Menu

DUII and court appearance questions

swimmermom3

This is turning out to be a "memorable" summer for you.  :grouphug:

We've had a few too many of this kind of "memorable" times in recent years with our older two kids.  The third and youngest is due across the country in seven weeks for college. I am having a difficult time focusing on XL twin bed linens and renting dorm refrigerators. :tongue_smilie:

In the wee morning hours, dh commented that if our lives with the older kids were a book, he'd find the plot implausible.

And I didn't believe you all when you said that parenting adult children can be some of the hardest work ever.

• Like 12

It's interesting everyone's views on how bad this could be.  (ok the job thing, maybe)  My sister has had so many DUI's.  She didn't have any loss of license or jail time until the 3rd time.  I know she didn't have a lawyer the first time.  She was 16.  But the other times after age 21...it really wasn't serious until the 3rd time.  In fact, as her family we hoped they would give her jail time or take the license away sooner!  But no, every time they let her off on a probation type situation.  If he was charged with anything they have to give him the paperwork that shows the charge...did he not get this?  

I hope you get a lawyer and it turns out to be minor, it's all dismissed.  I will say my own observance of the system is that DUI's get off easy a lot of the time until it's a repeat situation. 

May depend on the state? Here, a friend got a DUI and it was 6 months suspended license, plus probation, fines, etc. That was for a first (and only) offense. 

I got pulled over and then sent a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt 3 years ago. I was wearing a seatbelt and had been since I got in the car so I went to court. They accepted that the cop may have been mistaken and I got off but I now have no faith in the police. What is to stop them randomly accusing people of things especially when most people don't argue just pay the ticket?

I am sorry either way your ds will never look at the police in the same way again.

May depend on the state? Here, a friend got a DUI and it was 6 months suspended license, plus probation, fines, etc. That was for a first (and only) offense. 

And even by county. We have a judge who had an alcohol abuse problem when he was in college, got sober, and now has no tolerance for DUI because in his experience there was too much lenience.

He simply throws the book, the max, the most he can stack up on the first offense. No mercy. He hopes it will shock the driver into getting help and never doing it again.

So I think it can be very much a local thing, a judge thing, etc. since most states have a range of sentencing options.