Menu

How to use Paypal to sell curriculum?

Tracy

I think I have my PayPal acct set up to sell my curriculum.  I have linked a credit card and a bank account.  I have listed items I want to sell.  I just have some questions that I can't find answers to on PayPal.

1. When I create an invoice, does that go to the buyer's e-mail address?

2. Does the invoice that the buyer receives have a link to pay using PayPal?

3. What are the fees, if any, for using PayPal?

Thanks, 

• Like 1

Bumping this for you, since nobody responded.  I think you can probably find the answers to your questions on the PayPal web site, if you look again.. Especially the answer to question #3.    If not, send them a message or call them.  I had an issue and I called them and when I got a human on the other end of the phone, I  was amazed at the wonderful customer service I received from them.  GL with your sales!

• Like 1

I think I have my PayPal acct set up to sell my curriculum.  I have linked a credit card and a bank account.  I have listed items I want to sell.  I just have some questions that I can't find answers to on PayPal.

1. When I create an invoice, does that go to the buyer's e-mail address? Yes, what ever email they have given you.

2. Does the invoice that the buyer receives have a link to pay using PayPal? Yes, they get an email notification that has a link to got to paypal and pay.

3. What are the fees, if any, for using PayPal?  Here is the link to the fees.

Thanks, 

• Like 1

Not sure if you are selling on ebay or on a homeschool swap board, but I'm going to speak to homeschool swap boards.  This is my take on it and it's probably more information than you were asking for. :-P

When someone says they want to buy an item,  I ask them how they want to pay and then send the proper address for payment when I hear back from them.  If they pay by PayPal I just have them send payment to my address and I ask them to use the Goods and Services option instead of Friends and Family.  This is because you have seller protection with that whereas you don't  with the Friends and Family option.  To me it's worth the fee to have that extra security just in case something should go wrong (I will say that in 16 years of selling online, I've only had 1 or 2 problems and they were easily solved between me and the buyer/seller). 

After I get the payment in my account (PayPal will let you know when it gets sent),  I send a thank you to the buyer for the payment as soon as possible and let them know about when I'll be shipping the item out.  I also email again after shipping to let them know the item went out and give them a tracking number.  I usually use Media Mail and they now have tracking numbers automatically on that - yay!  About Media Mail shipping, it starts around $2 to $2.50 for a package so be sure to figure that in if you have postage paid pricing.  If you already know all that feel free to ignore. :-)  I also ask them (the buyer) to let me know the item arrived, but a lot of the time that doesn't happen so I'm glad for tracking numbers now.  

To me, communication is key in online selling and I try to follow the transaction from start to finish.  Ebay used to be like that, but it's rare to find those super friendly sellers who let you know everything.  I had one of those sellers recently and I was in heaven.  So nice to see someone still does that!  

I've never sent an invoice - don't know how and it's just easier for simple transactions to just deal with the customer through email. But that's just how I've always done it. I do believe there is a link in the invoice though that takes the buyer to PayPal to pay though.  

I hope that helps.   And good luck with your selling! 

• Like 2

Most transactions I've been a part of, both as buyer and seller, haven't even used invoices. The seller provides the buyer with the email address and the buyer goes to PayPal and pays. Easy.

So how does that work without an invoice?  Do they just give you money, but not for the particular thing they are purchasing?  I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this.  

So how does that work without an invoice?  Do they just give you money, but not for the particular thing they are purchasing?  I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this.  

Usually a buyer will email you to say they are interested in buying a specific item from your ad.  Then when they pay through PayPal, they can put a note as to what the payment is for either in the body or the subject line of the PayPal payment form when they pay you.

It takes a little organization on your part to keep your sales straight. You might want to have a chart with buyer's name, what they bought, the price, and how they paid, when they paid, and when you shipped made up so you can keep track all in one space.  Once you sell a few items (and if you are just starting out, start small otherwise it could be overwhelming really quickly) it will make more sense and you will get the hang of it.  PayPal is so simple for both buyer and seller that it won't take long to see how it works.

Does that help?  

The buyer will contact you first to make sure the item is still available and to ask any questions, so it's not like random, unexpected payments will come your way.

Buyers will usually add a note in the comment section ("For WTM, 3rd edition. Thanks!")

Unless you're trying to sell a huge volume of merchandise at one time, this works well.

As Chocomom said, you'll get the hang of it quickly.

Good luck!

• Like 1