Menu

Transcript credits for concurrent student questions

DD #2 is taking concurrent classes this year.  Per our state's rules 6 credit hours of tuition per semester will be waived for high school seniors.  To sign up for these classes you have to agree to not take more than 19 hours at any one time. They are counting each high school class as 3 hours.  So 6 at uni with no more than 13 total @ high school.  We translated this to mean no more than 4 high school classes.

Clear so far?   :)

She will be taking Biology (4 credit hours) with Lab (1 credit hour)

which only leaves 1 more tuition waived credit hour left.  Dd chose to fulfill her P.E. requirement as there aren't many 1 hour class choices.

So...here are my questions.  Normally 6 credit hours equals 2 university classes.  Can we give her Biology class 1 1/2 credits and her Ballet class 1/2 credit to equal the traditional 2 credits?  It doesn't really seem right to award the Ballet class 1/2 credit, but the Biology takes up most of her allowed credits.  What would you do?

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

A one semester standard 4 hour college biology course plus lab is worth one high school credit; I would not give 1.5 credits.

A one semester 1 hour college credit in PE seems to me at most worth 0.5 high school credit. I would not give a full high school credit for such a course and find a half credit to be stretching it.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

I would still count biology w/lab as 1 high school credit and the ballet as .25 credit (equivalent to a one-semester high school course meeting only 2x week).  Then, four other year-long classes at home at 1/2 credit each per semester.  If she takes two more 3-hr college courses in the spring, she'll still end up with 7.25 high school credits for the year, plus 12 college credits. 

ETA:  If you want to be a real stickler for giving high school credit per college credit hour, you could give the bio class 1.25 credit - 1 for the lecture and .25 for the lab.  I don't think it matters that much, though.

Edited by klmama

A 4 hour college biology class is 1 high school credit. You really can't legitimately give more. She only has 5 hours at the CC so that leaves 14 for home right? That is 4 full credits plus another .5 credit.

So are you arranging your high school classes by the semester too? We did this. If so she could be taking 4 classes at home each semester (12 credit hours) along with her 2 classes at the CC. That is 12 classes/year! Clearly too much. There is plenty of room within their system to complete credit hours. You don't need to try to cheat the credits.

• Like 1

I would still count biology w/lab as 1 high school credit and the ballet as .25 credit (equivalent to a one-semester high school course meeting only 2x week).  Then, four other year-long classes at home at 1/2 credit each per semester.  If she takes two more 3-hr college courses in the spring, she'll still end up with 7.25 high school credits for the year, plus 12 college credits. 

ETA:  If you want to be a real stickler for giving high school credit per college credit hour, you could give the bio class 1.25 credit - 1 for the lecture and .25 for the lab.  I don't think it matters that much, though.

This was my original line of thought.  

A 4 hour college biology class is 1 high school credit. You really can't legitimately give more. She only has 5 hours at the CC so that leaves 14 for home right? That is 4 full credits plus another .5 credit.

So are you arranging your high school classes by the semester too? We did this. If so she could be taking 4 classes at home each semester (12 credit hours) along with her 2 classes at the CC. That is 12 classes/year! Clearly too much. There is plenty of room within their system to complete credit hours. You don't need to try to cheat the credits.

Um, I'm not trying to cheat.  That is the purpose of the questions.  She is taking 6 hours at the state university which leaves 13 for home. 

If I am doing the math right, and I may not be :), I am getting

Bio, Lab, Ballet ?

4 high school courses for a total of 4 credits

2 more college classes in the spring

likely English and Humanities or French for 2 total credits

So this would give her 7 to 8 credits depending on how Biology and Ballet are credited.

ETA:  Clarifying- Ballet is taken for credit at the University and fulfills the P.E. requirement.  It counts as a one hour course.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

Thinking more about this....  Unless high schools in your area would count the college-level bio w/lab as more than one high school credit, I wouldn't do it.  Any colleges your dd applies to will see that the class was taken at the college.  They'll know it was tougher than a high school bio class. 

Um, I'm not trying to cheat.  That is the purpose of the questions. 

Sorry. Poor choice of words on my part.

I still say (as a parent whose child took a 4 hour w/lab Bio spring semester) that is a 1 high school credit course.

My suggestion was that rather than taking her homeschooled high school courses spread across an entire year - 4 classes - 4 credits, take some using a semester block system. She COULD take up to 4 courses per semester this way - 4 full 1-credit each, classes.

We did most of our classes this way. So the full year's curriculum is done in a semester (just as a college course would do it). A large school district in my area does this, so it isn't unusual here. It makes the "can't take more than 19 hours" rule a non-issue, because you really can't fit in anywhere close to that.