Menu

Miniseries: Winds of War, War of Remembrance, North & South - how much romance, "mature" scenes?

These miniseries look great for some fun summer TV-watching, and learning about WWII in the process. But I'm having a hard time finding any parental reviews or information about how appropriate it is for young kids. I'm not concerned about violence, but wondering about any romance scenes. I'll want to avoid it if there is any nudity or much beyond basic short scenes of kissing. I get the impression that North and South might have a bit more romance action than I'm looking for. If anyone has seen any of these and remembers anything as far as this, I'd love your input. Thanks so much!

North & South is the only one on your list I've seen. Its a love story but they are trying to hate each other. I don't remember anything inappropriate. Its been a while since I've seen it but i remember horse and buggy transportation and impossibly huge dresses. I don't thinks it's WWII.

I hope you get more input!

North and South is Civil War and while not horribly graphic, definitely includes a number sexual encounters between different characters, including a scene of domestic abuse and rape at the end of the first episode.

The Winds of War (beginning of WWII) is pretty mild. Sexual innuendo in a few places but nothing overt. I very much enjoy this miniseries!

War and Remembrance (picks up where Winds of War leaves off) is about the same on the romance front, but I would have concerns about the graphic scenes of Hitler's Final Solution. The are several scenes that include naked men, women and children on their way to the gas chambers and actually showing the gassing. These scenes are very disturbing - I would allow my high schooler to see them, but definitely not my 4th grader, and possibly not my 7th grader.

Not a miniseries per se - but if you can get your hands on 1940s house (our library has a copy)... it's sort of historical reality television taking place during the WWII British Homefront and my kids LOVE it (and the others like it) and have watched it repeatedly.

A modern British family moves into a house that has been converted to a 1940s house (modern amenities removed) and the family must live as though it was the war (as their war experience continues they face rationing, blackouts, air raid sirens, etc.).

Winds of War and War and Remembrance are two of my favorite books dealing with WWII.  War and Remembrance came out when I was in high school and I watched the WHOLE THING.  I agree, I thought the death camp scenes were very graphic for the time. (1990s tv) Winds of War came out earlier and I didn't care for the main actors in that one.  I think depending on how young your kids are, you might want to preview it first.  Just know that it's like 24 hours long or so. I learned quite a bit however.

Jamee - thanks. When you suggest previewing it, do you mean for romance scenes? Yikes, I don't think I can preview 24 hours! Was hoping to find people who have seen it and can tell me what kinds of scenes there are. I think I'll skip the War and Remembrance one.

theelfqueen - I LOVE the idea about the 1940s House show. Great idea, thank you. I love those house shows.