Menu

What Grade Is Beast Academy 3 for?

JennSnow

We switched over to BA 3A while ds was in the middle of SM 3A. It was a good transition. They need to have addition and subtraction down well. Multiplication is introduced first through skip counting in BA 3A, but it's definitely challenging. You have to spend some time thinking through problems. We had already done some basic multiplication and division in SM 2B, which probably made the transition easier.

Thanks :). So a good benchmark for beginning BA3 would be that they have mastered addition and subtraction?

Here is the placement test for 3A: https://www.beastacademy.com/store/products/3A/assessments/Pre.pdf

In addition to the math readiness, I think this program works best for kids who enjoy (or don't mind) puzzling through their math. Some of the approach requires some out-of-the-math-box thinking.

• Like 1

Here is the placement test for 3A: https://www.beastacademy.com/store/products/3A/assessments/Pre.pdf

In addition to the math readiness, I think this program works best for kids who enjoy (or don't mind) puzzling through their math. Some of the approach requires some out-of-the-math-box thinking.

:iagree:  And look at the answers to the placement test. It will give you a very good idea of how BA approaches math. The answer keys in the back of the workbooks look exactly the same.I love their thorough explanations, because if there were two ways to solve a problem, they give you both, and you can give the alternate method to dc. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using it a grade behind, as Summer review. It's tough!!! My son isn't one who likes challenges, so I end up working him through the starred problems (those are harder than the rest). He loves the comic book feel, though. He knows how to do everything it's covered so far, but it's presented in such a different way that it really makes him think about things. MY SON would not have been able to handle this at the beginning of third grade. But you know your child best. It's not so much the math that's challenging....but the way it's presented, and the connections the child is expected to make.