Menu

The results of the godly tomatoes method on kids

MegP

2 hours ago, Quill said:

No; other side of the family. The child I spoke about is an adult now. I should ask how she feels about green beans, lol! 

This reminds me of the time my xh sat in front of a plate of food which included green beans.  His mother knew he hate green beans. For some reason she was hell bent on making her adult, married son eat them.   He looks at the green beans, looks at her and says, ‘ I am 23 years old.  I don’t like green beans.  And I am not going to eat green beans.’

lol…still makes me laugh.  

• Haha 2

My parents weren't abusive about me and my feelings but did encourage me to hid my true feelings or "have a good attitude" about things that I don't like. So, I turned out alright. However, when I was in high school my mom told me she realized that sometimes you have to act angry to get what you want. She said "Forget what I told you about having a good attitude. If you feel wronged if you are upset at what someone did show them you are angry about it." She discovered that when some of her friends would be upset when restaurants messed up orders (like waay too much salt on a dish) and they would be comped or have the dish replaced. 

So sometimes showing people how you really feel isn't a bad or childish thing. I think that was when my mom realized sometimes people just don't know something is wrong or how wrong something is until you become the squeaky wheel. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Clarita said:

My parents weren't abusive about me and my feelings but did encourage me to hid my true feelings or "have a good attitude" about things that I don't like. So, I turned out alright. However, when I was in high school my mom told me she realized that sometimes you have to act angry to get what you want. She said "Forget what I told you about having a good attitude. If you feel wronged if you are upset at what someone did show them you are angry about it." She discovered that when some of her friends would be upset when restaurants messed up orders (like waay too much salt on a dish) and they would be comped or have the dish replaced. 

So sometimes showing people how you really feel isn't a bad or childish thing. I think that was when my mom realized sometimes people just don't know something is wrong or how wrong something is until you become the squeaky wheel. 

yes, I think a parent has to be in tune and discerning enough to know when the "feelings" are based in fact (my brother is actually bullying me)(this food is inedible) or when the kid is just acting spoiled and entitled.  Getting the children involved in acts of service for the greater part of the day/week goes a long way in curbing the emotional roller coaster.  Thinking of others and reminding everyone of the bigger picture gives it all some perspective.