing in cursive, I allow my girls to choose their own way to write those particular letters.

My upcoming 3rd grader has used HWT since learning to print and will continue next year with the cursive book. We've never bought any special paper or anything other than the workbooks ... I just explain that they want you to get used to using different types of lines to form the letters, and it's never been a problem. And when we come to a letter we don't like the look of, we just change it so we do. None of my kids have ever stuck with the "form" they learned originally once they get going with cursive anyway. :)

I don't have any experience with Rhythms, but HWT for us has been easy peasy.

• Like 2

My 2nd grader did HWT cursive and it was easy to learn. By the end of the book, though, we both concluded that we didn't love the look of the letters, so we switched her to Pentime 3. It's a nice hand and a straightforward workbook. It's going smoothly and her writing looks great.

Both of my older children have learned with HWT. It's easy and they like it and it gets done with no complaints. Once they got comfortable they made their own adjustments and so neither script looks exactly like the HWT font anymore. It was just a great jumping off point. My son started at 7 and my daughter started at 5 and they both write primarily in cursive now.