Menu

What are your favorite Costco buys?

Pistachios,  when we can afford them.  :-)      Nuts of all kinds, really.

Feta cheese.  In the summer, we eat a ton of it (not in the winter so  much, weird).

Sometimes they have this jalapeno Greek yogurt dip.  We get that when we see it.  It is particularly good with Pretzel crisps. 

Not as much fun, but  batteries. So much cheaper than anywhere else.

Jack's Salsa, Wholly Guacomole, Udi's Bread, organic chicken breasts, grass fed beef, if we can swing it - I love to get their beef tenderloin and cut up to grill, tp, paper towels, milk, Oj, Greek yogurt, good cheeses, rotisserie chicken.

What ISN'T on my list for Costco buys?

We do 90% of our shopping there, although mostly groceries.

Any over the counter medication that they have, we get.  It is much cheaper.

Paper towels, toilet paper, tissues, all Kirkland brands

Laudry soap, Kirkland, is rated only 2nd to Tide.  And it works as well, and is half the cost, and I use half of that, so it is 75% less than Tide.  

Finish tablets, much cheaper.

Kirkland brand coffee beans, roasted by Starbucks.  

Kirkland frozen pizza doesn't have the preservatives and fillers.  

Cheese

no nitrate lunch meat

Dave's Killer bread

And all of our regular buys.  Really, we buy almost everything there, well, everything we can buy there.

• Like 3

Stuff I pretty much only get at Costco:

Coffee beans/filters

Frozen blueberries, cherries, strawberries

Toasted Ravioli (St. Louis only thing, maybe?), Vinegar and Baking Soda

Strawberry Jelly

Maple Syrup

Spices/salt

Famous Dave's spicy pickles

Einstein's bagels

Scotch tape

Heavy duty aluminum foil and Parchment paper

Laundry soap

Kitchen trash bags

Shampoo/conditioner/bar soap

Contact lens solution

Craisins (great deal when on sale!)

Ramen

Stuff I always want but try to avoid:

Danish. Oh how I love the cheese Danish.

Apple streusel muffins

Ice cream (I split it with my mom, it's just too much)

Cheesecake (see a theme here?)

ETA: forgot the vanilla, flour, and baking powder. My pancakes reminded me.

ETA again: I buy the chicken flavor Better than Bouillon there as well instead of containers of broth or stock.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 1

Johnsonville Brats

Sliced Finlandia cheese

guacamole 100 calorie packs

Starbucks VIA for husband

bacon bits

naan (we use them for 'tiny pizza night')

Watts Brothers organic sweet peas (until they were on the recalled list  :glare: )

Vinegar (we use it as fabric softener and descaling the coffee maker)

Oxyclean & Clorox color safe (BUT only when they're on sale!! )

Unfortunately our Costco's fruits & veggies are so picked over and seem to age quickly after purchase, very few organic selections too.  We don't buy FFV there :(  

Besides the toilet paper and other common things, we LOVE their Jaarlsburg and Gouda cheeses.  My husband likes their pita chips, and various other snacky crackers.  My children love their Madras Lentils - that's their Tuesday lunch every week.  And we get tons of produce every time we go.  We'd shop at Costco more, but it's a 70 minute drive each way.  When we can time it right (and have room in the van), sometimes we stop at a different one on the way home from a weekend at the grandparents.  That one has covered parking - oh, the luxury in the winter!

I wish we had a Costco near us. We have Sam's, which is ok, but I'm really hoping for a Costco someday!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Eneloop batteries, windshield wipers, frozen berries, boneless skinless chicken thighs, dry cat food, butter, feta, cheddar & jack cheeses, Stretch Tite, paper products, Oxyclean, toothpaste, K. cooking spray, Duke's mayo, K. choc chips, fresh blueberries, feta, paper drink napkins (bar napkins - smaller and cheaper than the regular kind), Craisins, vanilla

We used to buy more, but Aldi has earned top billing on our shopping list.

• Like 1

southcenter (it has a business center too.) FINALLY got in whole copper river sockeye.  everywhere else has only had overpriced filets.

we usually will also get a roasted chicken.   I like to make chicken salad, though I keep having an hankering for white chicken chile.

I recently discovered the Kirkland hair conditioner.  I plan to buy the matching shampoo at some point, but I needed conditioner and didn't want to make a separate stop... Holy cow, it's as good on my hair as the Nexxus brand that I never buy anymore because who can afford $28 for a bottle of hair conditioner?  

Izze by the case sold in the perfect portion size for kids and NOT in glass bottles.

Watermelon has been really good this week.  We've bought two on two different occasions.  

Their tortilla strips and animal crackers for snackies.

• Like 1

I wish we had a Costco near us. We have Sam's, which is ok, but I'm really hoping for a Costco someday!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sam's Club (at least for me) has MUCH better produce.  I've been shopping at both, trying to choose just one store because I don't want to carry two memberships.  I keep leaning toward Costco being the better of the two, but the produce at my Costco generally is not good.  In the winter months when I don't have a garden, Sam's Club produce is the bomb.  So for now I keep two memberships.

Edited by Lady Marmalade
  • Like 1

Check out the pharmacy, especially for anything not covered by insurance like pet meds. My cat recently needed a generic antiviral (a human med and not a usual pet med). There were only two places I found what I needed--Walgreens and Costco. For the exact same prescription Walgreens wanted $250, Costco was $25. You also don't have to have a membership to use their pharmacy. I believe they also carry the usual things like heartworm and flea meds.

• Like 1

My favorite is everything.

Staples:

4lb bag of baking soda

Paper/plastic goods (I can usually get a better deal when on sale at the supermarket but sometimes I am willing to pay for the convenience factor)

Rotisserie chicken

Assorted cheeses/deli meats

Assorted frozen vegetables when I have room in the freezer.

Chocolate covered raisins

When in the budget:

Grass fed beef

Assorted prepared foods

I find I can get a better deal on toilet paper/paper towels at the supermarket when they have a good sale.

Things I don't get anywhere else:

pesto

chicken

croissants

chocolate chips

salt

canned tomatoes, canned beans

Food Should Taste Good chips (weirdest brand name ever)

lettuce

baby cucumbers

tissues

avocados

frozen dumplings

I get other stuff... but those things I never buy anywhere else.

I have a tear-off pad that I made with a Costco grocery list of the things we buy often--it also has blank lines to write in things I need that are more occasional purchases. So, things I buy almost every time are:

almonds

string cheese

low sodium bacon

Jimmy Dean's turkey sausage links

12 pack single serve guacamole containers (these keep fine in the freezer--I transfer three or four to the fridge at a time).

chicken breasts

flank steak

tri-tip steaks

pork tenderloin

grass-fed hamburger

grilled chicken taquitos--one dd's favorite snack

Other things I like but I don't need them every month (I'll always buy if there is a coupon):

dh's contact lens solution

shampoo/conditioner

Aveeno body lotion

some of the vitamins--calcium, kids' multi, PowerC

generic zyrtec--a once a year purchase but the savings would cover the cost of membership!

Tide HE powder

Finish dishwashing tabs

kleenex

sometimes fruit snacks or granola bars in our really crazy, busy months

I love the Virginia peanuts but 1 can lasts many months here

popcorn

goldfish crackers (though we may finally be aging out of needing the Costco-sized box)

vanilla and cinnamon (another once a year purchase, but they're on my list for the next trip)

sometimes sugar or brown sugar if I'm canning or baking Christmas cookies and need a lot

fudgsicles or popsicles or skinny cows. Right now it's the organic juice push-up popsicle things.

frozen strawberries for smoothies

Parmesan cheese

mini-Naan

Those torta rolls mentioned above--they're awesome for a last minute dinner side dish. Slice in half, toast, add butter and garlic salt for garlic French bread!

the mini french bread (6 packs in bakery section). One is the right amount of bread for a family dinner here.

There's always something else that catches the eye--that's the danger (and fun) of Costco! We don't have one in town, so we only go every 4-6 weeks and it's always a bit of treat (lunch out!) when we do go.

We can't do much regular shopping there because we lack adequate storage space, but I do have a few favorites.

cheese, especially Dubliner (Dh's favorite)

Kerrygold butter

crackers - big blue box with Toasteds and some other varieties

wild salmon, when they have it

Madras Lentils - prepared food with all real ingredients. A quick, fast lunch!

pesto

flank steak

occasionally pork tenderloin, lamb roast, beef roast or tenderloin (holiday meals)

occasionally - birthday cake! Their carrot cake is very good. 

Kirkland chocolate chips

Kirkland coffee

organic eggs(6.49 /2 dzn) when I can't buy them from friends

Kale salad

raw tortillas-found in the dairy-you just cook them quick-YUMMY!

popcorn

Kirkland shampoo/conditioner

Vanilla Icecream-the best

butter

plain yogurt

laundry detergent

That chocolate cake!!!

LOL.  That cake has become my daughter's birthday tradition.  The kids always asked for that cake, but we never bought it - it's just too big.  But one year we got it for my daughter's birthday.  Oh man is that good!  And, it freezes so well.  After the birthday I cut it into chunks the size of reasonable servings for the four of us.  Wrap in plastic wrap, then foil, and freeze... and then we have cake when we need it for a few months.

LOL. That cake has become my daughter's birthday tradition. The kids always asked for that cake, but we never bought it - it's just too big. But one year we got it for my daughter's birthday. Oh man is that good! And, it freezes so well. After the birthday I cut it into chunks the size of reasonable servings for the four of us. Wrap in plastic wrap, then foil, and freeze... and then we have cake when we need it for a few months.

What's left to freeze?! ;)

• Like 2

I've never bought the cake, but always think maybe someday if I'm going to a potluck! Because, yeah, way too much cake for us. Once we got lucky and it was the sample! They don't have samples from the bakery often enough...

My kids fell in LOVE with the wild Chilean sea bass sample last week. I thought well that WOULD BE a nice addition to the spaghetti/taco/pot roast rotation until I saw the bag was $40!!! Um nope. It's back to the boring basics kids.

• Like 1

I'm making my list for tomorrow! 

I really like to stock up on t.p. and paper towels.

Also mango salsa. 

We go every weekend.

Charmin Toilet Paper.  Bounty paper towels, Marconi almonds, Some sort of breaded Tilapia that is wonderful (3 meals!), Organic snacks and almond milk, 18 organic eggs, Organic milk, avocados, packaged Organic guacamole.

Edited by TranquilMind

To add to everyone's lists:

Almond flour

Marinated wild salmon fillets (if you have an Instant Pot, 4 minutes!!!)

Clothes! Especially yoga pants and skorts. And shorts for my kids.

Camping food. Especially the precooked bacon.

Tillamook cheese bricks.

Boursin cheese.

Kirkland pulled pork. No added yucky ingredients! (Also amazing in the IP.)

Canned organic diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.

Walnuts and pecans.

Organic olive oil.

Avocado oil.

Kerrygold butter.

Seasonal goodies in the center section.

I live about 20 minutes from the largest Costco in the world and am doing my part to keep them in business. I have 4 teenage boys who are all swimmers so we buy a lot of food from there - my weekly run is about $300. My Costco is always super busy, so there is a lot of turnover on meats and fresh produce. As a result, the quality of those items at Costco is often much higher than at local grocery stores.

In addition to the large quantities of the regular healthy stuff we buy, some other favorites include:

Greek pasta salad made with rotisserie chicken

Norwegian smoked salmon

Flautas

Guacamole single packs

Jalapeño artichoke dip

Most of the above are my favorites - particularly paper goods, batteries, trash bags, canned tomatoes, maple syrup, cheese, frozen burger patties, butter, peanuts, rotisserie chicken, baby romaine lettuce, frozen berries, frozen broccoli, spices, and chicken stock.   DH and DS say the turkey burgers and frozen fish are good.

I have a special love for their chocolate covered almonds.  They are so good.  Most trips I can resist the temptation because I could eat the entire jar in a week or two.  But if you have willpower, they are delicious. 

I was recently out of town and my glasses broke. I drove straight to Costco and they fixed the glass that had popped out for free and then tightened my sunglasses. I told dh later, "Costco is almost parental for me."

When I travel: love their rental car, gas, pizza-take-out and fruit (take back to hotel room) prices.

For everyday: Love their great gas prices and use their eye center every time I need glasses. Thrilled that they now take my vision insurance. I used to have to bill ins. myself.

Food: fruit is excellent esp. strawberries, grapes, blueberries, salsa (not mango, the other), huge bags of flour, ICE drinks (for pool in summer), boxes of ice cream cones/sandwiches etc. (great price on 36-count). Dh buys huge bag of Halloween-like candy to share at work. I also buy fish oil, krill oil, and Lubriderm lotion for me. Also whole wheat bread for me. We also get TP and paper towels.

We always buy large bags of frozen strawberries for smoothies. One son lives what we call "green raviolis" in frozen section.

We also use their dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent and cat litter (heavy, but great price!)

I'm looking into getting their new VISA Costco card. If it comes w/ a yearly fee, I won't do it, but if no fee then I think I will get it. You get cash back.

I just trust Costco which I can't say about anyone else these days. They take items back with no problem at all so I often buy clothes too and try them on at home.

Alley

I'm looking into getting their new VISA Costco card. If it comes w/ a yearly fee, I won't do it, but if no fee then I think I will get it. You get cash back.

We had their Amex for years and now have the VISA. We have no fees.  The cash back is great.   Always so fun to go with that "check" in hand; we always find a little splurge that day with our "free money." 

• Like 1

We buy a lot of the same items mentioned above, though there are a few things I need to try. The one thing I'm most impressed with are the socks I purchased for ds before Christmas. He wears these socks daily and, despite being worn outside periodically, they're still as thick as when I brought them home! No holes! There's no comparison to the Gold Toe socks I'd bought previously.

Oh, they also have great white men's dress shirts - high quality for a really low price.

We also like their towels, both the beach towels and the big bath-sheet sized bathroom towels. We buy all our pillows from Costco, and I've heard really good things about their sheet sets (we don't use flat sheets so I haven't bought any sets).

Today I bought red white and blue tutus for a 4-year-old's birthday party :-)

We like their dried mangos and frozen fruits for smoothies. There are only four of us, so there is a lot of stuff that's just too big for us to use before it goes bad. Their rotisserie chickens are the cheapest in town. In the prepared foods I like the stuffed peppers and the enchilada casserole. I'm always stocked up on their diced tomatoes and canned black beans. I think everything rose I get has been mentioned. I did buy my vitamix there :-)

Eta: The big bag of pretzel chips!

Edited by KungFuPanda

I have to give much love to their tire department. Bought all 4 tires back in 2/15 with the Road Hazard Warranty. I have had them balanced and rotated twice, free of charge.

I had a nail removed and plugged, for free.

The next week I had another nail, in a different tire. The manager said it was too close to the side wall so he gave me a 2 new tires for free because of a cross axle thing? I was in shock when my $458 tires were covered 100% by warranty.

I love Costco.

• Like 3