Menu

Vent about Apologia Biology...

I am very frustrated with Apologia Biology. Wile really expects the student to really read between the lines. I do not even know how he expects the kids to come up with the answers that he does in the solutions. I am even having trouble myself and I had two years of Biology in high school. It is very frustrating to figure out some of the study guide questions. I hope I am not alone in this. I know Wile made this program just for the student to do as a self learning program. However I really wish there was a book for parents to peruse in helping their students understand the material. DS really bombed the first 2 module test. So we are starting over....:glare:

Holly

Hi Holly,

I'm sorry you are so frustrated! I wonder whether your son outlines or takes notes from the chapter. That is how I study from a text and it's what I've required of my children when they have a text-based course. It's one thing to read, and nod your head in understanding. It's a whole 'nother world to be able to take notes/outline which requires the student to analyze and process the information.

Wile's biology text especially lends itself to notetaking/outlining. The chapter outlines taxonomy and then the next Modules study each kingdom in depth. Your student should be sure to categorize the information by phylum or class or further (if noted in the text) and note all of the characteristics that make up that phylum/class etc. Also note any differences.

I hope that makes some sense. Biology has not (yet) frustrated me, but there are days I've wanted to throw other books out the window!

Lisa

ETA: One other critical study skill for Apologia biology is to really study the drawings and diagrams. There are often test questions on these. I have my dc copy these (with colored pencils) into their notes.

I am having him do that per Teaching Company's How to be a Superstar Student DVDs. It is called Learner Journal. I am telling him to make charts and graphic organizers of his modules. I also purchases Live and Learn Biology CD which I forgot until now. I will have to print those out and hopefully that will help him.

I am ready to throw this book out the window. I have never have seen such a hard reading with this book. Not even in high school Biology classes I took. I was a straight A student in there except for when we had a chapter on evolution. I was very defiant in that section. I put the answer I knew she wanted then put my answer that I wanted and she still counted it wrong. Oh well.....moot point....

We are stasrting over so just wondered if any were in the same boat and get some advice. Thanks!! I will look into outlining with the phyllas and kingdoms and so on.

Thanks!

Holly

My dd has been struggling with Biology too. She did well on the first test and then did horribly on the second. I e-mailed Apologia and they sent a different format for the test on Module 2, and I had my dd retake the test using that one.

After discussing it with her at length, I think it is a problem with study skills. This is her first formal science class. We have always done science the TWTM way, without any testing. I am going to work with her on her outling/notetaking skills as she works through module 3. I also had her watch the Teaching Company tapes on how to be a superstar student.

You are not alone in situation! I'm thinking I have to find more time to learn biology again so I can help her. High school was a long time ago.:001_smile:

Yes, I have problems with it as well. I did throw the book out the window.

Dd knew the material fairly well, not as well as she should have though. I did not like the tests. Some of the questions were just, well, poorly worded and confusing. Dd failed most of them. I felt like I had the choice of totally remaking the program myself or changing to something else. I don't have the time to redesign the program, so out the window it went!

We switched to BJU Biology this year (which is supposed to be a harder program from what I've read). She is doing far better. SHe still isn't acing the tests, but her scores are an accurate reflection of what she has learned. I didn't feel that was true with Apologia. I like the BJU text better too.:001_smile:

Btw, I am a Biology nut who taught science before dc.