Menu

What does religious freedom mean?

Amira

Well, now you're (Faithmanor) getting into the extent to which a corporation is a person and yet not liable.  That's a whole nother can of worms, ugly little nasty ones, and I agree with you that it's a big problem.

I see much worse issues than ease of birth control  that are largely ignored.  Especially limits on campaign contributions being considered unacceptable because these constitute speech, assuming that the corporation is a person.  And that one is not limited to closely held corporations, either.  Huge, messy set of problems there.

But to say that only the big guys can incorporate is yet another incentive to eliminate small businesses.  I think that's a bad idea. Incorporation is abused, for sure, but for small businesses it's also the way to make sure that, say, the owner's house is not taken from him due to a frivolous lawsuit or some random change in the law that he doesn't even know about. 

Edited by Carol in Cal.

No, the issue is wether you can break the law if you say it is because of your religion. 

Close, but not quite.

Actually, the issue is to what extent the law should accommodate religious beliefs, from a constitutional perspective.

A better analogy is conscientious objector law in a time of a draft.

• Like 2

I'm not saying that, although others are.

What I'm saying is, it's not a big burden on someone to go and get birth control or even an abortion from PP for whatever they can afford (free even), or to go buy condoms or Plan B at a drugstore (isn't that OTC now?) compared with a burden on a private employer to be forced to go against their conscience in providing this.  The issue is not whether someone can get this, cheaply and easily.  It is whether all employers should be forced to provide it as part of their medical insurance, which was never a requirement before the ACA.  And actually, ironically enough, it's probably cheaper even for many with medical insurance to go to PP for it, since ACA insurance typically has very high deductibles that few ever meet, so they are going through private doctors (expensive) and paying out of pocket (nutsy expensive.) 

Yes, this.

And I have found that - sadly - almost everything is cheaper not going through insurance, by the way. 

My state now allows pharmacists to prescribe birth control pills and you can also get a 12 month supply, so no need to go monthly or every few months to pick up new ones. The bill passed with bipartisan support during the last legislative session.

• Like 3

My state now allows pharmacists to prescribe birth control pills and you can also get a 12 month supply, so no need to go monthly or every few months to pick up new ones. The bill passed with bipartisan support during the last legislative session.

Well, that's a step in the right direction. Now if they could only do that for all of the commonly used drugs. 

• Like 1