Menu

CLE or Saxon for math (3rd grade)

My 3rd grader used CLE Math for 1st grade along with Singapore and LOF. For 2nd we used mostly Fred and Singapore. He is slightly advanced in math, catches on to concepts easily and doesn't need a ton of practice usually. For whatever reason I don't want to continue with Singapore. :/ I'm not sure why as I've used it with all of my other children except my oldest (who used Saxon). I had planned to start the 3rd grader in Saxon 5/4 and move slowly. He places comfortably into 5/4.  I suppose I"ll have to give him the placement text for CLE if I go that route. My guess is he'd place somewhere in the middle of 2 but I know their placements tests don't go by Light Unit rather just by level. So we'd have to start at the beginning and move slowly through. 

I like CLE b/c it is workbook form and my son will prefer that. I like Saxon b/c I am familiar with it and it is thorough. However, CLE looks like a workbook version of Saxon. Am I right? Anyway, just second guessing my plans for him now. 

My 3rd grader used CLE Math for 1st grade along with Singapore and LOF. For 2nd we used mostly Fred and Singapore. He is slightly advanced in math, catches on to concepts easily and doesn't need a ton of practice usually. For whatever reason I don't want to continue with Singapore. :/ I'm not sure why as I've used it with all of my other children except my oldest (who used Saxon). I had planned to start the 3rd grader in Saxon 5/4 and move slowly. He places comfortably into 5/4.  I suppose I"ll have to give him the placement text for CLE if I go that route. My guess is he'd place somewhere in the middle of 2 but I know their placements tests don't go by Light Unit rather just by level. So we'd have to start at the beginning and move slowly through. 

I like CLE b/c it is workbook form and my son will prefer that. I like Saxon b/c I am familiar with it and it is thorough. However, CLE looks like a workbook version of Saxon. Am I right? Anyway, just second guessing my plans for him now. 

Thats what I was told here.  That it was basically Saxon in a workbook.  Workbooks work so much better for us.  I would have a lot of struggle if I had them use saxon and have to copy all the problems.  We just started CLE with one child but Im pretty sure we are going to switch everyone this fall.  I really like it thus far.

Saxon and CLE are similar in many respects but they are not the same.  There are several things that are approached either in a different time frame or in a different way.

CLE is a great program.  I love it.  However, I would hesitate to use only CLE if you have a child that catches on to math concepts quickly and doesn't need a ton of practice.  CLE is all about practice.  For some kids that is an absolute necessity and they thrive with CLE.  For others it is a death dirge and kills their love of math.  Of course, that is why Saxon is sometimes a dismal fit.  Lots and lots and lots of practice.

If you are going to look at using CLE with a child like you describe I agree definitely give the placement test since CLE uses a different scope and sequence than a lot of other math programs.  Also, though, I would absolutely be prepared to cut out some of the review from each lesson, maybe even combine two lessons of new material but only do review from one of them and still sometimes cut out specific review problems.  Maybe make an agreement that as long as they can get that type of review problem correct 2 times a week, the other days the review will be cut out.  Make look the next week's lessons over and put a star next to the ones at the beginning of the week that he won't have to do more of if he gets them correct.  If he does well, just cross out review for those problems for the rest of the week.  They will definitely get reviewed again the following week.

I would also try to add in some conceptual math, maybe with Beast Academy or some of the Singapore or Math in Focus specialty math word problem work books.  Do that once or twice a week.

I had forgotten about Beast Academy! This child does catch on quickly (except long division...where we are stuck, lol, but he is young) and is really great with mental math. I am rethinking CLE now after reading how repetitive it is. Saxon is quite the same. Maybe Singapore would actually be a good fit for him after all? Paired with Beast Academy and some LOF? 

Maybe try Beast Academy starting with 3a and see how it goes. You might not need Singapore's full program if he picks up concepts quickly and retains well. Maybe add in some of the Singapore word problem work books if necessary.

If he starts to need more practice then you could still give the placement test for CLE and maybe just purchased a couple of light units to try out out. You wouldn't lose much time or money that way. You could still continue with Beast for the conceptual side of it is a good fit otherwise.