Menu

PSA about people who drive in NJ

From what I have read the state approved a $0.23 a gallon gas tax hike on Monday and experts are saying it will take effect on July 1. I barely saw this news as I have unplugged and we are the ugly step sister to NYC and Philly (I love it here but that is how I feel we are seen). Anyway, you should fill up your tank before the 1st if you can. 

Yeah they say it is going to go to roads, but last I checked, we have 2 major interstates that are toll roads! I know that this money isn't going to go down to the towns and counties that maintain the lion share of the roads. 

They said that in exchange of passing this they agreed to a 1% (though I have seen many stories saying just $0.01) sales tax decrease in the next 18 months. YEP that will pay for it in the pockets of working families!

I can't believe they are not phasing it in. That could be the difference between eating (and getting to work) and not eating for a lot of families next month. Not cool since school is out right now! 

Trust me if I would have known about this I would have been at the state house on Monday protesting this. It is going to hurt many families I am sure. Thankfully DH doesn't work too far away. 

Not a done deal yet. It passed the Assembly but the Senate still has until Thursday to vote on the bill.

I think before they pass the bill, they should revamp the NJT and GSP organization to ensure the money does go to maintaining the roads instead of administration people. The turnpike is so expensive. Where is the money going? 

• Like 1

Not a done deal yet. It passed the Assembly but the Senate still has until Thursday to vote on the bill.

I think before they pass the bill, they should revamp the NJT and GSP organization to ensure the money does go to maintaining the roads instead of administration people. The turnpike is so expensive. Where is the money going? 

Most of it is going to the dependents and government officials.

Where do I go to find out if it is coming up for a vote? I have to protest in Trenton tomorrow and Friday (2 different issues), so I might as well add this one to the list!

Yeah our arrogant governor got on the radio and called people stupid for not supporting it, and then we got mad and scared the lawmakers to not vote on it. Was in Trenton today across from the state house and it was a ghost town.

Prediction: it will be done in the dark of night. 

Well, there go my plans to pick up gas as I travel through Jersey to NC. :(

If you regularly drive in Jersey, this is a significant increase. 

If you are passing through Jersey, this shouldn't change your plans.  My SUV has a 15 gallon tank, so, this would increase the cost of a tank of gas by..... $3.45.

Not exactly a budget buster.