Menu

Considering a Chinese water dragon

I have been looking at reptiles as potential pets. I wanted something that was friendly, somewhat easy to care for, and has an interesting habitat. DH will not tolerate a snake :sad:

So far my favorite is the Chinese Water Dragon. My Dh is willing to build the enclosure in a corner of our school room, and I think it will be very interesting for the kids and me to design and maintain the habitat. I realise this will be a fairly expensive project, and will require daily maintainance. I worry a bit about adding another long term daily committment to our busy lives. We still have a lot to think about.

Does anyone else have experience with terrarium pets?

Just wondering if you have you looked into reptile rescue in your area?

In my area there's a non-profit group which rehomes snakes & lizards & the occasional pet spider. She's a wealth of information & one thing I've learned from her is that many of these pets end up homeless as they turn out to be expensive/boring/kids lose interest yadayada. If you go the rescue route, they're more reasonable than the pet shops/dealers & of course, you're saving a life. Responsible rescues also do a lot of education & work hard to make sure adopters know what they're getting into. Another option would be to offer to foster - you can try it out & see how things go.

We've looked after a bunch of different animals (not reptiles though) which seemed like they'd be cool, but we were frankly glad to see them go to their forever homes. Nothing wrong with them, just not for us....

Just FYI, this is the site near me: www.reptilerescuerichmond.org