Menu

Where have you traveled?

mommyoffive

Lived in: Germany (30 years), England (1 year),  US (18 years - CA, OR, Midwest)

Traveled extensively in those countries

Lived in Russia for one summer

Traveled to: Austria, France, Czechia, Italy, Spain, Iceland

Unfortunately, I was not able to travel widely before 1990 because we lived in East Germany and were not allowed to leave the country. I wish I had had more opportunity to travel within Europe.

Favorite place? Hard to say. Love Utah desert, the cascades, the Rockies, the Sierra Nevada, Iceland wilderness, the Alps

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Where have you traveled?

Sydney, Australia

Hong Kong

Beijing

Thailand

Indonesia

West Malaysia

Paris

Germany

Switzerland

What was your favorite place?

Switzerland in Winter

What is the farthest you have been away from home?

8,481.9 miles/13,650.3 km

I'm from the UK

France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, Portugal, Greece, the Netherlands

Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand

Australia and New Zealand

California, Texas, Colorado, Pennsylvania and New York

I liked New Zealand a lot, Switzerland and Colorado.

Edited by Laura Corin

In the U.S -

I've spent time in every state along the east coast from NY to Florida. I also spent time it New Orleans, a small town in Arkansas (where dh's cousin lives), Tennessee near the Cumberland Gap (again dh's family), and Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio in Texas. Dallas is the farthest west I've ever been from home. 

Outside the U.S. -

On a cruise I spent some time off the boat in the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. Thomas).

When I visited England I stayed in East Anglia - Woodbridge area. I spent most of my time in that area but also traveled north almost to the border of Scotland and did much of the usual touristy stuff in London. Some other areas I visited on those (two different trips in 1986 and 1988) are Cambridge, Canterbury, and Dover. Stayed overnight in Wales before catching a ferry to Ireland the next day. In Ireland I only got to see Dublin but would loved to have seen the countryside. On one of those visits we took a side trip to Bruges, Belgium. 

There are so many other places I'd love to travel to, as well as return to the ones I visited 30 years ago. When dh retires in a few years we're hoping to do some traveling.

Mexico, Argentina, India, Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Ireland, England. And I've been to 22 states.

India was by far my favorite and I would love to go back, pretty sure India is the farthest as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farthest traveled from home was when I was living in Hawaii and went on a trip to London, Paris and various cities in Spain. I've only been to those places plus Germany, Austria, Belgium and Canada. I'm counting Canada as being visited because I had lunch there. lol. Dh has traveled more extensively due to work.

Favorite places: Colorado Rockies, coastal Maine. I've only been to about half the US states.

I'd love to see New Zealand someday.

I've been to most of the continental US expect for NE and Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.  I've been to Hawaii but not Alaska.

Outside the US

Mexico several times and Canada once.

Croatia, Bosnia, and Serbia.

Favorite place:  My home state, especially northern Idaho.  The Rockies.  Oregon Coast.

I would love to travel more.  My dd and I are planning a trip to Germany in a year, finances obliging (fingers crossed).  I want to go to England where my great-grandparents came from.  Honestly, I would travel anywhere if I had the opportunity. And a tranquilizer to get on the plane.  :lol:

Lol.  My record is 1300 miles away, in Miami.  And I've never been west of the Mississippi.  My favorite places are a campground 1 hour from my childhood home, and the place I live now.

Given all the money in the world, I would travel extensively, but only because what else are we going to do?!?  ;)

All over California, since I grew up there. Also a lot of Illinois, and enough of the other states to make over half of them graced by my presence :-)

Abroad, just Bern, Rome, Milan and Florence.

Also Tijuana but that is almost part of California ;-)

Germany (I grew up in West Germany, most of my family lived in East Germany), Great Britain, Tunisia, The Netherlands, Poland, Norway, Denmark, Austria, Switzerland, US (all except Fl, GA, SC, MS, AL, LA, AK and HI), Canada, Japan.

My favorite place so far is Japan.

All of the continental US except North Dakota.  Mexico, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, British Virgin Islands, US virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia, Curacao, Poland, Luxembourg, Belgium, France, England, Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Lichtenstein, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Monaco, Greece, Turkey, Croatia, Slovenia, Hungary, Slovakia, Canada- British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec.

I don't have a favorite place.  I really did love living in Belgium.

Places I've lived: California, DC, Panama, Montana, Oregon, South Carolina, Mississippi, Hawaii, Maryland

I've traveled to about 35 states, throughout Italy, Thailand, Cambodia, and South Korea.

We are headed to the Caribbean in December and Europe in May.

Where have you traveled?

Where have I traveled?

I live in New England so I have traveled extensively throughout the Northeast. We took a five week road trip a few years ago and hit about 8 states in the mid west and west, went to 11 National Parks. Have been in every state on the eastern seaboard as well. Visited Quebec. Went to Saint Lucia while I was pregnant with my first. Worked for SAS's ad agency so dh and I flew to and visited all the Scandinavian countries (pre marriage). I went to Germany after college with a close family friend and stayed with her brother.

ETA totally forgot I went to Mexico a couple of times, Puerta Vallarta.

What was my favorite place?

Wow, tough question. I absolutely adore camping in Maine, at Acadia National Park. We've been over 10 times and it never ever gets old. The cross country trip we did was obviously memorable and unlike any places we'd ever been, so that's up there. Internationally, I'd have to say Quebec was probably my favorite. We're going to Europe next summer (Italy, Switzerland, and France) and I think that will take the top spot.

I love to travel and hope we an afford to, and are healthy enough to, once we are empty nesters :)

Edited by whitestavern

Never lived more than 60 miles from where I was born.

Farthest:

London  (3988 mi)

Favorite: 

Wales

In the US: 

Los Angeles, San Francisco, Albuquerque, St. Louis, New Orleans, DC, Massachussetts (Boston and Plymouth), Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, upstate NY, Vermont, NJ (Teaneck and Hackensack), Maryland (Hagerstown and Rockville), Virginia, NC, SC, Kentucky, Tennessee, W. Virginia, Georgia, Florida

Outside the US:

Mexico (Mexico City, Acapulco, Taxco), Quebec Province (Montreal and the Laurentian mountains), Niagara Falls (Canadian side), southern England (London, Winchester, Exeter,  Oxford, Bath, Avebury, Devon), Wales (Hay-on-Wye, Caerphilly)

Edited by KarenNC

England, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, The Netherlands, Spain, Hungary, Greece, and Belgium.

Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, Jamaica.

Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana, Kentucky, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, Illinois, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

My favorite country to visit was Greece, but this was over 20 years ago, before the EU debacle. My favorite state thus far has been Michigan.

Edited by Ewe Mama

Lived for long periods in Brazil, England and USA - traveled throughout the UK and some in USA

Visited - Columbia, British Guiana, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Holland, Italy, Bahamas, Barbados, Canary Islands

I loved Brazil. I really enjoyed living in the UK and loved visiting Scotland, but my favorite place is Italy - especially Venice!

ETA - Forgot Greece

Edited by tcb

Most of the US eastern seaboard and the Southeast, parts of the Southwest. Mexico, Canada, the Bahamas, US Virgin Islands, Costa Rica, and Spain. Spain is definitely the farthest. I'm slowly adding more of the US, year by year, and I hope to travel more internationally in a few years.

The south Caribean on a cruise (St. Martinique, Barbados....)

Aruba

Canada

England

Mexico (Cruise also)

Northern Italy

France

Monaco

It could be called Spain, but really, it was Basque and they really don't claim Spanish culture; it is their own thing

Where have you traveled?

Mexico, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic (3 months), Peru, France, Belgium

Very hard to say. Living in the D.R. changed me as a person in important ways. I LOVED Peru. France was my first time to Europe, and it was amazing. I loved Belgium, until the terror attack. I love traveling and I wish I could do it professionally.

Belgium.

A few states & the Caribbean, that is all. I grew up in a farming family & we went to Walt Disney World once & a few times to Chicago, that was all. I also had a mentally challenged brother (severe brain damage at 6 mos old) so that also made it difficult. My husband has been overseas (when he was younger) we''ve never had money to travel & honestly I really don't care, it's what I'm used to. We've stayed in a hotel probably 10 times in 21 years. I'm hoping in a few years when we're both working full time that will change. My parents do more now & took us on a cruise to the Caribbean for their 40th.

Edited by Prairie~Phlox

In Hawaii now! I have been to 30+ plus states including Alaska. Italy, Germany (for 1/2 day so not long enough), The Netherlands, Belgium, England, Switzerland, Canada, and the DR, 

Favorite places - Italy - small hill towns and Lake Como (we stayed way up on a hill) and Alaska. A lot of it has to do with the company - the kids were younger and before they were always on their phones.

I do not know which is the most far - maybe Fairbanks, AK or Venice, Italy.

Edited by lmrich

France, Spain, St Lucia, St Kitts & Nevis, Bolivia, Venezuela, Argentina, CuraĂƒÂ§ao

Most of the East Coast, TX and CA.

My favorite was St Lucia - we had a really dreamy honeymoon in our own villa overlooking the ocean. It was so so spectacular. Glad we did that while we could - don't think anything like that will be in the budget ever again ;)

I'd love to go to Italy and Greece!

Australia, Denmark, Egypt, France, Greece, Israel, Jordan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Oman, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Sweden, Tanzania, Thailand, UAE, UK. Some of those were just visited for a couple of days though, and only the main city. This year we'll add Italy, plus revisit a few on the list.

I really can't say which I liked most. I could say "____ is amazing because ____ " for each of them. I think that's what's so fantastic about travel - it helps to build a "different but equal" mentality. I have a special love for Middle Eastern and Mediterranean countries. And I remember Sweden as really beautiful.

My "home base" has various been in Australia, the Middle East and Africa, so figuring out the furthest I've been is too hard! Oman to New Zealand, probably? In December we fly Australia to the UK, which might beat that.

ETA - Tanzania! How could I forget my honeymoon destination?

Edited by nd293

Places I've lived: California, DC, Panama, Montana, Oregon, South Carolina, Mississippi, Hawaii, Maryland

I've traveled to about 35 states, throughout Italy, Thailand, Cambodia, and South Korea.

We are headed to the Caribbean in December and Europe in May.

So exciting.  You have your plans already, now just save up for them.

• Like 1

Where have you traveled?

Not SO many places. By car, all states on the East Coast of the USA and as far to the west by car as Missouri. In the east, my favorite places ar Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Maine.

By plane, I have been to Colorado and Seattle (in addition to places I have also been by car). I love Colorado.

By ship, I have been to Alaska, Mexico and The Bahamas. I loved Alaska. Alaska was my favorite vacation of all time, but we also had a very fortunate weather week.

I love mountains and scenic nature. I love hiking and walking amongst natural beauty. I like little quaint towns WAY more than I like big cities. I like little shops in Vermont where you can buy maple sugar candies.

ETA: I have also been to Canada by car. I like it there, too.

Edited by Quill

I've lived up and down the east coast. A summer in Seattle. A year in southern China.

I've been through most states in one way or another.

China (and I traveled a good bit around there in my trips)

Hong Kong

Thailand

Malaysia

Canada (just Toronto and around Quebec a little)

Costa Rica

France

Ireland

Czech Republic

Italy (just Rome around around Rome though)

UK (just London though)

Namibia

Botswana

Zimbabwe (just Victoria Falls though)

South Africa

Iceland (I forgot that one!)

I've crossed both tropics on land, though never the Equator. It was cool to cross the southern tropic in Namibia - we pulled over to the side of the road and took a picture.

I guess the farthest I've been is probably Beijing? Maybe Chengdu? I don't know - somewhere in China, probably.

My favorite place... hm... I don't know! It's hard to pick. And traveling to a place and having a good time is sort of different from liking a place. Our trip to Ireland was plagued with many, many minor disasters so it's hard to pick it as a favorite even though maybe, I don't know, it could be otherwise, you know? I think I'd say Namibia and Costa Rica were my favorites in terms of place and people and trip all together - nice people, good food, great trips, pretty places.

Edited by Farrar

I've lived in Australia, Papua New Guinea, Scotland, England, Germany and now Turkey. And after the Brexit, looks like we will be living in Scotland again.

I have visited

Ireland

Wales

France

Belgium

The Netherlands

Norway

Sweden

Denmark

Austria

Hungary

Czech Republic

Romania

Bulgaria

Spain

Italy

Greece

Switzerland

Singapore

Hong Kong

Japan

My favourite country is Japan, but there are many others that make me very happy to be there.

Edited by nobeatenpath

Fun to read!

I've been to many states, except in the deep south and the upper East Coast, and Alaska.

In Canada-- Vancouver, Toronto, and a few places in-between.

Also-- Mexico, Costa Rica, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Germany, France, Belgium, Holland, England, Scotland, Greece, Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Bosnia, Turkey, Jordan, Israel, Egypt, Syria.

A favorite is hard to say.  Maybe our Hungary-Austria-Croatia trip. That was pretty amazing.  I love Paris too.

The farthest?  Probably Syria.  

Places on my wish list:  Romania, Argentina, Russia, Kenya.

well, I grew up in Africa, so I have traveled a lot.  When I was 18, I flew through Europe and came back to the US alone.  I lived here alone for all but one year of college.  

As an adult I have traveled through parts of Asia, Europe, Africa, and Central America.  All with friends or alone.

Last count, I have visited almost 40 countries and stayed longer than a week in 9 of them.

Let's see if I can name them all:

Africa:

Kenya

South Africa

Liberia

Egypt

Sierra Leone

Ethiopia

Mauritius 

Madagascar

Asia:

Hong Kong

China

Singapore

Malaysia

Indonesia

Mongolia

Japan

Jordan

Israel

Europe:

England

Scottland

France

Germany

Switzerland

Italy

Holland

Greece

Spain

Gibraltar

Lithuania

Vatican City

Americas:

United States

Canada

Mexico

Argentina

Panama

Bahamas

There may be one or two i am missing.

On my wish list:

Scandinavian countries

India

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

US: 35 states

World: 15 other countries

Favorites: US (New England), Guatemala, Spain, Australia

I traveled a lot in my 20s and 30s. I have disabilities now that restrict my travel so we mostly travel by car now. We tend to do short in-state trips yearly and a  huge multi-state lasting several weeks thing every 2 years or so. Last year was a big one so we're just doing small ones within state this year, but one of my sisters is moving a couple states away (about 8 hour drive) and is planning a big birthday party for herself for a milestone birthday in November so we might have to make the trek for her.

I have been in most of the Western US states, plus Hawaii but not Alaska.

I crossed the border into Mexico one time for a few hours from Texas. That is the extent of my weorld travels.

My favorite place is at Waldo lake in Oregon.

Edited by Tap

Canada, Germany, Netherlands, and France. Furthest west I've been in the US (don't laugh) is Pennsylvania.  So in the US I've only been to the eastern states and mostly north eastern: Maine, VT, New Hampshire, NY, CT, PA, Mass, and RI.  And I have been to Florida.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

A month in Indonesia, a month in Turkey, and two weeks in northern Italy were my longest trips. Three days in the Netherlands during the coldest winter in 20 years were also very memorable.

Favourite place? Gosh, all of them.

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 1

US:  about 3/4 of the states so far.

Foreign countries:

Americas:

• Canada
  • Mexico
  • Guatemala
  • Hunduras
  • Belize
  • A bunch of Carribbean islands, some are countries but I don't remember them all
  • Peru
  • Chile
  • Argentina
  • Urugay
  • Brazil

Europe:

• Greece
  • Italy
  • Vatican City
  • Spain
  • Portugal
  • Germany
  • Austria
  • Switzerland
  • France
  • UK (England, Scotland, Ireland)
  • The other Ireland
  • Next week, going to Poland & Ukraine.

Asia:

• China
  • India

Africa:

• Morocco

That's what comes to mind at the moment.

As mentioned above, next week we are flying to Poland and Ukraine.

In the next year or so, we plan to get to Japan and Australia.

There are still a number of countries I want to visit after that.  We'll see how it goes.  :)

I think my favorite is still India.  That is probably also the farthest away from here.  :)

Edited by SKL

Where have I been:

I've been in all the southern states except Mississippi.  I've hit most of the mid-west and some of the eastern states, California and Hawaii.  I've been to various parts of Mexico, Quebec, and the Bahamas.

Favorite place:

Hawaii

Farthest away from home:

Hawaii

Most of the contiguous States,

British Columbia (lived there for 8 years).

Ireland ( lived there jr year and summer after grad.)

Cameroon ( lived there 2 years)

Kenya

Quebec

England , France , Spain, Germany, Switzerland

Mexico, the Dominican Republic

Favorite: Ireland

Farthest: Kenya

Edited by freesia

Where have you traveled?

In the US: CA, MO, KS, OK, NV, AZ, CO (every summer growing up), IL, NE, SD, FL, PA, IA, NM, TX

Internationally: Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Greece, France, Germany, Austria, Monaco, Italy, Belgium, Switzerland, Spain, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, UK

Syria (pre-war obviously :crying: ) and Italy (Venice and Amalfi coast and Florence) and floating on the Nile (I prefer in Aswan to Cairo)

Syria I'm pretty sure, maybe luxor, egypt by mileage

I have lived in several states: (CT, NY, PA, TX), visited others (FL, LA, OK, CA, MA, NJ, MO, DC, HI, PR, NV) and driven through still more to get there.

Worked in Cyprus and Dominican Republic

Visited: England, France, Mexico, Jamaica

Favorite?  Hawaii for natural beauty, Paris for man-made beauty, Vegas and Disney World for entertainment

Farthest would have to be Cyprus where I worked for a few months living in a condo overlooking the Meditterean Sea..

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/16411168?source=wapi&referrer=kh.google.com

ETA - I was inspired by the memories this post stirred up to find the place I stayed. This was the view I had!  Thanks, Google Earth!

Edited by J&JMom

I've been to every US state except Alaska, North Dakota, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. I've lived in six different states on both sides of the country. We travelled to a lot of Mexico while we lived in Guadalajara and to a little bit of Kyrgyzstan while we lived there (we didn't have a car in Kyrgyzstan). From Kyrgyzstan we visited China and Kazakhstan. I spent a lot of time in college in Palestine, Jordan, and Egypt. I've been to Canada a couple of times.

I'm finally going to Europe in a couple of weeks on our way to Saudi Arabia. I've been in the Paris, London, Frankfurt, Dublin, Moscow, Istanbul, and Baku airports on my way to and from other places though. :)

I truly loved Mexico, especially Mexico City and the Yucatan (not the tourist parts though). Kyrgyzstan's mountains are wonderful and it was always an adventure living there. Visiting Xi'an was amazing. And I will never, ever forget Cairo and Jerusalem. I can't pick a favorite.

I guess Kyrgyzstan is the furthest away I've been.

Where have you traveled?

As a kid, my family camped extensively throughout the southwestern US, and then my dad lived in Colorado, Maine, and Missouri during the years after he and my mom divorced, so we of course went there to visit.

When my dad was in Maine, we also visited Canada and Vermont.

We had relatives in very south Texas, so visited Mexico.

In college, I spent a summer in Queens, NY.

As an adult, we have traveled a lot as well. We lived 6 yrs in Brazil, so traveled extensively throughout the country while there, mostly along the coast, but also one trip to the Amazon (area around Manaus, and then up different tributaries).

Other vacations:

Florida Keys

Grants, NM

St. Louis, MO

Sarasota, FL (road trip from TX)

Fort Collins area, CO (visiting family)

San Diego, CA

Cozumel, Mexico

Cruise that included Progresso and Cozumel

Buenos Aires, Argentina

"Brazil" seems too large a thing to say, and isn't 100% honest, but to NOT say it also feels dishonest...probably my favorite would be this gorgeous island, Fernando de Noronha, off the coast of Brazil. It was our farewell trip, and it is simply stunning. Truly, I have never seen any place more beautiful in my life.

For more sentimental reasons, the little city that we always took our family to visit when they came to Brazil, Paraty, will forever remain a favorite. It is the only place in Brazil that we went for vacation more than once, and I miss it.

Just to round out my top three, I have to say the Amazon trip. I could have easily spent a month there and still not had my fill. Really, my family will argue, in some ways it was my favorite, even though it is hard to admit a non-beach vacation could trump all the others, but there was just a magic and beauty and other-worldliness about it....it was truly captivating.

Well, moving to Brazil was pretty far from home. So, from my TX home, Brazil in general. Within Brazil, the farthest we went from our home there to a vacation was the Amazon trip. Back in the US and not counting Brazil, I'd have to check miles...I assume Maine/Canada when I was a teen, and then San Diego as a married adult. Oh, except, duh -- Argentina. That was just DH and I, so I keep forgetting to count it. That was after we were back in the US so definitely farther than San Diego.

Born and raised in the UK.

First overseas trip to Canary Islands aged about 14/15.

School trip aged 16 to Italy - went by coach through France, and Austria to get there.

Family holiday to Tunisia.

Greek island trip after completing A levels.

Lived in Munich for six months aged 18.

Another different Greek island holiday.

In college traveled by rail around Europe one summer: France, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Czechoslovakia (aging myself), Yugoslavia (really aging myself), Turkey, Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland, Switzerland.

Lived in Austria for one school year in college and revisited Czech Republic, Slovakia, Germany and Poland.

Met American husband-to-be so visited him in New York while in final year at college.

After college got married in Mexico City.

Lived in NY and PNW and Alaska. Visited/drove through Canada multiple times. Drove cross country a couple of times. Visited UK multiple times, as well as Austria and Germany.

Lived in Republic of Georgia. Visited Turkey and Armenia.

Lived in Suriname. Visited French Guiana and Trinidad and Tobago and Miami. Spent a long time in Aruba airport but don't count that.

Lived in Zambia. Visited South Africa. Also Zurich for a day or two en route to post.

Live now in Turkey. Visit UK more often. Also took kids to Italy and this summer will visit Iceland, Ireland and Greece. Spent a day with kids in Munich en route to post.

Writing this down makes me feel supremely grateful and privileged and in awe of my kids' experiences. So grateful for my husband's job. He has traveled far more extensively both before I met him and with his job.

• Like 1