Menu

S/O GED stigma?

Have you had any kids go into the military? I'm just wondering because what you quoted isn't exactly accurate. Now, what I'm about to say isn't saying I'm in favor of GED, but just to clear up a discrepancy based on having 2 sons enter the military within the last two years and recently seeing recruiters because my last two want to enter the military.

There is a percentage that they are to use as a guide but that isn't followed very well by any of the branches. The Airforce is more picky than any of the branches about who they accept. Both of my son's did graduate and get high school diplomas, but the Airforce looks for good grades, good ACT or SAT scores (1 took the SAT & 1took the ACT), and most importantly they look for work experience and extracurricular activities.

They all accept the GED but it helps to show that your student was working and involved in church, sports, or other activities along with the GED. If the student's ACT or SAT scores are good then the GED doesn't bear weight at all on getting in or not.

The recruiters we spoke to told me that if I issue the boys a diploma it would be better than a GED. But, they said that if they decided to get a GED and their test scores were good plus they had work history then that's just as good as a diploma.

Both of my son's had airmen in BMT who got in with just a GED. Another interesting fact too, is that many with a college degree are choosing to go in as enlisted instead of officer because they get money for college and a few other perks that going in as officer they don't receive.

It used to be the case that officers who had been in a scholarship program (ex, ROTC or a service academy) were not eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill.  The Post 9/11 GI Bill has a different eligibility requirement.  A service member is vested based on time on active duty (after 2001).  Under this newer program, even officers who had previous college time paid for may earn additional money for future college time.  (The Post 9/11 GI Bill is also the program that allows service members to transfer eligibility to a spouse or to children while they are on active duty.)

There may be enlistment or reenlistment bonuses for enlisted that don't exist for similar communities in the officer ranks.  This varies greatly by service and community.  (For example, nuclear submariners have gotten bonuses for years that other Navy communities don't.)  This is also something subject to change with little notice.

That is college specific though. If you look at Bard, they have an Early College in the High School program that allows college credit in 11th and 12th to be used towards an Associate's Degree, concurrent with earning a high school degree. And its tuition free. One could use credit by exam plus dual enrollment to satisfy something like 12 of the high school credits and then the rest come from Early College.

What I am wondering...the new Pathways to the Diploma CTech option might be enough for a person with the right test scores and skills to transfer in to high school, then use credit by exam and DE plus local competency exam to earn the basic Regents Diploma with little seat time.

So it's a patchwork of this or that with each component needing to fall into place exactly.  That's not any more appealing than the current options.  Plus he does not want to go to a high school.  And I do not want him going away to a college at 16.  The plan is to have him take the GED at 16 and he'd go locally to the CC for two years then finish off at another school (that would be up to him if he wants to go away somewhere).  And the only DE options are anything I pay for out of my pocket.  The local high school DE stuff is all done at the high school and they barely allow me to take their time with a phone call so no they won't let him participate (which is fine because again he does not want to go to a high school).  I plan to pay for a few courses.  He's signed up for his second course now, but trying to pay for 24 courses (for the 24 credit option) is just way too expensive.  I have 2 kids so I have to think of my second kid as well.  (Not to mention I'm still paying for my education.) 

Interestingly, I was not sold on that idea for quite some time.  It was a local woman who sold me on it.  She had two sons who did that and they ended up doing great going that route (majoring in something similar my kid wants to do).  And I argued with her just like this back and forth for a long time.  People talk about the GED (TASC) being some sort of big deal, but not one employer has ever asked my DH about his high school stuff.  Also, going to a selective school in the stuff that interests my kid has no major distinct advantage.  People going to selective schools and those not are making similar amounts of money and having similar opportunities out in the field. 

Its always a patchwork for kid that is accelerated and not in a district that offers Early College or honors/independent study. The alternative to Regents Exams are written for these kids....use the SAT, SAT Subject Tests, and the AP Exams to earn the max credit by exam, then use an accredited online provider or a college to transfer in max allowed, then use independent study, DE, whatever is locally available to finish. You dont need a Regents Advanced Diploma.....just grab a basic Regents, exit, and move on.

TASC at 16 requires conditional acceptance to post-secondary or military if not enrolled in AHSEP, so likely you will have test scores and portfolio that demomstrate what a Regents Advanced Diploma demonstrates.

Are you sure about the TASC thing?  At the choir one of the ladies there administered them as part of her job.  She said her daughter took it at 16 and then enrolled in a CC.  She never mentioned any provisional anything.  That said, if required I see no reason why he could not get that from the CC. 

If he does Regents he'll have to learn to the test.  Why bother homeschooling?

And, I have absolutely no idea how he'll do on the tests.  I myself did not do well on those tests.  Not saying he'd follow in my footsteps, but I was an excellent student who just did not score well on those tests.  I don't want to count on them.  And for what?  I cannot afford an expensive college.  I do not want to borrow tons of money.  In fact I refuse to borrow tons of money because good grief I don't want to be in debt up to my eyeballs until I die.  I know...scholarships etc...but again, I cannot count on any of it. 

I feel like all of that is just "test you to death".  None of those tests are free. Between the test fees and the test prep....geesh. 

I have not read anything but the OP, but I will say my DH has a GED and got into a selective military service, no problem. He's wicked smart, though. So ymmv, obv

Oh I just read through. Funny it immediately turned to the military, as if that is some kind of bellweather for civvies. hahahaha It's **so** not.

If you're an average person with nothing particularly special to offer and you can't decide between GED and just graduating...just graduate!

If you're exceptional in some way or have something you want to get on with already, and you're inclined to get your GED...go ahead! you'll make it work and balls to anyone who looks down on you for it. That's a bizarre thing to discriminate based on. Lol like high school is sooo enlightening :laugh:  Seriously ppl need to get a grip.

If you think you won't get a job with a ged, you won't. I'm saying your mindset is on one track.

That's fine. It's a sturdy, well-trod path!

For the Regents what would you do about the science Regents.  I know ps around here will not let hs'ers do the science Regents because they will not take the homeschool labs.

I am hoping that the next legislative session will pass the diploma bill.  It passed the Senate but was then referred to committee by the NYS Assembly.  If they can get that passed the whole thing will be a non issue because schools will then be required to recognize homeschool diplomas.

• Like 1

Ime Regents is very basic, except for the Alg. 2 Exam. One homeschools, or takes DE/AP/honors because one is capable of more and desires to learn more. Students here do not test prep for Regents unless they are in a fully included section (those sections are gaming the test by not offering the complete course).

Exams are cheaper than paying for CC. DE at the high school is more expensive here...costs me about $250 per 3 credit course between fee, textbook, and transcript costs, but that varies by district. Bard is offering 2 years of college free at the high schools they partner with, and so does P-Tech.

Cost...have you started investigating? Plenty of ways to get cost down...work @use employee benefits, qualify for scholarships, etc.

Let's just say I'm spread very thin.  VERY THIN.  I really cannot hack spending even one more ounce of energy on this.  I don't want to jump through those hoops.  If my kid does...power to him.  I know he won't though.  He's smart, but rather lazy sometimes.  When he really wants something he'll work for it, but I can't make him want anything or work for anything.

All this stuff I do, I do 100% on my own.  I do everything around here short of earning the money to pay the bills.  Which is not nothing, but I just don't have anything else left IYKWIM.

I do not have a problem with the TASC route. 

For the Regents what would you do about the science Regents.  I know ps around here will not let hs'ers do the science Regents because they will not take the homeschool labs.

I am hoping that the next legislative session will pass the diploma bill.  It passed the Senate but was then referred to committee by the NYS Assembly.  If they can get that passed the whole thing will be a non issue because schools will then be required to recognize homeschool diplomas.

They have to accommodate you per the regs.

1. Section 8.2 of the Rules of the Board of Regents.

The change to Regents Rule section 8.2 pertains to access to Regents examinations.  It was changed to accommodate the alternative in Regents Rule section 3.47(a)(2) that students beyond compulsory school age may demonstrate preliminary education for earning a college degree through having passed and completed all requirements for five specified Regents examinations or approved alternative assessments for these examinations (discussed above).  The change in section 8.2 requires principals of public schools administering Regents examinations to open admission to the Regents examinations to any school district resident who seeks to take such examinations for the purpose of meeting the preliminary education requirement for earning a degree pursuant to Regents Rule section 3.47(a)(2).

http://www.highered.nysed.gov/ocue/ceomemos/05/homeinstruction.htm

Unless there has been some change that is newer than that document.  I'd put up a stink.  But this is just true to form for NY.  They have these convoluted hoops they ask us to jump through and the powers that be have no damn clue about any of it. 

Oh I just read through. Funny it immediately turned to the military, as if that is some kind of bellweather for civvies. hahahaha It's **so** not.

If you're an average person with nothing particularly special to offer and you can't decide between GED and just graduating...just graduate!

If you're exceptional in some way or have something you want to get on with already, and you're inclined to get your GED...go ahead! you'll make it work and balls to anyone who looks down on you for it. That's a bizarre thing to discriminate based on. Lol like high school is sooo enlightening :laugh:  Seriously ppl need to get a grip.

If you think you won't get a job with a ged, you won't. I'm saying your mindset is on one track.

That's fine. It's a sturdy, well-trod path!

Graduating as a homeschooler isn't an option for everyone. 

I agree on the military thing.  The first thing people tell me is oh you can't get into the military.   I don't care. 

My company recently threatened to rescind a job offer to someone who could not provide evidence of graduating high school, despite the fact that he holds a 4-year college degree. Company policy. They will accept hs diploma, homeschool, GED. But nothing meant no job. He had to jump through hoops to get something that satisfied HR. Ridiculous.

Yikes. My husband has run into this problem trying to get a job (Two different places). He has a Master's Degree in Math and two Bachelor's degree. But because he went through the Robinson Center at UW, he doesn't have a high school diploma. And the people talking to him were adamant he HAD to have a HS diploma or they could not even interview him.

I think the reason why the military comes up is because there IS a written policy that can be referred to.  This is a policy that people have worked to alter over the years, pushing to ensure that homeschool diplomas were recognized as diplomas.  So it is a connection that people make easily in their minds.

As to the military taking or not taking the GED, it really is a different situation now for enlistment than it was 20-30 years ago.  When I first joined the military, it was the Cold War and the US was still maintaining a large military force structure.  Right now, we are at a point where overall manning has dropped significantly (Army has about 150k fewer than when I joined.  Navy and Air Force each have about half the personnel they did then.)  The forces have been scrutinizing billet requirements to see what can be gapped or cut entirely.  At the same time, the average education level of the US population has risen.  (By this I mean that a person is more likely to have a high school degree now than in 1960 or 1940.  Similarly, the rates of college completion have risen.)

ETA:  When the military makes policy about accepting enlistees with a GED, they try to base it on an assessment of how prepared that person is to do well in the military and how likely they are to be retained in the military past their first enlistment.  There was at least one study done back when changing the policy for homeschoolers was being reviewed.  It looked at boot camp completion and completion of the first enlistment (ie, didn't receive an early discharge).  This isn't a judgement about any individual.  It is a determination that as a group, GED holders are less prepared and do less well.  

FWIW, a lot of potential enlistees are turned down.  Some for education levels or ASVAB scores.  Some for medical reasons.  Some for an inability to meet the initial physical requirements.  (Medication for things like ADHD and obesity are common grounds for rejection.)

ETA for clarity:  As far as I know, simply having a GED does not disqualify someone from serving in the military.  It may put them into a category in which other documentation of eligibility is required, such as higher ASVAB scores.  Having a GED may mean that waivers for previous drug use or non-minor criminal history will be difficult to obtain.  This will vary by the individual service and by the current manning requirements.  It may also vary depending on where the person is enlisting and how popular the military is in that area.  It might even vary by the time of year or quarter. 

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 1

Ok. I've already said what I know to be true for us as two of my son's enlisted in the Airforce and several friends kids did too. GED DOES NOT MATTER in the military if you have good ACT/SAT scores, worked on top of doing school, and we're active in other things outside of school. Yes, they are a different tier but when it comes down to it, a kid with a GED will not get passed over if their ASVAB scores are good and they see that said kid did have a job (they call employer to get info on what kind of worker they are) and they have demonstrated that they aren't just a high school drop out or unemployed dead beat looking for steady employment with a good paycheck. Recruiters are trained to sniff these people out and recognize when the person applying has just half-a$$ed it thru life (we know a recruiter personally).

My oldest son joined the Airforce DEP at the age of 17 before his senior year started. He already had taken the SAT twice, had a job for the last 2 years, aced the ASVAB (even pointed out that one of their answers was wrong), and was set to graduate high school in December because all he needed was English 4 to graduate. I was sitting right at the desk with him when the recruiter told him that if he were to go get his GED that summer before his senior year started that the recruiter would have him on the list for his job and he could get into BMT before November and start his military career before he was even set to graduate from high school. The recruiter stated to me that though there are "guidelines", each recruit is looked at separately and not judged just based on GED, high school diploma, or some college. It took my son, I, and his dad a week to mull over and pray about whether we should do GED or diploma. We decided diploma because of the stigma of the GED, but it was difficult when ds only had one class left to graduate with honors distinction because he had a 4.0, good SAT scores, and lots of community involvement.

Now, we are faced with a similar situation with our dd. She hasn't finished the work she needs for having high school diploma and wants to do GED. She has a good job and just applied for an assistant manager's position, which doesn't require any schooling. Her bosses have encouraged her to get a GED and just get it over with or go to the local community college and get s few credits under her belt. I would rather she get her diploma even though I am on the fence about how I feel about the GED. She makes a compelling argument for the GED because she has a cousin, who graduated from MIZZOU May 2015 with his BS in Electrical engineering, and he works and makes $64k a year just out of high school. This cousin got his GED early because he was bored in high school. He had great ACT and SAT scores and was manager at the age of 17 where he was working and very involved in his community. He took no cc classes, honors, or AP classes while in high school. Despite only having a GED he got into MIZZOU and got a scholarship and now makes more than his own father ever did. So, the whole GED argument for our family isn't cut and dried because of our experience.

I believe it's not an easy choice but one that you have to make based on what's best for your student, and that's not to say it will be financially easy. Our family can't afford any online courses, cc, AP, or other test routes because they cost more than just doing it the old fashioned way, so it all falls on me to teach it all. Because I'm working my butt off, my two boys will get a diploma but they won't get done early, they will have no AP courses, or college credits and we are ok with those decisions. I know in the long run that when they are in a career, that they may have gotten there differently and maybe later than a kid who was able to do some of that, but it won't matter because I know they will be just as prepared and will make about the same amount of money. In my opinion, the end result is what counts and not necessarily how you get there.

Edited by Mosaicmind
  • Like 1

FWIW, a lot of potential enlistees are turned down. Some for education levels or ASVAB scores. Some for medical reasons. Some for an inability to meet the initial physical requirements. (Medication for things like ADHD and obesity are common grounds for rejection.)

We just visited the recruiters for the Navy, Airforce, and Army because my youngest 2 want to follow their brothers into the military. My one son has been on ADHD medication but he will still be able to get in. It is all dependant on when he was diagnosed (if that's actually in his records), when he started taking medication, how long he was on it, and when he stopped medication. My son was on medication for less than 6months the first time and he was in 5th grade. The second time he was on it less than a year and he wasn't yet a teenager. If someone is on medication when they are enlisting they can't get it and sometimes if they have taken it past the age of 14 they may or may not get in. Depression and anxiety meds are an automatic denial. Someone who is overweight can enlist but has to be at a certain weight by the time they leave for basic. The same goes for under weight because my oldest son was under by 10 pounds going into basic but he had been under by 15 pounds when he enlisted and his recruiter said he should gain at least 5 pounds before he left, but again this is a case by case basis.

• Like 1

So it's a patchwork of this or that with each component needing to fall into place exactly.  That's not any more appealing than the current options.  Plus he does not want to go to a high school.  And I do not want him going away to a college at 16.  The plan is to have him take the GED at 16 and he'd go locally to the CC for two years then finish off at another school (that would be up to him if he wants to go away somewhere).  And the only DE options are anything I pay for out of my pocket.  The local high school DE stuff is all done at the high school and they barely allow me to take their time with a phone call so no they won't let him participate (which is fine because again he does not want to go to a high school).  I plan to pay for a few courses.  He's signed up for his second course now, but trying to pay for 24 courses (for the 24 credit option) is just way too expensive.  I have 2 kids so I have to think of my second kid as well.  (Not to mention I'm still paying for my education.) 

Interestingly, I was not sold on that idea for quite some time.  It was a local woman who sold me on it.  She had two sons who did that and they ended up doing great going that route (majoring in something similar my kid wants to do).  And I argued with her just like this back and forth for a long time.  People talk about the GED (TASC) being some sort of big deal, but not one employer has ever asked my DH about his high school stuff.  Also, going to a selective school in the stuff that interests my kid has no major distinct advantage.  People going to selective schools and those not are making similar amounts of money and having similar opportunities out in the field. 

Having some sort of degree, or several degrees, usually takes all the focus and minimizes any notice/comment of the GED. As Elegant Lion mentioned up-thread, the stigma problem pops up most frequently when there is no completion of a post-secondary degree.

Lots of people with real experience in this thread who have done this route (GED --> college --> degree(s) --> work professional/career), and as long as your DS studies for the GED TASC to ensure getting a high score so he doesn't run a risk of not being able to move on to college, it sounds like a fine plan for the hand of cards you've been dealt to have to play with there in NY. Good luck! :)

TASC Test Prep & Practice

TASC: Preparation Materials for Test Takers

Mometrix: Free TASC Test Prep

4 Tests: Free Practice TASC Exam

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

My only problem with the TASC route was the financials...it would force paying for CC oop for classes that are high school level. I am too cheap for that. The early grad route seems to be the most economical, because more of the providers do have funding for merit and financial need as compared to DE. The other avenue I have seen for under 18s is employee tuition reimbursement...2 of ds' s friends did the grad early route, and use tuition reimbursement for their CC classes, then on to U while working and living at home.

There is no way to graduate early except the thing you mentioned about that Bard College.  I am not sending my 16 year old kid away somewhere.  Not a good idea IMO given his personality. 

He would have some of the courses under his belt by the time he starts at the CC.  We plan to do some CLEP for the liberal art stuff (history, for example). 

ALL the routes force me to pay for stuff.  The one that forces me to pay the least amount of money is him matriculating at the CC.  Then he can get financial aid and he'd have to pay for most of it.

Employee tuition reimbursement requires him to work for a company that provides such a thing.  Who is going to hire someone with no experience who is also under 18 and pay for their college?  I'm trying to imagine that.  I don't know people.  I don't have some sort of special "in". 

I know we've commiserated before about the TASC/ super letter/ CC thing before.

It's so annoying.

Locally, our supers do give out letters, but things change as super's change.

A few teens I know have now done the TASC then matriculated at CC. Seems an ok way to go. But they were 17, not 16 when they took it, I'm not sure about the 16 age limit thing.

For now, we're sticking with doing 11th grade DE as a homeschoolers with a few classes & seeing how it goes. I'll pay out of pocket.

For 12th though, we're leaning towards full time DE (only a math class left for him to do at the high school level & he needs to do it online anyways) & it might make more sense to take the TASC so he can matriculate & get financial aid, either at our local U or CC.

Our local work finding jobs place does a prep class.

Edited by Hilltopmom

Yikes. My husband has run into this problem trying to get a job (Two different places). He has a Master's Degree in Math and two Bachelor's degree. But because he went through the Robinson Center at UW, he doesn't have a high school diploma. And the people talking to him were adamant he HAD to have a HS diploma or they could not even interview him.

I'm always amazed and appalled when I hear these kinds of stories come up in a discussion about the GED! It's ridiculous for a company to refuse to interview a person with a Bachelor's or Master's degree because of their high school education. I can understand the argument about the GED looking like a shortcut or lacking perseverance, ability to work with others or under authority...to some extent. But obviously someone who has a college degree has those qualities! I would think that if a person held a steady job for 4 or more years, that should be another way to prove they have those qualities. 

• Like 3

I know we've commiserated before about the TASC/ super letter/ CC thing before.

It's so annoying.

Locally, our supers do give out letters, but things change as super's change.

A few teens I know have now done the TASC then matriculated at CC. Seems an ok way to go. But they were 17, not 16 when they took it, I'm not sure about the 16 age limit thing.

For now, we're sticking with doing 11th grade DE as a homeschoolers with a few classes & seeing how it goes. I'll pay out of pocket.

For 12th though, we're leaning towards full time DE (only a math class left for him to do at the high school level & he needs to do it online anyways) & it might make more sense to take the TASC so he can matriculate & get financial aid, either at our local U or CC.

Our local work finding jobs place does a prep class.

Yes, since living in this district we have had 3 supers.  So I don't want to count on it.  Of course I suppose we could just do out the 4 years and hope to get the letter and then see what is what.  I think my son likes the idea of getting to move on a bit early.

But for now, he's entering 9th so I'm just going to go about our business.  I don't need to decide every detail today. 

• Like 3

That is college specific though. If you look at Bard, they have an Early College in the High School program that allows college credit in 11th and 12th to be used towards an Associate's Degree, concurrent with earning a high school degree. And its tuition free. One could use credit by exam plus dual enrollment to satisfy something like 12 of the high school credits and then the rest come from Early College.

What I am wondering...the new Pathways to the Diploma CTech option might be enough for a person with the right test scores and skills to transfer in to high school, then use credit by exam and DE plus local competency exam to earn the basic Regents Diploma with little seat time.

Tuition is free, but it doesn't say anything about room and board being free.

Ok. I've already said what I know to be true for us as two of my son's enlisted in the Airforce and several friends kids did too. GED DOES NOT MATTER in the military if you have good ACT/SAT scores, worked on top of doing school, and we're active in other things outside of school. Yes, they are a different tier but when it comes down to it, a kid with a GED will not get passed over if their ASVAB scores are good and they see that said kid did have a job (they call employer to get info on what kind of worker they are) and they have demonstrated that they aren't just a high school drop out or unemployed dead beat looking for steady employment with a good paycheck. Recruiters are trained to sniff these people out and recognize when the person applying has just half-a$$ed it thru life (we know a recruiter personally).

My oldest son joined the Airforce DEP at the age of 17 before his senior year started. He already had taken the SAT twice, had a job for the last 2 years, aced the ASVAB (even pointed out that one of their answers was wrong), and was set to graduate high school in December because all he needed was English 4 to graduate. I was sitting right at the desk with him when the recruiter told him that if he were to go get his GED that summer before his senior year started that the recruiter would have him on the list for his job and he could get into BMT before November and start his military career before he was even set to graduate from high school. The recruiter stated to me that though there are "guidelines", each recruit is looked at separately and not judged just based on GED, high school diploma, or some college. It took my son, I, and his dad a week to mull over and pray about whether we should do GED or diploma. We decided diploma because of the stigma of the GED, but it was difficult when ds only had one class left to graduate with honors distinction because he had a 4.0, good SAT scores, and lots of community involvement.

Now, we are faced with a similar situation with our dd. She hasn't finished the work she needs for having high school diploma and wants to do GED. She has a good job and just applied for an assistant manager's position, which doesn't require any schooling. Her bosses have encouraged her to get a GED and just get it over with or go to the local community college and get s few credits under her belt. I would rather she get her diploma even though I am on the fence about how I feel about the GED. She makes a compelling argument for the GED because she has a cousin, who graduated from MIZZOU May 2015 with his BS in Electrical engineering, and he works and makes $64k a year just out of high school. This cousin got his GED early because he was bored in high school. He had great ACT and SAT scores and was manager at the age of 17 where he was working and very involved in his community. He took no cc classes, honors, or AP classes while in high school. Despite only having a GED he got into MIZZOU and got a scholarship and now makes more than his own father ever did. So, the whole GED argument for our family isn't cut and dried because of our experience.

I believe it's not an easy choice but one that you have to make based on what's best for your student, and that's not to say it will be financially easy. Our family can't afford any online courses, cc, AP, or other test routes because they cost more than just doing it the old fashioned way, so it all falls on me to teach it all. Because I'm working my butt off, my two boys will get a diploma but they won't get done early, they will have no AP courses, or college credits and we are ok with those decisions. I know in the long run that when they are in a career, that they may have gotten there differently and maybe later than a kid who was able to do some of that, but it won't matter because I know they will be just as prepared and will make about the same amount of money. In my opinion, the end result is what counts and not necessarily how you get there.

You are right that ASVAB and other documentation will play a significant part in enlistment.  I edited my post because it did sound like I was saying that a GED was disqualifying by itself, which is not true.

I'm also having some trouble finding official information about enlistment tiers vs what is reported on military affinity sites.

You are right that ASVAB and other documentation will play a significant part in enlistment.  I edited my post because it did sound like I was saying that a GED was disqualifying by itself, which is not true.

I'm also having some trouble finding official information about enlistment tiers vs what is reported on military affinity sites.

Even if you find it, it doesn't matter, not really. They have their standards but it's case by case.

DH had to have three waivers to get in hahaha. One because he was too old, which I always get a kick out of :lol: :laugh: This was in a force reduction year.

But he literally couldn't have higher test scores. There is no job in any branch that he did not qualify  to do! I know this sounds like a brag but I really do just mean that people who are __going__ to do something, are __going__ to do it, GED or no. So GED-demonization based on hypothetical prospects is a fruitless mental exercise in uselessness!

I realize my point is seperate from your points, I'm just talking :)

Statistics about ged==petty crime or whatever are from so many drop outs getting ged's in or just out of prison. WHICH IS AN EXCELLENT THING!

Edited by OKBud