Menu

Advertising jingles indelibly imprinted into your brain

mellifera33

I have lived on the west coast for more than fifteen years, but every time I talk to one of my midwest friends and they mention a particular hardware store, the jingle runs through my mind on repeat for the next day or so.  Whoever wrote the little "Save big money at Menards!" bit was an evil genius. 

Do you have a jingle that takes over your brain? 

• Like 3

I have lived on the west coast for more than fifteen years, but every time I talk to one of my midwest friends and they mention a particular hardware store, the jingle runs through my mind on repeat for the next day or so. Whoever wrote the little "Save big money at Menards!" bit was an evil genius.

Do you have a jingle that takes over your brain?

As soon as I read "midwest hardware store", that jingle immediately popped into my head. I kept reading your post, and sure enough that's what you were talking about! LOL

So many.

Pop pop, fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is!  (dating myself here)

Two all beef patties, special sauce.....(long ago)

Yes, Menard's

My bologna has a first name...it's O-S-C-A-R, my bologna has a second name, it's M-E-Y-E-R....

Rice-a-roni, the San Francisco Treat!

Reach out and touch someone (AT&T)

The best part of waking up is Folger's in your cup.

Goodness, I'm old. 

• Like 18

In more recent times... That Luna one with their phone number. Do you know, I don't even know what the heck Luna sells. Mattresses? Floors? Cabinets? Ugh. But I can call them if I need to.

Yeah, that.

We have someone around here who co-opted the Tommy Tutone song 867-5309 with our area code.

No idea what they sell, but everyone remembers their number. 

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 3

We are Farmers

And

Nationwide is on your side.

And

Like a good neighbor State Farm is there

My tween DD and her BFF both sing those every time they see an office. They're probably a decade out from actually needing to independently buy insurance....

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 6

I am stuck on Band-aid brand 'cause Band-aid's stuck on me!

Oh please, make some Kraft Macaroni and Cheese!

I'd like to teach the world to sing . . .

The Exchange goes down, down, down and round, round, round in your tum, tum, tum. Makes your mind think yum, yum, yum, that orangeade called Exchange. (a local Hawaiian orange drink--not sure I got all the words right. I mean, it was probably 40 years ago! )

• Like 3

I don't even live in Arizona anymore, but thanks to an ad jingle [i guess it's one lol] I know I have a friend in the diamond business at Shane Co on Scottsdale Road and Acoma, one mile South of Bell Road open weekdays til 8, sat & sun til 5, online at [website lol]

• Like 4

So many.

Pop pop, fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is!  (dating myself here)

Two all beef patties, special sauce.....(long ago)

Yes, Menard's

My bologna has a first name...it's O-S-C-A-R, my bologna has a second name, it's M-E-Y-E-R....

Rice-a-roni, the San Francisco Treat!

Reach out and touch someone (AT&T)

The best part of waking up is Folger's in your cup.

Goodness, I'm old. 

We're not old! We're just seasoned. :)

I'd like to add:

I'd like to teach the world to sing, 

In perfect har-mo-ny,

I'd like to buy the world a Coke

And keep it company.....It's the real thing! 

Oh and then the commercial with the hijacked Johnny Cash song: I've Been Everywhere Man.

I have no idea what they were selling, but I now know every word to that song. 

You're welcome. 

(Kid writting the letter)

Hello Mother, hello Father.

Greetings from camp, Hiawatha.

Swiming's cool here, but this place is...

Not like home I miss my nice fresh pillow cases.

(Mother writtng back)

You miss Downy, it's so pleasin'

April freshness, that's one reason.

Downy softness, that's another

Downy's freshness makes a difference love your Mother.

• Like 11

I don't even live in Arizona anymore, but thanks to an ad jingle [i guess it's one lol] I know I have a friend in the diamond business at Shane Co on Scottsdale Road and Acoma, one mile South of Bell Road open weekdays til 8, sat & sun til 5, online at [website lol]

I'm laughing hysterically at this 😀

• Like 2

Everybody loves Marineland!

I lived in Ontario for two years and this ad played constantly. I've never been to Marineland, don't like the concept of marine mammal zoos, and haven't lived in Ontario for almost 20 years, but I can sing the whole song.

And now it is stuck in my head.

ETA:

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 2

I forgot to mention that when I first saw the title the word "indelibly" reminded me of The Incredible Edible Egg! That one's so old--back when *everyone* thought eggs were good for you. lol.

And that cheese commercial:

Edited by Cinder
  • Like 2

How many licks does it take to get to the middle of a tootsie pop?

Sorry Charlie...

Definitely the Oscar Mayer Bologna one (how else did I learn to spell it correctly)  LOL

Life cereal, Give it to Mikey...

These things worked, why don't they bring some of them back?  Our generation would love it. 

Edited by Lucidity
  • Like 4

Oh, I love these... lol.   I remember most of those.

Not a song - but the words to an ad:

"How do you get your clothes so clean Mr. Lee?"   "Ancient Chinese Secret" (in another room) "My husband... some hotshot.  Here's his ancient Chinese secret.  New and improved Calgon.  Calgon's 2 water softeners soften water so detergents clean better" (calling to the other room) "We need more Calgon!" "Ancient Chinese Secret, huh?"

The phone number from "Chicken on the Way" (this would have been a local business)  - song...  (spoken) 478-sixty six, sixty 1, (sung) 478-sixty six, sixty 1, 478-sixty six, sixty 1, 478-sixty six, sixty 1 (broken in) Cut Cut Cut You're ruining the take!   [This was from the 70's   so very effective for getting the phone number memorized!]

I'm a pepper, you're a pepper, he's a pepper, she's a pepper, wouldn't you like to be a pepper too! Be a pepper, drink Dr. Pepper....

• Like 6

My bologna has a first name it's o-s-c-a-r......

I drink Dr pepper and I'm proud. I'm part of that original crowd....

who remembers this coke commercial......"I'd like to buy the world a home(?) And furnish it with love...grow apple trees, honey bees and snow white turtle(?) Doves..."

Plop plop fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is..

Yeah I'm that old who else remembers. "You asked for it, you got it Toyota"

Edited by lynn
  • Like 3

Not a song, but every time someone says "bacon" in our house someone always starts in "Bacon! Bacon,bacon,bacon, what's it say I can't read!  Bacon"  From a dog treat commercial.

Anytime someone mentions the words grow up or grown up, "I don't want to grow up, I'm a toys r us kid"  which is funny, because my kids have never heard the jingle, they just sing it because my husband and I do.

Also:

Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar, 2 all beef patties, snack, crackle pop rice crispies, and pink hearts, orange stars, yellow moons, green clovers, blue diamonds and purple horse shoes

Edited by saraha
  • Like 2

As soon as I read "midwest hardware store", that jingle immediately popped into my head. I kept reading your post, and sure enough that's what you were talking about! LOL

Ha! It popped in my head based on the thread title alone.

Whenever dh comes home from there I always ask him very seriously " did you save big money?"

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 2

My brother and I sang along to every word of this local commercial. 

Spoken: "Here's Cal Worthington and his dog Spot!"

Sung:

"If you need a better car, go see Cal.

For the best deal by far, go see Cal.

If you want your payments low, if you want to save some dough,

Go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal."

There were a lot of verses to that song.  Our favourite was the one that ended with Cal saying "I'll stand on my head/ Til my ears turn red! Go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal!"

Spot was always in the commercial with Cal Worthington and Spot was never a dog.  Tiger, hippo, elephant, horse.....but never a dog.

My parents hated hated hated those commercials.  Ironically, my brother's first car came from Cal Worthington.

• Like 5

Does anyone in Houston or surrounding area remember from the 80's-

Thunderbolt- we put the yee-haw back in your motor and transmission.

Sung:

There were a lot of verses to that song. Our favourite was the one that ended with Cal saying "I'll stand on my head/ Til my ears turn red! Go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal!"

Spot was always in the commercial with Cal Worthington and Spot was never a dog. Tiger, hippo, elephant, horse.....but never a dog.

My parents hated hated hated those commercials. Ironically, my brother's first car came from Cal Worthington.

I DEFINITELY remember Cal Worthington and Spot!!!! :)

Meow meow meow meow

Meow meow meow meow

Meow meow meow meow MEOW meow meow meow

MEOW meow meow meow MEOW meow meow meow 

Meow meow meow meow MEOW meow meow meow

"Meow mix. Cats ask for it by name!"

• Like 17

An advert in Britain for milk in the 80s (all said with a scouser accent):

"milk, ugh"

"it's what ian rush drinks. Ian Rush says that if I don't drink milk, I won't even be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley!"

"Accrington Stanley, who are they?"

"Exactly"

"Gimme some"...."Nah, get off"

It's so good I'm gonna link it!  

Also:

"If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit join our club"

Edited by EmmaNZ
  • Like 1

Although I wasn't there for it the first time around, I was really impressed with Coca-Cola's "Swing the Jingle" radio advertising campaign. They came up with a jingle song ("Things Go Better With Coca-Cola") and then took popular acts and had them do their own unique covers of it. Someone on YouTube collected a bunch of them together.

Jan & Dean's surf version is pretty catchy:

Edited by Anacharsis
  • Like 2

The first ones that popped in my head:

From my childhood: "588-2300 Empiiiire" (carpet company)

Recently: "Chicken parm you taste so good" (Nationwide commercial where Peyton Manning sings about everyday happenings to the tune of the Nationwide jingle)

• Like 6

So, it's not exactly advertising, but on Nickelodeon when I was a kid, the host was like, a popsicle stick with a face drawn on. And the jingle for writing him/entering contests, etc, was (set to a song)

Write to me! Stick Stickly! 

PO Box 963,

New York City, New York State, 

10108!

I have a VERY bad memory, so the fact that I can remember this jingle really perplexes me.

ETA: I just looked up Stick Stickly and it looks like he's returned to Nick in several incarnations over the years - including last year. Weird!

Edited by Sk8ermaiden
  • Like 1

Sung:

There were a lot of verses to that song.  Our favourite was the one that ended with Cal saying "I'll stand on my head/ Til my ears turn red! Go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal!"

Spot was always in the commercial with Cal Worthington and Spot was never a dog.  Tiger, hippo, elephant, horse.....but never a dog.

My parents hated hated hated those commercials.  Ironically, my brother's first car came from Cal Worthington.

Oh man, that WAS out of my head......it is now back.  I remember those!

• Like 2