Menu

WWS I Delayed course shout out!

Just wanted to say that  D13 finished WWSI Delayed Course with Kayla Myers and received a 97%.

She is a public school kid and took this course while in 7th grade.

I was uncertain how she would do as D13 is very much a reluctant writer.

The parts to whole was perfect for her. She said she learned so much more in this course than in her 7th grade English 

class which focused on writing this year.

Just wanted to let you know the Delayed Course worked very well with my kiddo.

I would whole heartily recommend Kayla Myers! 

• Like 8

That's great news! I remember when you posted here before the class started and you were wondering if the delayed class would work for your daughter. I'm glad you came back to update us and I'm so happy for your daughter that it was a success!

How much time did your daughter spend on this after school?

I want to try this with my upcoming 7th grader, but I'm concerned about the time commitment and her increase in homework next year.

Daughter's reply:   2 hours a week of class time the whole academic year

First semester: 1-2 hours of out of class time a week working on assignments

Second semester: 2-4 hours of out of class time a week working on asignments

With more often  1 hour in first and 2 hours in second semester.

The end of year project is a research paper which there is no class time and more time given to write such paper.

Daughter found this very doable along with 7th grade year at public school. Again, she learned a greater depth and skills in this class than public school 7th grade ELAR.

We loved WWS 1 with Kayla Meyers too. For anybody considering this course for next year, acc to an email we received earlier in the Summer, Ms. Meyers is not teaching 2016-2017 because she is pursuing further studies. There are other teachers and models (eg. Workshop) available. A quick search of the forums will help determine info about other teachers and their styles. Best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. That amount of time sounds reasonable. As I read through the WWS 1 book it covers so much more than what my 12yo has been doing at school. Has your daughter been able to apply these writing skills to her school work yet?

I think she has, I think she will next year for sure. We are awaiting her 7th grade STAAR score. She had a 96 in ELAR this year and recieved "Most improved" by the teacher.