Menu

Math Mammoth and Singapore Math question

I have already purchased Singapore Math through 6B. My son likes it so we plan to finish it. But, looking at the MM scope and sequence, it seems that there are things in level 7 that my son won't have. The plan had been to go straight in to algebra. I know this is a solid plan, I have done it before and all was great. But now I am wondering if perhaps I should pick up the 2nd half of 7th grade MM to also work on this year. Or if it would likely be redundant and I just am not realizing it. I do not want to be redundant. He is actually a quick learner and starts to get antsy and can meltdown when overloaded or held back.

MM7 is prealgebra, whereas SM6 is not; that's why there may be a few topics not covered in SM.

What algebra are you planning to use?  That might make a difference.

Jacob's algebra. I used it before and then went on and used Foresters Algebra 2 and there was no gap.

Then why not do it again?  Look at the topics you noticed that were covered in MM7 but not SM6 - they are all covered in Jacobs at some point, yes?

I will double check. I was thinking the statistics topics were not, but I do have AoP's probability book so we could just do that after the algebra.

Chapter's 9-11 are not in Singapore Math, parts of chapters 5-8 are not. I will go compare with Jacob's algebra now.

But yeah, now I have looked at samples of MM, I do not think I like it that much. It is ok and all, but the pages do not look that appealing to me. The scope and sequence is great. But I do not think he would go for MM because of how it looks.

I will double check. I was thinking the statistics topics were not, but I do have AoP's probability book so we could just do that after the algebra.

If you think he might be an AoPS kind of kid, have you considered going in that direction for prealgebra?  (ETA, that would work after SM5)

FWIW, for geometry, probability and statistics in particular, AoPS is way, way, way more fun than MM, and I say this as a general fan of MM.  (I'm referring to those topics as they are covered in the prealgebra text as well as in their other texts.)

Edited by wapiti

Singapore does some stats in their 7B book (Dimensions Math, CC edition). They devote three chapters to it. Data Handling (Mean, Median, and Mode), Probability of Simple Events (Set Notation, Meaning of Probability, and Sample Space), and Probability of Combined Events (Simple Combined Events, Mutually Exclusive Events, Independent Events).

We are liking the Singapore books for grade 7 so far. They have samples and an online scope and sequence on their website. We'll probably continue with Singapore through 8th grade. It's my understanding that they cover Algebra I by the end of 8th as well as giving a good start on geometry.

Just another option if you are interested.

• Like 2

If you think he might be an AoPS kind of kid, have you considered going in that direction for prealgebra?  (ETA, that would work after SM5)

Just wanting to clarify this - you are saying to go from SM5 to AoPS pre-algebra?

Just wanting to clarify this - you are saying to go from SM5 to AoPS pre-algebra?

Yes.  Might need to add a lesson on operations with negative numbers if that wasn't already covered.  (Of course, whether AoPS is a good fit will depend on the student.)

Edited by wapiti

Yes.  Might need to add a lesson on operations with negative numbers if that wasn't already covered.  (Of course, whether AoPS is a good fit will depend on the student.)

Thank you, that is good to know! (and I think my math plans are solidified - whew)