Menu

How old were you when you became a mom?

mommyoffive

I got married at 19 (dh was 21), but waited to finish college, begin careers and get established. We were not in any rush.

We had our first daughter (Opera Girl) when I was 32 and our second daughter (Art Girl) at 34. 

My mother was 30 when I was born and my grandmother was 30 when my mom was born.  Long generations just seemed natural. 

• Like 1

27 (nearly 28). Would have been just -turned-27 but I had a miscarriage first.

I was just 2 months older than my mom was when she had me. That's been kind of fun to consider when I think of my childhood memories.

Edited by AndyJoy

I was 18. And then 22, 24, and 28. 

My eldest is 20 now and busy with university. 

I certainly didn't plan to get pregnant at 18, but I wouldn't change it. I do love being 38 with adult/older kids. 

This is a perk I like as well.  I'll be 41 when my youngest two leave for college.  I am young enough to start a career and still have a good 25-30 years before I hit retirement age.  

Edited by The Girls' Mom

I certainly didn't plan to get pregnant at 18, but I wouldn't change it. I do love being 38 with adult/older kids. 

24 here (vs 18), but I'll chime in that I love being younger when my kids are older.  I can't imagine having young kids now (though certainly no criticism of those of you who have them!!!).

Of course, it all had to work out "right" for things to happen as they did (meeting Mr Right, being able to have kids, etc), so it's not like everyone can plan exactly what they want.  We didn't plan it either.  We just ended up liking what happened (age-wise).  We were married 4 years before our oldest was born, so had fun then, and now are enjoying our empty nesting years together - still some years off from the rocking chair stage.  In the meantime, we did tons of fun things with our guys.

If we're lucky, sooner (rather than later) there'll be grandkids - but that's on my kids' timetables.  It'd probably be helpful if the two younger ones found Mrs Right and got married first.   :lol:

• Like 1