Menu

What do you do for a living?

mommyoffive

Now I'm a stay at home, homeschooling mom. No paid work.

Five years ago I was the Director of a genomics and oncology project at one of the top cancer centers in the world, developing a system that matched a patient's cancer treatment to the specific mutations of their particular cancer by sequencing their DNA. They called it individualized medicine. It was fascinating but I don't really miss the stress of it all. Before that I specialized in infectious disease and ran pharmaceutical trials world wide.

Edited by texasmom33

Sahm, and former homeschooling mom. We officially finished this year - ds graduated homeschool high school.

In my former life I was an exceptional education teacher. I taught at all three levels. My first teaching job was at an elementary school. Next was middle school (didn't like that). Before becoming a sahm I had been teaching at the high school level for 12 years. 

I initially planned to go back to teaching once ds started school, but then we decided to homeschool. 

I won't be going back to work (teaching or otherwise). Dh is due to retire in 2 years and I don't want to go out to work just as he's coming home. 

• Like 2

Just new to the board, so trying to learn about everyone.

That's fine. Just wondering.

Btw, a great way to learn about folks here is to get out of mobile mode and read folks' signature lines., if you aren't already. Then just hang around and read. You'll soon learn what certain people's soapbox issues are, where they are on the political spectrum, who's having a tough personal life, who's btdt and who's new to homeschooling. It's fun to "people watch" here.

Edited by Kinsa

That's fine. Just wondering.

Btw, a great way to learn about folks here is to get out of mobile mode and read folks' signature lines., if you aren't already. Then just hang around and read. You'll soon learn what certain people's soapbox issues are, where they are on the political spectrum, who's having a tough personal life, who's btdt and who's new to homeschooling. It's fun to "people watch" here.

Yeah I can see everyone's signatures.  I am trying to get to know everyone here.  

I really like this board, so many really thoughtful conversations here.

I have shied away from your questions because they feel intrusive and overly personal.  This is the first thread I've seen you come back to which is why I responded.  I think a better way of getting to know people would be talking with them, engaging in a dialogue.

• Like 8

I have shied away from your questions because they feel intrusive and overly personal.  This is the first thread I've seen you come back to which is why I responded.  I think a better way of getting to know people would be talking with them, engaging in a dialogue.

Thanks.  I would love to try and do that. 

The only time I have time to post right now is when I am nursing a squirming baby who wants the keyboard.  So my responses might take a bit a time and are kind of short right now.

Yeah I can see everyone's signatures. I am trying to get to know everyone here.

I really like this board, so many really thoughtful conversations here.

And you'll soon learn that some of us avoid the heady threads. I have enough "hard thinking" throughout my day, and I really don't want to think deeply when I come here. LOL But I admire those who do.

I budget our finances from hubby's Civil Engineering business.  :coolgleamA:

Seriously... I earn about 10% of our family finances, so not much.

My part time job though is subbing mostly for math/science classes at our local public high school.  I love that job and work 3-4 days per week during the school year (if we aren't traveling), so getting a paycheck from it is a bonus (and we usually use the money that way too).  I've been working there for 16 years.

I have no desire to go full time for more than an occasional long term thing for a friend.  That would cut back my time and our travel way too much making the job "work."

I also breed, raise, and train (some) our ponies, but that's more of a hobby than income.

And in response to the "side topic" I'll add that I've been on this board for years and have been enjoying reading the answers folks have posted to most of these topics.  It's been interesting getting to know folks more. ;)

To anyone not interested... one can pick other threads to read and post on.  I've been doing that a fair bit lately (also due to allowing myself less time on here, so picking and choosing).  I like these - at least - the ones I've taken time to look at.

• Like 4

To anyone not interested... one can pick other threads to read and post on.  I've been doing that a fair bit lately (also due to allowing myself less time on here, so picking and choosing).  I like these - at least - the ones I've taken time to look at.

I hope I didn't come off as uninterested.  I'm very interested in this topic. 

How are you new to the boards?  It says you joined in 2012.  That is 4 years ago.

I think I joined then and maybe posted a question or two.  I don't remember.  But I have lurked more than posted.   So i feel new in that I don't really know anyone and nobody knows me.  I guess I feel more pulled to a home schooling board now that I feel more in this category.  Does that make sense?  My oldest is 10 youngest is a baby.  In the start of HS it wasn't so black and white btwn people I know irl.  But now that we are farther in the moms that I were friends with who were all SAHMs now they have all their kids in school, i am looking for more of a HS community. 

We belong to a coop and that is great.  And we run into a few hs moms through sports and stuff.  But not much.  Doesn't help that we live in a small town that is 20-30 mins from other towns.

• Like 1