Menu

What do you do for a living?

mommyoffive

Before I quit in March I was an executive assistant for a healthcare marketing company.  I still do the occasional project for them on a freelance basis.

Other than that, I'm back to homeschooling my kids (I did it for 4 years, hired a private teacher for 2, now I'm back), I run a 4-H STEM club with dh, and I teach Sunday School.

Were you homeschooled as a child?

What is your biggest expense?

How do you get rid of ground squirrels?

What was your first job?

One of these things is not like the others.

Where have you traveled?

Where do you want to travel to?

What is upper middle class to you?

Do your kids earn money?

Not sure I have the exact titles, but wanted to add to Slache's list.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 2

Where have you traveled?

Where do you want to travel to?

What is upper middle class to you?

Do your kids earn money?

Not sure I have the exact titles, but wanted to add to Slache's list.

Hmm, I missed a few.  Thanks for the list!  I'll have to go hunt some others down... except I also have to go outside and get chores done before it gets hot, so it might be later.

Really cool questions for getting to know folks (with the combined list).  Ground squirrels?  Were cats suggested?

• Like 1

Hmm, I missed a few. Thanks for the list! I'll have to go hunt some others down... except I also have to go outside and get chores done before it gets hot, so it might be later.

Really cool questions for getting to know folks (with the combined list). Ground squirrels? Were cats suggested?

Forgot

How old were you when you became a mom?

If you could live anywhere in the U.S., where would you live?

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

I teach piano veeeeeeeeery part time with a select few students.

Because I have 4 kids to raise and homeschool.

I also do all the paperwork for our property/upcoming family business.

Sometimes I stop procrastinating and clean something... not right now of course...

• Like 1

Forgot

How old were you when you became a mom?

If you could live anywhere in the U.S., where would you live?

I had seen (and responded) on both of those.  Looking at the (whole) list, I've seen and responded on most I think (definitely missed the squirrel one).  I opted not to read the middle class one knowing there were likely to be responses I wouldn't care for.  I also opted not to go through the list of where we or our kids have traveled - too much thinking and I know I'd have left something out!  Then there's that time thing again - that whole idea of getting other things done once in a while.

I should go answer the "were you homeschooled one."  I missed that.  The answer is no, but I wish I had been.  I wasn't fond of high school even though I got a good education at mine.  I could have done a ton more on my own - esp with today's curricula, etc.  Back then I guess it wouldn't have been so easy though.

• Like 1

I teach piano veeeeeeeeery part time with a select few students.

Because I have 4 kids to raise and homeschool.

I also do all the paperwork for our property/upcoming family business.

Sometimes I stop procrastinating and clean something... not right now of course...

This is me, too, minus the family business. I used to actually teach for the preparatory program attached to the university near here where I got my masters in piano pedagogy. Now I mostly teach my kids and my friend's kids. I trade for violin lessons for my girls with one friend. Some pay me, some don't. Someday I plan to get serious again!

• Like 1

Sleep.

Seriously.  

At least that's what it feels like right now.  We are 2 months into our 'summer break' and about 2 weeks ago we hit a wall of boredom - not the kids so much, but me.  Even before that it was showing for me... staying up until the wee hours of the morning, getting up super late, lazing around.  Last week it hit a pinnacle of misery for me lol... I'm extremely extroverted so these months of no scheduled field trips, no activities, no sports, nothing outside of church, they are hard for me despite loving summer.  

I think depression sets in for me during the summer a bit if I'm not careful.  And I was spiraling a bit.  Up until 3am, getting out of bed at 11am just to throw clothes on and lay on the couch (dozing, sleeping, doing nothing) until 2pm, then finally getting up, eating some ice cream, drinking a cup of coffee, occasionally going to work at 4/4:30 until 8, repeat.

I've been a bit busier since then - kids in swimming lessons, meetings to go to, Bible study, events to work.  But yeah.  Too much 'free time' and I don't get along.  Hopefully now I just have to make it through next week and I'll be ok.  :)

But anyway.  In real answer to your question - I am the activities coordinator (self created lol) for local homeschoolers - I find field trips, activities, homeschool days in the general (large) area and let others in our community know about them.  I plan field trips to places that don't already have something in place.  I plan PE classes through the year and physical fitness in the spring.  I don't do it all alone - I do most of the legwork but there are a few of us who pick and choose the most interesting/relevant to our students together, and then I put it together.

Obviously none of that is a paid thing - I do it for my sanity.  (See above lol)

I work part time as a receptionist in a residential care and rehab facility.  It's a good, easy job.  I like interacting with people who come in.  But it also gives me long stretches of time and a big desk to plan things like the stuff above and my general school year stuff.  

I don't make much - I don't even qualify as a 'part time' worker, I'm technically PRN.  So my hours and pay are random.  It's just something to do.

• Like 1

I am a policy analyst for a national think tank focused on issues affecting children and families. I write white papers that maybe 20 people read ;-) and policy briefs that more than 20 people read (because they're shorter) ;-). I craft arguments to shape the direction of policy, help decision-makers sort through their policy options, or help individuals understand how a given evidence base may or may not be able to answer a social policy question. I'm able to work from home with the occasional need to travel to make the case for kids in person. 

In short, I fight on the side of good, but only occasionally wear the cape! (LOL!) 

Edited by Slojo
  • Like 2

Hot dog wrangler. No, seriously, we have two doxies and I feel like I chase after them more than my kids these days.

Tangent: I've been re-watching Lost. Anyone remember Ethan Rom and how he just appeared one day and no one noticed him as an outsider at first? Then Hurley starts taking a census and it's all downhill from there. Totally catching that vibe around the Chat board lately, lol.

• Like 1

Tangent: I've been re-watching Lost. Anyone remember Ethan Rom and how he just appeared one day and no one noticed him as an outsider at first? Then Hurley starts taking a census and it's all downhill from there. Totally catching that vibe around the Chat board lately, lol.

This confuses me lol. What?

I must have missed an inside joke somewhere lol

• Like 1

Together we farm. In our early homeschooling days, we both also worked part-time here and there doing this and that.  Now, he also works for the local municipality part-time and I work for a government department full-time. 

I have a degree in mental health, however I am a sahm and homeschool obviously.

Working on healing from two strokes and getting back to school. I do not wish to work in the mental health field anymore, might try dental assisting/dental hygienist. 

Before homeschooling I worked in advertising for major retailer.

I resigned to homeschool my kids.

When dh became disabled I added caretaker to my role.

Now I am a sahm, homeschooling mom, caretaker who picks up the occasional babysitting or dog walking for some pin money.

I'm blessed to do three jobs I'd do without getting paid (shhh but don't tell cause we do need the money) -fitness instructor, business coach and kid wrangler. Basically all of my jobs involve helping people believe in themselves and find ways to overcome challenges.

Currently I'm trying to get my son to believe he can clean his room. 😂😂😂

This confuses me lol. What?

I must have missed an inside joke somewhere lol

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Lost. It's fresh on my mind so this is way nerdy.

In Season 1 toward the beginning, a character named Ethan Rom shows up among the passengers. He works alongside the others, gets familiar with them, and so on. [Kind of like someone asking tons of "get to know you" questions on a message board.]

No one thinks anything because there are many people on the island and they are strangers to each other for the most part because they were just passengers on the same plane who now need to work together. [Kind of like how anyone can read and post on a message board and many people will gladly reply in the spirit of helpfulness and community even though they are mostly strangers who don't know each other.]

Hurley thinks about how they don't really "know" each other at all, that he decides to take a census and interview each person. [Kind of like how people have started to ask, "Hey, why all the somewhat personal questions from this relatively new person?"]

Ethan Rom gives Hurley his name and back story when questioned. His answers seem a little sketchy but Hurley is trusting and doesn't question him. [Kind of like answers given in this thread.]

Eventually Hurley gets the flight manifest and realizes Ethan Rom was not on the flight and had infiltrated their group for nefarious purposes. [Hopefully similarities end here.]

• Like 3

Eventually Hurley gets the flight manifest and realizes Ethan Rom was not on the flight and had infiltrated their group for nefarious purposes. [Hopefully similarities end here.]

Sounds a lot like a conspiracy theory that would make my dad proud.   :lol:

Can't say I'm the least bit worried/concerned, but I'm that way about all of his conspiracy theories.  I haven't started looking over my shoulder or preparing for the Apocalypse yet!  We even answer all those political opinion phone calls we've been getting lately (at least two per week), giving them a bit of detail into our thoughts (and demographics) so we may already have folks following us with evil intent.   :coolgleamA:

My current income activity is tutoring.

Eventually I will either take on paid accompanying along with tutoring, go back to the quilt store if they are going to pay me a bit closer to my level of experience and managerial responsibilities, or substitute teach 15 days per month.

I hope the first one works out.

The only other option would be potentially taking a 4-H program director position. They require bachelor's degrees in science or education, but since the pay is not top shelf, normally can't get anyone with those credentials because these candidates can get a lot more money elsewhere, I could get the job on my music degrees. I love 4-H, but that particular job would really tie us down in terms of traveling. I really would prefer to NOT do that. However, fall 2018 we will have three boys in college, and I think no matter what, I need to have some more income to help pay for that. We will be just barely managing this fall with two in college, plus student launch initiative expenses for our 4H rocket team, and youngest ds's dual enrollment with U of MI Flint, and MOOC Coursera Robotics plus having to help my parents a bit here and there financially. I have picked up three more tutoring students for two hours each per week so that's going to cover my parents' expenses that we assist with, and I am very happy about that.